Pocket Revolver Triggers, need help/info

JoeJ615

i've always avoided any DAO handguns like the plague for fear of the long heavy trigger pull, but my wife wants to get her carry permit and i've been looking for a good deal on a Ruger LCR ... mainly because i had a recent transaction with a gentleman and had an opportunity to dry fire his LCR and i REALLY liked the trigger on the gun, but i'm wondering if there is anything else similar in size and price range (like the S&W bodyguard) that i should be looking for as well .. i'm not a big revolver guy and even less so when it comes to the light weight pocket variety so any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Insofar as unmodified NIB DAO small 5 rounds revolvers go the LCR has the better trigger. It isn't the gun I'd choose though as I prefer the S&W J frame action I can easily access and work on myself. I've always thought having a S&W Airweight for regular carry and an all steel M-36 or M-60 for frequent shooting was a good combination. I have seen Colt and S&W alloy frames crack and become unserviceable due to a frequent diet of hot hand loads and +p ammunition.

I vote for the Ruger LC9S, the newer striker fired compact.  Slightly larger than a "pocket" pistol.  The trigger is awesome compared to the original DAO trigger on previous model of the same pistol.

I have the DAO model.  I bought it 3 months before they released the striker fired model.

EDIT:  Just realized you were only looking for a revolver, ignore above statement.

Edited by KaNaPaPi

When my wife got her permit she went a tried out a lot of hand guns, she picked the LCR.

We shoot a good bit and she can hit very well out to 20 yards, no I do not worry about her one bit.

Edited by RED333

i've always avoided any DAO handguns like the plague for fear of the long heavy trigger pull, but my wife wants to get her carry permit and i've been looking for a good deal on a Ruger LCR ... mainly because i had a recent transaction with a gentleman and had an opportunity to dry fire his LCR and i REALLY liked the trigger on the gun, but i'm wondering if there is anything else similar in size and price range (like the S&W bodyguard) that i should be looking for as well .. i'm not a big revolver guy and even less so when it comes to the light weight pocket variety so any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks

physics works against you.  The smaller the gun, the shorter the internal level *can* be and the stouter the hammer spring must be.  And there is a minimal amount of force needed to pop a primer.  Add to it, the cylinder must also rotate, extra force for that small as it is.  Almost all small revolvers are going to have, at best, a moderate trigger pull that will be long and heavy.  MOST revolvers of ANY kind can have the "return" spring (this is the spring that pushes the trigger back to reset position when you let go of it) lightened significantly... many pistols have 5 or more pounds of wasted force tied up in compressing this spring.  Polish the parts, replace the spring with the lightest one that will work, and you will have a major improvement.  If that isn't enough you can often lighten the hammer spring, depends on the design and model.  This can lead to light strike problem if you take it too far.   All told you can get the trigger down to around 3-5 pounds over a huge travel distance (often over 1/2 an inch) for many models with just a spring replacement and touch up polishing (reduced friction, less return spring needed).   Bigger frames can get it even lower; wifes full size 357 is right at or below 3 pounds (and it light strikes on some primers set up like that, but its sweet to shoot using soft primer reloads).

Before you buy your wife a revolver, go rent some and let her try them out.  A little airweight pistol is not necessarily for the faint of heart.  My S&W Airweight Model 38 is a handful.  After shooting a box of 50 .38spl LRN, you feel it.

If she can handle a Model 38, though, I recommend them, though!  They are snag free but can still be be cocked.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

Definitely let her shoot before you buy.

The little guns can smack the hand harder than a lot of the big boys.

But yeah, totally echoing what everyone has said about the LCR's trigger. J frames can be slicked up nicely but they hit a ceiling for reliability at a point.

Couple years ago I bought a S&W 642 that came with a factory trigger job through Davidson's.  Definitely made a big difference - prior to that gun I had never much cared for J-frames.  They still have both the 642 and 442 available with that configuration.  Adds about $60 to the out-the-door price.

As an owner of a LCR and about a half dozen j frames I can see why some say that the LCR may have a better trigger. However, everyone who spends any amount of time shooting will find their self short strokeing the LCR's trigger. I like the nostalgia and accessory selection of the j frame over the LCR.

Where the LCR shines is the caliber selection. The 17oz LCR K is the perfect weight for carry and shooting 38spls while giving you the option for magnums if you dare. The similar 9mm version can eliminate the problem of finding satisfactory 38spl defense ammo. The LCR 22LR can give you an identical platform for practice. Yes, you can achieve all of that with a S&W 640-1, 940, and a 317 but only after you spend three times as much compared to te Rugers.

thanks for all the info guys, i did end up going the route of the KLCR in .357, slightly heavier than the .38 but not so much so that you can really feel any difference in the pocket holster ... and now she's really wanting the LCR in .22LR to get some trigger time on our back deck using CCI Quiet ammo lol 

Let me tell you my experience. The Speer 135 Gr Gold Dots in 357 magnum are about the only tolerable magnum out of such a light magnum. I only mention that since there are such few 38spl loads worthy of defense, the Speer 135 (38), the Remington 158 LSWCHP, and the Corbon 110 DPX. All the others fail to expand reliably.

J-frame + $25 bucks worth of Apex and about 10 minutes = as good as a little 5-shot snubbie gets.

X2

I had a S&W M&P340 with and apex trigger in it and it was great. Quite a handful with max load .357s but light as a feather to carry and barked quite loud when I needed it to.
I would recommend before you go and buy a revolver for your wife you may want to take her to the range and rent a few different revolvers. The trigger of a LCR is very good, but the recoil maybe too much for her to handle as would some of the S&W light weights. If that is the case, the Ruger sp101 maybe another option with the hogue replacement grips. Yes the gun is heavier and it does have an exposed hammer but the recoil may feel less to her.
Forgive me but I didn't have time to read all of the comments.

The LCR trigger doesn't stack like all the other revolvers. So the lbs pull is consistent all the way through to it breaking. The precieved feel is lighter than a stacking trigger.

The LCR has the hogue tamer grip with a soft insert, it helps a lot. Better yet, get the non finger grove three inch (LCRX 3inch) hogue tamer grip and put it on the Snubble LCR. The extra length of this grip yields unbelievable comfort shooting. My wife can shoot.38 +P all day with the longer grip. I picked up a 3inch grip at a local place. Apparently hogue released them to retail.

LCR or LCRX (exposed hammer) or the LCRX3 are great choices. I sold off my small smiths. Edited by Tncobra