Official Thread of 2015-2016 deer season

Got a small 7 point yesterday morn.

Nuthin fancy, got out to the huntin house a little late, about 6:20.

A little after 7 this little fella came sneakin around the south side.

Steady walkin and not stoppin, so I ease the 308 MX out the window.

Bang, he goes down. I sit the rifle down grab up the pistol,

as I'm leaving the shack, I see him stand up.

So I jump in the truck right quick, and ease over. 

There he is, guess he just stood up and then just fell back down.

Range finder said 73 yds., that 170 gr. Speer Hot Cor over 41.1 gns LVR

made a complete pass thru, and he never really went any where.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/sidinslinger/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/20151218_073533_zps6xdqfjzm.jpg~original

• Like 1

Question for you deer hunters......

Today, Checked my game camera and all I saw was a lot of does. Thus far I have only shot a buck and have the following licenses:

01 Resident Combo Hunt/Fish

09 Resident Big Game Gun

I plan to hunt where my game camera is next week and if all I see is does, do I need a different license to shoot a doe? 

Question for you deer hunters......

Today, Checked my game camera and all I saw was a lot of does. Thus far I have only shot a buck and have the following licenses:

01 Resident Combo Hunt/Fish
09 Resident Big Game Gun

I plan to hunt where my game camera is next week and if all I see is does, do I need a different license to shoot a doe?

Yes, you need a Type 94 to kill does
  • Like 1
Gun, Muzzleloader and Archery Nov. 21, 2015–Jan. 3, 2016 3/day*
Type 094 permit required - See more at: https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/deer-seasons#sthash.zBTeGfbu.dpuf

For Unit L you don't need the Type 94 for does during bow or muzzleloader season on private property, but you do for rifle (regardless of weapons being used). Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1

Gun, Muzzleloader and Archery Nov. 21, 2015–Jan. 3, 2016 3/day*
Type 094 permit required - See more at: https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/deer-seasons#sthash.zBTeGfbu.dpuf

For Unit L you don't need the Type 94 for does during bow or muzzleloader season on private property, but you do for rifle (regardless of weapons being used).

My point was that it is not listed on the resident license page, so their is no price offered on the twra site that I saw.

It is listed as a permit, not a licence for some reason.  It says it is a special season/WMA non-quota permit.  I wonder if bucks in a WMA count towards the 2 buck limit?

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/hunting-permits-j1

This is my first year to deer hunt in probably 35 years and I do think they could be just a bit clearer with the licenses and limits that we can do in TN.

This is my first year to deer hunt in probably 35 years and I do think they could be just a bit clearer with the licenses and limits that we can do in TN.

2 buck limit is state wide.

After reading page 27 of this I will admit it is a little confusing and am now of the opinion you do need a type 094.

http://tn.gov/assets/entities/twra/attachments/huntguide.pdf
1219150857_zps8zzi78vw.jpg

#6 for the year and I'm done. Gonna try and get my boy on his first during the juvenile hunt or maybe before. Shot this doe with a 6.8SPCII. Stag Model 5 upper with a lower I built from PSA parts and Magpul furniture.

Killed 3 does and a 9 point on the muzzleloader and a 7 point and this doe during rifle. Been a great season, I've seen more deer and passed more deer than I ever have. Edited by Bad_Bowtie
  • Like 3
There is no question, you must have a type 94 permit in order to hunt doe during rifle season. The most important opinion (in this matter) is that of the TWRA and their opinion is that you must have the 94 permit.
Here's another side of it that'll make your head spin (I'll see if I can put it clearly). In unit L, if you have shot your 2 buck limit and decide you're done deer hunting for the year but want to hunt coyote, you still have to have the type 94 because "they don't know that you're not hunting doe". In east tn I don't think you can even hunt cities once yoube taken your two bucks because you can't take doe at will over there.

You do not have to have a 094 to hunt a doe during rifle in unit B. See the anterless deer calendar.

You're correct, I think the discussion was about unit L though. I'm assuming you're in unit B? What's the buck/doe ratio like in your area? The reason I ask is that it seems like some unit B areas have every bit as many doe as your average unit L county yet they've not opened it up to hunt doe like we're allowed in L.

It is listed as a permit, not a licence for some reason.  It says it is a special season/WMA non-quota permit.  I wonder if bucks in a WMA count towards the 2 buck limit?

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/hunting-permits-j1

Yes. Two buck limit unless you are hunting an area that states "Deer harvested on ********** are BONUS deer and DO NOT count toward your statewide limit".

Dave

Edited by DaveS