380 Suggestions

I'd have to second TN-popo's recommendation. FMJ and frequent practice.

Doc Robert's compilation of data on handgun rounds and their actual use is an outstanding resource.

Doc Robert's keeps a running thread and interaction on another site. Here's a link to his discussion and info on .380 vs .38 spl...I know that's not what you asked, but his info on .380 in that discussion also recommends FMJ loads. It appears there just isn't any .380 rounds in current production that consistently render adequate penetration and expansion. Like Doc Roberts said:       " We all want expansion, we need penetration"...and reliability.

very redundant link LOL :https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4336-BUG-s-380-ACP-vs-38-Sp

Edited by prag
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So I bought a S&W Bodyguard 380 for light carry and I am looking for some ammo suggestions. Let me know if any of you guy have any experience with the 380 round.

make it :) 

380 has always been and probably always will be over priced.   You can probably make it for under 10 bucks / 50 without even getting creative or extra cheap. 

If that isn't an option, S&B makes a good 380 practice round on the cheap.

For carry,  you have to first decide if you want to try JHP or just go solid.  If solid, just about any decent round will do.   If hollow point, try buffalo bore or if afraid of that, hornady's  rubber tip stuff.

So I bought a S&W Bodyguard 380 for light carry and I am looking for some ammo suggestions. Let me know if any of you guy have any experience with the 380 round.

I've had experience with the .380 round... then I switched to 9mm! :D  Well actually, I mostly carry a S&W .38spl. snubbie.

Edited by Moped

How is the kick on the Bodyguard? My wife was leaning towards .380, and that was the model I was looking at. She ended up going w/ the Ruger LC9s, instead, but for pocket-carry, it was that or the little'r ruger. Guys at the gun store steered her back towards the bigger 9 w/ concerns about the recoil in such a small package, but I really liked those pocket-guns!

The folks at Luckygunner.com did a huge test of a variety of Ammo, including multiple .380 Hollow rounds in ballistics gel. Very thorough IMO, check it out and decide for yourself. IIRC, the Hydra Shok from Federal did well in all caliber's, including .380 (good expansion, penetrated 12-18 inches on every round).

- K

How is the kick on the Bodyguard? My wife was leaning towards .380, and that was the model I was looking at. She ended up going w/ the Ruger LC9s, instead, but for pocket-carry, it was that or the little'r ruger. Guys at the gun store steered her back towards the bigger 9 w/ concerns about the recoil in such a small package, but I really liked those pocket-guns!

The folks at Luckygunner.com did a huge test of a variety of Ammo, including multiple .380 Hollow rounds in ballistics gel. Very thorough IMO, check it out and decide for yourself. IIRC, the Hydra Shok from Federal did well in all caliber's, including .380 (good expansion, penetrated 12-18 inches on every round).

- K

most of the small 380s have nearly identical recoil.  The sig seems to be slightly lower and I have no idea why. 

slightly bigger ones like bersa are much more comfortable without going full sized 9mm.  This size fits a pocket but not as well; I carried nearly the same thing as a Makarov for a decade in my pocket. 

"Most" gun store sellers have a hangup when selling anything to women.   A healthy woman can shoot anything a healthy man can with a few exceptions for exceptionally large showpiece guns.  Since you are not talking about those today,  the only other issue is the trigger pull.  I can't pull the heavy triggers on some of these pistols, so watch out for that.   If you can't pull it easily, allowing for back to back shots to empty the mag in about 1 second per shot, then its too heavy or too long or both and in my PERSONAL opinion not good enough for defense.   If you watch out for those 2 issues,  let her decide the rest for herself and ignore (politely) any "steering" your gun seller tries to pull.     

• Like 3
My wife shoots my P3AT just fine. She doesn't enjoy shooting it, but neither do I. I shoot it enough to be proficient, and that's all. Her Shield 9mm is way nicer to shoot. The .380 is a tool for a specific purpose, and it does that quite well. I'd say it's about the same recoil as a .38 snubby with less muzzle blast.