*Sigh* 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Consideration

• Moderators

So, for the past three years I have been driving a 2012 Ford Fusion. I've wanted an SUV ever since I got rid of my Chevrolet Blazer. Accidentally (I mean literally, just drove by while working) spotted the "Trailhawk" Jeeps at the local dealership.

Stock photo, pretty close but the one I'm eyeing has silver instead of the black wheels. Like the black wheels bester, but that package costs more and I'm already on the upperside of almost being too much.

2014_jeep_cherokee_altitude_l.jpg

Received something from the local dealership about wanting to pay up to $4,000 more on trade in for my Ford Fusion. Figured probably marketing gimmick but why not try. Went and test drove Jeep today. Went back after work to attempt to buy, if we could reach an agreement. Was literally told to come back tomorrow because that is when corporate comes in tomorrow in order to "run" the "sale". Was also told to just drive the vehicle home tonight, which I did (which sadly was probably the smartest thing the salesman could have done to "hook" me. I have really spent some time in that thing, now I do feel attached.

So, nutshells:

$32,000 asking after rebates/incentives/discounts whatever
"$14,000" trade in for my Ford Fusion (if the "offer" in the mail was remotely truthful. KBB trade-in is about $10,000.

Really just means they are knocking off $4,000 from a new vehicle purchase in my opinion, which probably means they will be pretty inflexible in pricing. Supposedly also paying up to $1,500 in sales tax, which is about all I would have on a trade plus a few hundred.

I REALLY want this vehicle, honestly. Never had a vehicle this nice, very surprised at how nice it is. Pretty much fully loaded except for some of the packages such as the heated seats package or the "sensor" package that tells you when you are about to hit something.

Does have a backup cam, navigation, remote start, 8.4" touchscreen, 4x4, 3.2l V6, power up/down hatch, probably more but cannot think of it now.

I have a number in my head that if they could do, I'll buy it no questions more. My trade + $15,000 financed through their or my lender, whichever better. I seriously doubt that is possible but that is my offer to them. Unless someone that works there happens to be a member here, I don't think I will hurt myself by admitting I would probably come up to maybe $17,000 out of pocket, but that's about it.

So, what am I looking for specifically in this purchase?

1) SUV, yep
2) 4x4, yep (won't be really off-roading, but wanted for if I need it in snow, mud, trail or something unexpectedly.
3) reliability (I know people swore by the Cherokee inline 6's, sadly those are no more but I would expect or at least hope this vehicle would prove reliable 150k miles for at least 10 years if need be and maintained.

Towing is a plus but I don't have anything to tow. If by chance asked to help someone on the side of the road tow hooks are nice to help them out of the side of the road, I guess. I want capability even though not necessarily expecting to use it much for 4x4/off road.

So, for anyone that has recently purchased a Jeep or Chrysler, especially from Crown in Cleveland or Chattanooga, how did you do? They have what they call "transparent" pricing in which they claim to "have the best deal available no hassle". Well, that is a $32k vehicle. Personally I feel there is some haggle. I know some people buying for example Ford trucks claim to get down $10k off the sticker price. How much honestly do you think I should "stick to" if they did actually honor their "trade offer" of $14,000 for my Fusion and the $32,0000 sticker price of the Jeep? Is me hoping for trade + $15,000 financed out the door unrealistic or doable with proper negotiation. Not afraid to leave but also I don't want to hassle over a few bucks, just want what is honestly a fair to good deal for me.

Any thoughts, concerns, input, or experience with Jeep Cherokee's (2014 or 2015 in particular)?

• Moderators

Call Dave Ramsey. Fast.

Hahaha. Well I know what his answer would be of course. And typically I generally do follow his advice. But truthfully the monthly payment will be roughly the equivalent of what it was when buying the Fusion, which is now paid for (took 2.5 years to pay it off). Monthly payment wise, it is easily doable.

Yes, the Fusion is paid for and no car payment beats any car payment. But I have missed having an SUV ever since I got rid of my old one. Yes the smart thing is to save cash and pay cash, but reasonably speaking saving $15,000 over the next three years would not get me a Jeep. In three years my Fusion will be worth less. At 2% or even lower interest, I feel depreciation would probably hit my trade in more than the interest of paying the financing. If I do it, I will owe roughly half of what it is worth, and will make extra payments in order to pay it off in probably 3 years or so. At any point I should owe at least $10,000 less than it is worth so if at any point I needed to "get out" I could comfortably with equity in my favor. It'd be like I had a 40% downpayment ready for it.

This post, in my opinion, isn't so much as whether it is the most financially responsible thing to do, but rather how negotiable the dealer really is (how much wiggle room is really there for a new vehicle), whether the "new" Cherokee's are even any good/reliable, and whether there is something major to consider regarding the Jeep that perhaps I haven't thought about.
  • Like 1
Yea, letting you drive it home is one of the best sales tools they have to use on anyone they think are on the fence about buying.

Regarding reliability, I swore off Chrysler products several years ago after some bad experiences with transmissions and internal engine issues. In past years many of their models have had transmission issues so be sure to do your homework on their current reliability. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Edit. My reliability comments were more directed towards Chrysler than Jeep so they might not apply in this case. I do seem to recall that Cherokee's have had their share of problems too.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk Edited by Trekbike
  • Moderators

Yea, letting you drive it home is one of the best sales tools they have to use on anyone they think are on the fence about buying.

Regarding reliability, I swore off Chrysler products several years ago after some bad experiences with transmissions and internal engine issues. In past years many of their models have had transmission issues so be sure to do your homework on their current reliability. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Well, I wouldn't honestly much consider a Dodge or Chrysler make, and I hope Jeep would hopefully be a step above their parent company but maybe not. Regarding taking it home, I new what he was doing but I also appreciated that it would give me an "extended" test drive. If I drove it longer and loved it that is just part of buying a car. If I drove it more and found something I disliked and wouldn't have discovered until after a purchase, then in that case that could be a big money saver.

Thus, I decided to give it a try. Just so happened loved it so far.

Well, I wouldn't honestly much consider a Dodge or Chrysler make, and I hope Jeep would hopefully be a step above their parent company but maybe not. Regarding taking it home, I new what he was doing but I also appreciated that it would give me an "extended" test drive. If I drove it longer and loved it that is just part of buying a car. If I drove it more and found something I disliked and wouldn't have discovered until after a purchase, then in that case that could be a big money saver.

Thus, I decided to give it a try. Just so happened loved it so far.

It looks like my edit was posted right after you quoted my post so we had similar thoughts regarding Jeep reliability compared to Chrysler.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sounds like they got you hooked, and you have made up your mind. Bottom line is your the one pulling the trigger, if you can live with the deal and it makes you happy that's all that matters. :2cents:

PS. Do your homework and never deal on window sticker price.

Edited by crossfire
  • Moderators
Well, I do love it but it depends on OTD price and reliability. Reliability is really a hard one seeing as how it is a newer "fresh" model.

I have spent 30 minutes reading and it seems like half of the reviews are about people complaining about transmission problems at extremely low mileage.

Love the look, love the ride and amenities, but not looking for something that has faulty design.
  • Moderators
So, wow.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Cherokee/2015/transmission/transmission_failure_check_engine_light_on.shtml

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?prodType=V&searchType=PROD&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=CHEROKEE&stats=1977408%2C2%2C1%2C146%2C9%2CCHEROKEE&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.model_yr=2015&searchCriteria.make=JEEP&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1977408

Looks like it probably does suffer from transmission problems. Sucks because I do really want for it to be reliable. Just don't want something that will cause problems. Will continue to do more research. Looks like it is something they have been trying to fix, but "trying" seems to be the important part. I personally am not convinced nor knowledgable enough to have confidence in or knowledge to know mores about what the issue truly is in the design. Software programming or hardware failure? Both?
Wife has a 14 latitude 4 cylinder awd...no problems with it; very comfortable and driveable vehicle. We work in auto retail so she got a great pricing.

The 9 speed transmission is smooth.

No experience with Crown, has never been in my sales territory.

Corporate coming in for a sale to me means an outside sales company - we call them gangster sales, traveling gypsies and really slick mailers to get you in.

Be careful on pricing...are they working from sales price or trade difference?

Looks good in your driveway doesn't it...it's called the puppy dog close..

I drive a 1990 Toyota CrapWeasel. It's hard to give up something that just keeps on running.

And that you don't have to make payments on, I drive a 2000 ford truck and will drive it till the doors fall off, all while paying myself a car payment each month so when I need something different , We Pay Cash

Don't be a slave to the lender, call Dave
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Wife has a 14 latitude 4 cylinder awd...no problems with it; very comfortable and driveable vehicle. We work in auto retail so she got a great pricing.

The 9 speed transmission is smooth.

No experience with Crown, has never been in my sales territory.

Corporate coming in for a sale to me means an outside sales company - we call them gangster sales, traveling gypsies and really slick mailers to get you in.

Be careful on pricing...are they working from sales price or trade difference?

Looks good in your driveway doesn't it...it's called the puppy dog close..

Thanks. How many miles?

Well, I am going to make sure that I get a decent price going to negotiate hard since I don't even need a new vehicle, just want. But I assume this time of year coupled with such a sale probably means trying to get rid of old stock. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much anything today can come with all the options you are mentioning.

Myself I am loyal to Ford and Toyota. They are the two makes that have proven themselves to me personally. I have a 25 year old Toyota that has been beat to death several times and always keeps living, and my wife and I both drive late model Fords (Mustang and Fiesta) that have been very solid and reliable. Her Fiesta came with a lot of bells and whistles. In dash nav, Bluetooth, Sync, XM, traction control, 6" touch screen, mood lighting, etc. That is not something you expect in the cheapest/most basic car in a manufacture's line-up.

While I am not sure that Ford has something off road based in an SUV, they do have plenty of AWD offerings.

That was my thought, do you need 4x4 or is AWD ok?  That opens up a lot of things.  And will you really go offroad?  Not just in a field or something, but really on some rutted trail, etc?  If not, AWD would be just fine.

Thanks. How many miles?

Well, I am going to make sure that I get a decent price going to negotiate hard since I don't even need a new vehicle, just want. But I assume this time of year coupled with such a sale probably means trying to get rid of old stock. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30k, btw if they'll print you out a deal sheet and you post it, I could probably figger if you are getting fair pricing... Edited by Gotthegoods

Chrysler, Dodge, Ram and Jeep are all the same.  I'd run like hell before I'd buy one of those.  My personal experiences with Jeep still smarts.  I had the best mechanic at a local Jeep dealership told me to sell it cause he didn't know what was wrong with it.  He told me to buy a Toyota or Honda.  That's a ringing endorsement for Jeep if you ask me!!!  I'd drive a paid for car before I'd take out a loan on a Chrysler product.  If I was going to take out a loan, I'd get a Honda or Toyota.  Most cars are too expensive for me to even think about.  I'd love a Mustang GT, but I wouldn't pay $38K for a Mustang.

So, lets get this thread some replies.

for a 4x4 SUV with great reliability and decent but not over the top amenities, what are my best options to compare to the Trailhawk?

I'd check out the Explorer if you want US. If import, I'd look at the 4 Runner.
  • Moderators
Hahaha. Really so relieved to be truthful.

Spent 1.5 hours at dealership earlier. Turns out that the "deal" offer of $14,000 trade in ($4,000 extra) means that they work from the sticker price without rebates. Too good to be true, probably is.

http://www.crownchryslerdodgejeep.com/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Cherokee-d1c0f4370a0a00e07c09a670f99441d6.htm

That is the exact vehicle.

I was thinking about $32,000-$14,000 = $18,000 range. Now, there initial offer was trade + $27,000 OTD. Told them that we were so far off that I didn't want to waste their time. Told them I was in the trade + $15,000 range. I was told that would take "magic".

Wasted 1.5 hours of their time (or is that them wasting 1.5 hours of mine?).

They eventually came down to $25,000 + trade OTD.

Honestly glad, although it is a GREAT looking vehicle inside and out, the transmission reports had me questioning everything.

Relived because that means the "magical $4,000 extra" offer in the mail means absolutely nothing at all, and I am free of course to take as much time in the world researching makes, models, and dealerships.

Will be taking recommendations and comparing all used and new SUV's. Don't even know I"ll do anything, but it would be fun to.

Those guys thought they had me.

Not saying that is a bad deal, but just more than I was willing to do. They convinced me to let them bring a base model Cherokee without all the extras but still has 4 x 4 in tomorrow. Told them if they did that I would test drive it. Would be a beat cheaper but I still don't think I'll even consider any offer unless they really hit me hard with a tempting good deal.