Glock 19 or full size M&P9

leprechaun

Gen 4.  Better ergos.  There were some ejection problems early on but Glock sorted that out quickly.

I agree. Of all of the Glock's I've owned or was issued since around 1990 an issued 4th gen G-27 had the very best Glock trigger I'd encountered. Since then I've handled a number of fairly recent 4th gen G-19's and loved them. There's thing's I really like about the M&P and dislike about the Glock but overall time investment and experience centers around the Glock.

I have short trigger fingers and big palms, so Glocks don't fit me very well. BUT, I've been a Glock guy for 20 years because they were the smart choice. When the M&Ps came out, I immediately bought a FS9 and a 9C and was thrilled with the ergos. I sold all but my G19 and G26 and then bought a Shield. The Shield is the only S&W that did not fail me. I had accuracy issues, Failures to extract, dead trigger problems and once the white dot fell out of my rear sight. 4 M&Ps went back to the factory once each but did not return reliable enough for carry. I gave up on S&W - except for my Shield which was flawless enough that I gave it to my grandson on his 21st birthday. 

If I could be CERTAIN I would get a solid 9C and FS9, I would re-convert in a second - I like them that much - but that was the worst experience I ever had with a firearm. I plan to buy a G43 to replace the Shield and continue life as a Glock guy until Walther puts out a compact PPQ to go with my M2.

How many magazines do you think you'd like to have?  Coming from New York you should give this serious thought.  If you're going to be a magazine slut (like say more than 20, and if that is the criteria then I certainly qualify) then consider that Glock factory mags are some of the least expensive out there.  You can get new ones for $20 and police trade-ins for around $15.  The new Magpul Glock mags are also $15.  Ergonomical issues can be dealt with through practice (which you should be doing a lot of anyway).  Cost of ownership never goes away.

• Like 2

Both are good pistols with well-published track records.  Disregard everyone's opinion and get yourself to a range and shoot both guns, see which works best for you.  Everyone's hands are different, everyone's shooting experience is different.  If you can swing it, take a handgun class at a range where you can rent both guns and spend a few hours doing drills.  That's when you really begin to find out which is the right choice for you.

I wanted a 9mm, and since Glock "is the AK of handguns", I went with the 19.  I made the mistake of going with a Gen-4. 

I saw many reviews of target pros who probably did mods before they fired the first round. 

If you want to pop caps, it's a fine gun.  If you want to run a tight pattern, it needs trigger work. 

Some folks just polish the parts and say it's nice, (25c mod).  I found a cheep, competition trigger system on e-bay; it's nice. 

It's simple work to do it yourself, but the Gen-4 isn't an improvement.

I have 2 Gen4 19s. Both are very accurate and shoot great with no mods required.

The only issue I have had is the trigger pin walking out a bit on the first range session, which seems to be a common complaint with the Gen4s. I reseated the pin and no more issues after a couple hundred rounds.

I've had both and much prefer the SW M&P grip and trigger. I added the apex trigger to both my full size and compact M&P's. The Glock trigger just made my trigger finger sore with prolong shooting. Try both and choice the one you shoot the best.

• Moderators

I wanted a 9mm, and since Glock "is the AK of handguns", I went with the 19. I made the mistake of going with a Gen-4.

I saw many reviews of target pros who probably did mods before they fired the first round.
If you want to pop caps, it's a fine gun. If you want to run a tight pattern, it needs trigger work.
Some folks just polish the parts and say it's nice, (25c mod). I found a cheep, competition trigger system on e-bay; it's nice.

It's simple work to do it yourself, but the Gen-4 isn't an improvement.

And I disagree. I sold my 3's to buy 4's. I like them myself.

Also, doesn't Hickok45 shoot stock Glocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean no disrespect, but chances are it's not the Glock that needs some fine tuning.  My Gen 4 groups plenty tight and is plenty accurate.  The shooter behind my Glock's trigger had to learn to shoot it though.

Exactly correct, the Glock trigger and grip frame angle are unlike any other pistol(s) I've handled or fired and I've shot numerous striker fired pistols. I've seen people who've never shot a pistol before receive instruction on a Glock and take to it like a duck to water. I've also seen people who have extensive experience with 1911 & BHP platform pistols have fits shooting a Glock. Bottom line you've got to learn how to shoot a Glock because it take a totally different technique.

A few months ago when I was looking I tried several and went with gen 4 19. I could not be more happy. Over 1000 rounds through it now and not the first issue from a single round. About to buy my wife a 19 also so I don't have to change out back straps for her on mine. While both are nice guns the gen 4 19 with large beaver tail back strap fits my huge hand perfect. And not sure about conversion kit for the S&W but I love to slide on the advantage arms 22lr slide and shoot a bunch of cheap 22lr.

Thanks guys, ya im moving to middle Tennessee, Nashville/Murfreesboro area. I may just take you up on that!

I'm originally from NY as well. Love living here in TN. I own several Glocks and have shot a few M and P's. Both shoot great. Both are reliable. I don't live too far away from Glock in Smyrna, GA so I go down at least once a year and they go over the guns, replace parts as needed at no charge, while I wait 45 minutes. There is no better customer service than that. You can also have 15 year night sites installed for $57 by the factory. If you're going to Nashville, a trip toward the Atlanta area isn't out of the question. Just take your gun with you and get it looked at whenever you want. Too handy for me to ignore. Edited by deafdogdief

I miss my 19 so much. It was such a fantastic shooter. As soon as I get more disposable income, I will be picking one up.

This'll tempt you: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=5226&name=Glock+19+9mm+Gen+2+Law+Enforcement+Trade+In

I'm originally from NY as well. Love living here in TN. I own several Glocks and have shot a few M and P's. Both shoot great. Both are reliable. I don't live too far away from Glock in Smyrna, GA so I go down at least once a year and they go over the guns, replace parts as needed at no charge, while I wait 45 minutes. There is no better customer service than that. You can also have 15 year night sites installed for $57 by the factory. If you're going to Nashville, a trip toward the Atlanta area isn't out of the question. Just take your gun with you and get it looked at whenever you want. Too handy for me to ignore.

How's that work?  I want to have new sights put on my two model 19s and will be in that area later this week.  Can I just bring them by?  Schedule an appointment?

This'll tempt you: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=5226&name=Glock+19+9mm+Gen+2+Law+Enforcement+Trade+In

How's that work? I want to have new sights put on my two model 19s and will be in that area later this week. Can I just bring them by? Schedule an appointment?

If only I had some money to blow. I love the Gen 2 guns. I feel if the next generation of Glocks had the finger grips removed, had Gen 4 texture, and a grip reduction we would truly have perfection. Edited by shotgunshooter
  • Like 1
How's that work? I want to have new sights put on my two model 19s and will be in that area later this week. Can I just bring them by? Schedule an appointment?[/quote]
Just go to the factory. Be there before the cutoff. I think 4p.m. Bring your mags and everything for the gun so they can go over everything. Edited by deafdogdief

How's that work? I want to have new sights put on my two model 19s and will be in that area later this week. Can I just bring them by? Schedule an appointment?

Just go to the factory. Be there before the cutoff. I think 4p.m. Bring your mags and everything for the gun so they can go over everything.
  • Like 1