What To Do In Nashville?

analog_kidd

I grew up in South Florida and the Miami Dolphins have been my team that I hate to love over the years. I always hope for a repeat of 1972, but they never even get close to delivering. Now that we are Tennesseeans, I'm all for the Titans, but I still have that soft spot in my heart for Miami.

My wonderful wife, for my birthday, bought me a pair of tickets to go see the Titans and Miami play in Nashville.Every year since I turned 35, I've been saying as a joke "well, I'm too old to play pro football now, but I can be President." So for my 50th she got me tickets. I've never really been to Nashville, aside from just passing through, so we thought we would make a weekend of it. We are going to head over there early Saturday, and spend the day/evening seeing the sights.

I'm looking for recommendations on the "must see" places. I'm not so much into Country Music, but I do love the Blues. Are there any Blues restaurants or clubs that are great? Also, what are the best tourist places to visit? We'll likely Uber our way into town from where we are staying, so we'll mostly just be walking around the down-town area.

I'm really excited about the whole weekend, and want to maximize the fun. Thanks

Downtown there is a section called 'Broadway', which is the name of the street.  That's a place to go to.  I'm sure there are Blue's bars down there, though most are country music.  There are a zillion bars as well as other tourist places.  Printer's Alley is within walking distance and is pretty cool.

Andrew Jackson, whose face is on the $20, lived here.  If interested in US history his home is a great place to visit.  There is also a civil war fort down in Franklin.  It hasn't been rebuilt, though all the trenches, etc... are still there.

From a food perspective, Nashville has a local favorite called Hot Chicken.  It isn't for the feint of heart, so wouldn't be good unless you like super hot food. I think they coat it in egg and milk and then somehow get a 1/2 inch exterior of cayenne pepper on it before frying.

For birthday cake, check out Gigi's cupcakes.  They are starting to franchise, though I think they are still only local.

I hope you have a great time.

• Like 1

Not sure where you are staying, but I would highly recommend staying in downtown.  Yes, it will be more expensive, but I think you will find that it is much more convenient and after taxi fair's, tips, etc, not much more expensive than just staying there.

If you are only going to be there one afternoon, evening, there is plenty to see just walking downtown.  As much as the places you go, it is really about the atmosphere overall.  I think the country music hall of fame is worth it even if you aren't a country fan.  Go to the Hermitage hotel and have a drink at the bar, and just stop in where you think it looks interesting.  

Stay downtown if you can handle the prices.  The Omni is the best, but its not cheap.  Plenty of stuff to do without even getting in a car.  Go to broadway for a stroll just to see the sights, but I wouldn't spend much time there.  If you want to see a classic honky tonk go to Roberts Western World, they have a good quality band, usually rockabilly more than country.  

on lower end of downtown is Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar.  That's probably exactly what you're looking for.  Its between 3rd and 4th Ave in Printers Alley.  

http://www.bourbonstreetbluesandboogiebar.com/

If you do want to go further out into town, I'd get the Uber app or Lyft app set-up on your phone.  Much more convenient that getting a true cab.  

Hattie B's for some good hot chicken, The Southern for awesome steaks, Demo's for great & cheap Italian family style restaurant.  Just walk around and look at things, most of the stuff is within walking distance if you stay downtown.  

Hattie B's is a must though if you like hot chicken.

Almost forgot, Jack's BBQ is also on the top of the list.

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1

Do a backstage tour of The Ryman. Skip the Country Music Hall of Fame. It was made for true country music fans and goes deep into the roots of the genre. You're barely into the 1960s at the halfway point.

Do visit the free TN State Museum and their War Museum Annex.

Downtown hotels are all good. No dumps anywhere. But they ARE expensive. You could look at the West End/Vanderbilt area as an alternative. Many of those hotels offer free shuttles to/from downtown. It's a cheap and quick taxi/Uber/Lyft ride to/from them if not. Heck, the MTA bus is actually reasonable for those hotels. Speaking of MTA buses, we have two free loops called the Music City Circuit. Just hop on and off as you please. Speaking of hop-on-hop-off, Grayline offers a $28 hop-on-hop-off trolley that goes to the top places and gives you some history of the city. That's great for exploring during the day. It runs from 9a-5:30p.

http://www.nashvillemta.org/Nashville-MTA-Music-City-Circuit.asp

http://graylinetn.com/music-city-trolley-hop/

Hattie B's for some good hot chicken, The Southern for awesome steaks, Demo's for great & cheap Italian family style restaurant.  Just walk around and look at things, most of the stuff is within walking distance if you stay downtown.  

Hattie B's is a must though if you like hot chicken.

Almost forgot, Jack's BBQ is also on the top of the list.

Hattie B's Hot Chicken :up:  :rock:  All the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not fancy and you dont have to dress up and its priced great and most of all it tastes AWESOME !!!!! Plus slide over to Gun And Leather on the outskirts of Nashville to look around .

Edited by tercel89

Just for perspective, downtown hotels are showing up at $350-$450 on Hotwire. You can stay maybe 15 minutes away for $110 and up. Parking is $10 downtown in most places, I think. Where ever you park, be prepared for a hike to the stadium unless you take one of the shuttles. It's nearly a mile from downtown to your seats by the time you walk from downtown to the stadium and then wind around the circular walkway to get to your level. 

I don't get the love for hot chicken. I went to Prince's Hot Chicken Shack just north of downtown based on rave reviews from friends and was very unimpressed, as was my wife. 

Edited by jgradyc

Princes is the best, Hattie B's is good but second rate compared.....

If you're staying downtown, just use the Pedestrian bridge to walk to the game.  Its really not worth trying to drive there, unless you have already have a parking pass.  Also, check with the hotel about parking, some you have to pay additional to the room rate.  We paid $20 for gameday parking downtown a few weeks ago and felt it was worth it, to park downtown and walk.  

The Parthenon is well worth seeing, as well as the State Museum and War Museum.

If you have any interest in guitars, Gruehn Guitar is a must visit.

Heck, just get out and walk around downtown and stop anywhere that looks interesting.

I personally love Joe's Crab Shack downtown. I know it's a chain restaurant, but man it's good. J. Alexander's is another pretty good place to eat.

Edited by gregintenn

The Parthenon is well worth seeing, as well as the State Museum and War Museum.

If you have any interest in guitars, Gruehn Guitar is a must visit.

Heck, just get out and walk around downtown and stop anywhere that looks interesting.

I personally love Joe's Crab Shack downtown. I know it's a chain restaurant, but man it's good. J. Alexander's is another pretty good place to eat.

FYI J. Alexanders on West End is now calle Redlands Grill.  Still owned and operated by JA and I believe has the same core menu, but something to do with the business returning to the NYSE.  Not sure haven't been since the new name.  

FYI J. Alexanders on West End is now calle Redlands Grill.  Still owned and operated by JA and I believe has the same core menu, but something to do with the business returning to the NYSE.  Not sure haven't been since the new name.  

Did the one on White Bridge Rd. change as well?

If you go to the state museum, you might want to park close because it has a large gunbuster on the front door. I found out about it after walking there from the Music City Center. You can't see the the sign using Google Street View.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like there is plenty to do. I'm definitely looking forward to the whole weekend.

My wife got us set up in a Bed and Breakfast place about 6 miles SE of downtown. We'll probably just use Uber on Saturday for the sightseeing tour. Looks like we can buy a parking pass for $30 at the stadium parking lot for game day. Is that a good idea? How long will it take us to get out to the Interstate from there? (does it get all jammed up?)

During the NRA convention, didn't Tootsies have a gunbuster, a "Welcome NRA" sign, and a Gadsden Flag posted all at the same time?

Yes. Rippy's was the same way, minus the flag.

Roberts Western World is the only honky tonk I know of that is not posted. At least they weren't the last time I looked.

Edited by monkeylizard

Looks like we can buy a parking pass for $30 at the stadium parking lot for game day. Is that a good idea? How long will it take us to get out to the Interstate from there? (does it get all jammed up?)

That's both expensive and going to be all jammed up getting in. The police do a really good job getting people out, but it sucks getting in. It's convenient if you don't like to walk, though.

Whenever I go, I ALWAYS park at the Library garage. It's the cheapest in town ($8 all day on weekends) and in a good location. It's #85 on this map: http://www.parkitdowntown.com/maps/interactive-map