FBI Returning to 9mm

What ever the FBI choses the operator must be smarter than the handgun is. Female field agents are the reason the 10mm was ditched.

Do you have a source for that?

The S&W 1076 had technical problems that caused it to be withdrawn from service and replaced with a 9mm SIG. Eventually the 10mm pistols were modified and many returned to the FBI. But by then, I think they had lost interest in the pistols. After the .40 Glocks were adopted, the 1076s were recalled and agents had to carry the Glocks.

Shot placement is king. And at the range, I always hit that paper right between the eyes. But in real life, with adrenaline pumping and the threat moving, I doubt I can tag him in the eye every time. (I hope you are picking up on my sarcasm here) I feel pretty much all of the major calibers 9mm and above give a similar opportunity for incapacitation if the bullet goes where it needs to. More chances means more better, imho.

My first gun was a .40, and for years that's what I bought for defensive purposes. All of my M&Ps are .40s. I have had a change of mind on this over the past year (and not because of the FBI) and am moving to 9mm. Oh, and the cheaper ammo doesn't hurt!

The first new gun I bought for myself was a Sig in 40.  I finally wised up and traded it for a 9. lol

Actually I still like the 40 round, don't shoot much of it, but have  a Glock and a Taurus chambered in 40.

But you guys are making me think about giving the 10 a try. All these comments make for interesting thinking.

But it will have to wait until the pistol builds are finished.

The first new gun I bought for myself was a Sig in 40. I finally wised up and traded it for a 9. lol

Actually I still like the 40 round, don't shoot much of it, but have a Glock and a Taurus chambered in 40.

But you guys are making me think about giving the 10 a try. All these comments make for interesting thinking.

But it will have to wait until the pistol builds are finished.

Do the 10mm...or else

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Do the 10mm...or else

Ok...Ok. I'll get to it asap. lol

Really have been wanting to compare the EAA 40 and the RIA 1911 frames in 40.

I've had both a Witness and several RIA, but always in the little boy's 9mm caliber and the man sized 45.

And while talking with some about the pistol builds, the idea of a 40 was brought up, but I think I'd go with the 45 or 10 first.

Just way too many thoughts, calibers, and too little time and money available to me.

Edited by hipower
I despise the .40 simply because it is a compromise caliber and really combines the worst of both the 9mm and 45. Lower velocity of the 45 but without the weight and size that make the 45 work and the lighter weight of the 9mm but without the velocity that makes it work.

10mm is full power, I see it kind of like the .357mag/.38spl. I don't like .38spl either, not reason in my mind when you can have .357mag in the same size gun.

.45acp or .45super are the perfect anti personnel rounds IMO. 10mm is for if you want/need a bit more

Ok...Ok. I'll get to it asap. lol

Really have been wanting to compare the EAA 40 and the RIA 1911 frames in 40.

I've had both a Witness and several RIA, but always in the little boy's 9mm caliber.

And while talking with some about the pistol builds, the idea of a 40 was brought up, but I think I'd go with the 45 or 10 first.

Just way too many thoughts, calibers, and too little time and money available to me.

I do like the 9mm, it is very adaptable to what you need to use it for - plinking, super hot +P+ 147grs, SD 124gr JHPs and its cheap per 1000 and cheaper to load for.

Ive always had an aversion to .40 Cal - guess it was all the wannabe gangsters in NYC that wanted to "pop a n--- wid ma fowty" that did it. Also people who try to make it seem like its the Wundergewher!

10mm was a spiritual experience lol. You can load them light *cough* .40 levels or you can load them nuclear. Ive been pushing the limits on my Gen 4 Glock 20 - 10.1gr of 800X according to the book should kill me but it has been great lobbing 180gr plateds and almost 1400fps. Super accurate, super powered, flat shooting and will clobber steel and shoot a big ol fireball and concuss the loser next to you.

I do like the RIA 10mm, it felt slightly smaller than my SR1911 .45 - and I heard it was a good weapon...not as good as ARO Matt's Infinity though - that made me want to touch myself.

Dont sell yourself short! Get a 10mm, chicks dig it, it makes you immune to Ebola, increases testorone and you get a six pack - of beer and abs! Cant be beat!

• Like 1

Do you have a source for that?

The S&W 1076 had technical problems that caused it to be withdrawn from service and replaced with a 9mm SIG. Eventually the 10mm pistols were modified and many returned to the FBI. But by then, I think they had lost interest in the pistols. After the .40 Glocks were adopted, the 1076s were recalled and agents had to carry the Glocks.

The US Government does not make mistakes everybody else does. Anytime they do not want to honor a contract there is technical problems. In the past there were a lot of exceptions made for window dressing not so much today but still goes on.

Folks...

All the calibers we have been talkin about are good ones... They will all do the job they were designed to do... The graveyards in Russia are full of Ivans killed by the 9mm...  

As to the "short and weak" 40 S&W; check these articles out... There aint nothin new under the sun... Check out this article from the great John Taffin.... The 10 mm is an old time 38-40.... Read here... ...  http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt3840.htm

Here is John's take on the 40S&W... http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt40sw.htm

To say that the nine is a "death ray" and the 40 S&W aint is laughable... All these calibers are thoroughly dangerous in the hands of a skilled gunman... A 9 mm round is .355 inches diameter... A 40 is .401 inches diameter... A mere 0.046 inches separates em... Think about it...

leroy

• Like 1

I can't speak as to the FBI'S reason for switching to the 9mm. But for the military it has a lot to do with standardized the requirements for NATO.

We left behind 7.62 and .45 in our primary and secondary weapons for NATO...think about that one for a bit

Anyone talked to a FBI pistolero about this stuff?  Bottom line I am getting is 9mm is a decent handgun round if type is well chosen and yet it is still just a handgun round, easily trumped by rifle and shotgun. Ergo practice a lot with the triumvirate.    As to this link:  http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2015/10/19/f-b-i-selects-new-duty-pistol/  I got this phrase from the best shooter I have ever met, who now works for the FBI:  "pure b.s."  Of course this guy only carries a Glock as a backup weapon to his uber expensive duty 1911s.  He says he needs a couple of these high dollar 1911s because one is always broke and in the FBI shop because they just don't hold up to the amount of training fire required for the job.