Fixing a warped wood gate

kckndrgn

So, Selling my house in the city to move out in to the country, ya! 

The buyer had the home inspection done on the house and all is fixable/doable by myself, thankfully, except the gate.  Well, I'm sure I can, but I don't want to have to rebuild the whole thing, again.

I'm the gate works properly, just just warped where the 2 gates meet, on one side.  I'm not sure if a turnbuckle will fix the problem or i just need to replace a piece or 2 of the 2x4 frame.

I built the frame by makeing a box out of 2x4's and used a square bracket in the corners.  I can't remember off the top of my head if there is a 2x going from corner to corner but I think there is.

052.jpg053.jpg

Any tips on how to get this un-warped will be much appreciated!

TIA

New 2x's won't fix that. A wire from top outer corner to lower inside corner with a turnbuckle should do it though.

Worst case, just rebuild a new door for no more than it would cost. Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

Kind of hard to tell from that angle but it looks like you have a 2x4 going across but no uprights.  A gate needs a frame, and if its heavy then it needs a turn-buckle so the corner does not sag.  Warped boards can be straightened when wet but may crack once they dry out.

Something like this with the turn-buckle going from top hinged side to lower corner.  When new it doesn't need it but after awhile it will because the corner will drag eventually.

extra-cross-gate-frame.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks all,

Yes there is a frame.

Basically I took 2x4's the total length of the opening on the top and bottom, then put in 4 uprights (2 for each gate), attached hinges, hung and cut the two gates apart.  All was fine for a few months, then it wraped, almost overnight.

I thought a turnbuckle would work, I just don't want to have to build a new gate.  Don't really have the time anyway, with packing, deer season, etc. time is in short supply.

here's an option if something cheaper/easier doesn't fix it. Pricey but easy. I know I've seen them in HomeDepot for less than that. Maybe it was a sale :shrug:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Adjust-A-Gate-2-Rail-Gate-Frame-Kit-AG60-36/202024403?cm_mmc=SEM%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-Pro-PLA-D21-Lumber%7C&gclid=CLexhdP05sgCFdcSgQodhI0Ecg&gclsrc=aw.ds Edited by Wingshooter
Lowe's and Home Depot carry the kits: http://m.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-National-Hardware-Anti-Sag-Gate-Kit/999911861

They work decently enough, but it's best to repair the gate first. Is there a 4x4 at the hinged end? If not it needs one, and some sort of corner brace to keep it from leaning. Gates are heavy and need a good corner post to keep them from saging in the corners.
My usually reply to an inspection is "now you know". I don't fix anything on the inspection. They saw the gate when they viewed the house. It is what it is.
Had one that found some old termite damage in the detached garage. Buyer asked for a termite service to come out. I told him I'd pay the first $20 since that's what it would cost to buy some bug b gone. We closed a couple weeks later and all I did was spray bug b gone.
  • Like 1