Exploring TN

TLRMADE

Me and the GF love exploring new places. We have been to quite a few places so far this summer! Here's a few from this past summer.

0657ee829cde22165639d2f96e900a21.jpg

Roswell Mill- Roswell, GA

ad59b0ca7f38e08172b5c9149c605401.jpg

Tallugha Gorge

62251fa6d973a0309232b1f31950c12f.jpg

3afcd6be9d241e1c27e1dd4d2a61ec58.jpg

Sweetwater Creek

c1707232b5e4b556a92529993818452c.jpg

Natchez Trace Bridge

5910342d3b83678033a69b4a692c46cc.jpg
4c6a86e8d9f670b953cc9c0b81c622db.jpg

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for good places around here? I would really like to find some old abandoned buildings/houses in the woods to go explore.

I found these on Instagram that are supposedly around Nashville. Does anybody know where these are?

a8340ce0932bb8f1872a5ab211cdee77.jpg

17d5bfcf2318946c7d28ac35011182c3.jpg

56cc699ffbd644642fad2a1a647dbcca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Awesome pictures. I can't help much with abandoned structures but my wife and I love to hike. We usually prefer Big South Fork because we can bring the dogs and rarely see other people.

For camping, Citico Creek is hard to beat.

Another lesser known hike is Stinging Creek falls.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

If you are up for an adventure, try driving through the abandoned train tunnel at Nemo Bridge near Wartburg, TN. The tracks are removed, so no chance of meeting a train, but you could meet another driver. I usually honk a few times before entering, since the tunnel is curved and you can't see all the way through. The "road" leading up to the tunnel is only a road in the sense that at one time it may have had some gravel laid down, and there are no trees in the path where you drive. Calling it a giant collection of potholes might be more fitting. I've seen people drive a street car down there, but I would recommend a truck with good clearance. You'll want the clearance in the tunnel anyway since there are huge dips that fill up with water. In a 4WD truck you'll be fine, but a car won't make it if it has rained recently.

Catoosa Road that leads up to the coordinates below is well paved and very nice. While you are in the area, cross the bridge over to Rock Creek campground and hike up the Cumberland trail. One of my all-time favorite backpacking spots is up that trail to the Alley Ford campsite. At a leisurely pace it takes about 1.5 hours to hike it in, and 1.5 back out.

Here is the location of the start of the dirt road:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B004'06.3%22N+84%C2%B039'34.8%22W/@36.0697601,-84.6587846,990m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

Here is a video (not mine) of someone driving thru the tunnel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIfPhYh4-lg

Edited by analog_kidd
You do know, everybody just wants to see more pictures of your girlfriend right? Sorry guys, I let the cat out of the bag. Seriously enjoy, I have lived here 8 years and have finally started hiking to places around this area. Wish I would have started when I first got here.

The Narrows of the Harpeth area has some great smallmouth bass fishing. That is only about 10 miles from my Grandfathers farm that we lived on that is located in Petway Tennessee. I floated that river in a jon boat many times with a friend from Newsome Station to Mouth of Harpeth at the Cumberland River taking time to camp at night on Gravel bars and catch fish for supper. Those were some great times. The float would take about 5 days if the river was full of water. Some times there would be 2 or 3 boats making the float together.................. :up: :up:

If you are up for an adventure, try driving through the abandoned train tunnel at Nemo Bridge near Wartburg, TN. The tracks are removed, so no chance of meeting a train, but you could meet another driver. I usually honk a few times before entering, since the tunnel is curved and you can't see all the way through. The "road" leading up to the tunnel is only a road in the sense that at one time it may have had some gravel laid down, and there are no trees in the path where you drive. Calling it a giant collection of potholes might be more fitting. I've seen people drive a street car down there, but I would recommend a truck with good clearance. You'll want the clearance in the tunnel anyway since there are huge dips that fill up with water. In a 4WD truck you'll be fine, but a car won't make it if it has rained recently.

Catoosa Road that leads up to the coordinates below is well paved and very nice. While you are in the area, cross the bridge over to Rock Creek campground and hike up the Cumberland trail. One of my all-time favorite backpacking spots is up that trail to the Alley Ford campsite. At a leisurely pace it takes about 1.5 hours to hike it in, and 1.5 back out.

Here is the location of the start of the dirt road:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B004'06.3%22N+84%C2%B039'34.8%22W/@36.0697601,-84.6587846,990m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

Here is a video (not mine) of someone driving thru the tunnel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIfPhYh4-lg

That's what I'm talking about! That looks badass! Keep the ideas coming guys!! Definitely hitting this up with the buddies very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for Big South Fork-- I've walked many a mile through that park and still have so much yet to see. Some of the best hikes are not on "official" NPS trails though... one that comes to mind is the O&W bridge overlook (not the same as the O&W trail hike). Also, the view from the top of the Twin Arches (the south arch in particular) is pretty great. I highly recommend the books "Hiking the Big South Fork" by Brenda Deaver and "Natural Arches of The Big South Fork" by Arthur McDade. They will take you to some of the paths less traveled with spectacular views and very few people.

Edited by tartanphantom
I googled "waterfalls close to Nashville" and have been to 7, lots of good hiking to be done with each one. Soo many protected land around the Altamont Pass area that are beautiful to visit/hike. The family and I always do Mt LeConte at least once a year, and when you are there, plenty to do. Unfortunately,not every place is dog friendly - sometimes I spend more time for Boo's doggy care than what I do for our lodging.