For CommsNBombs - Proof that .40 is all that and a bag of chips

From: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/watchful-eye/knox-da-law-on-side-of-homeowner-who-killed-burglar_55373802

Emphasis mine.  Ok, Comms, when are you getting another .40?   :up:

Garry Swanner was in his underwear as he limped along the hallway of his Strawberry Plans home toward an unknown sound that had roused him from twilight sleep.
He had snatched the .40-caliber Glock semi-automatic pistol from his bed stand as he pushed himself out of bed to investigate the thud about 10:45 a.m. The 48-year-old man’s home already had been targeted multiple times by burglars and he wanted to be ready if another theft was underway that April 29 morning.
Hindered by a knee that won’t bend since his motorcycle tangled with a commercial rig years ago, Swanner made his way from one end of the house to the other. Along the way, he heard glass shatter.
That’s when he racked a round into the chamber of his handgun.
“I saw a man coming through the window,” Swanner would later tell detectives, according to the investigative file reviewed by the News Sentinel.
“He was looking right at me. He was still coming, so I fired one round in that direction I wasn’t really aiming at anything. I knew I hit him because it blew him out the window.”
That untrained shot struck James Melvin Vinson, 40, just under the right arm, killing him.
Swanner peered out the front door of his 1001 Randles Road home to see Vinson unmoving as he lie face up on the wood deck. A brown curtain twisted in the wind outside the window that had been smashed by Vinson. The table and chair Vinson had used to boost himself up to the top portion of the front window were still in place.
For more than nine minutes a calm-sounding Swanner told an E-911 call processor how he killed an intruder coming through a window.
“A guy just broke in on me,” he told the E-911 employee.
Swanner, who has a firearm carry permit, assured the E-911 employee he had “made safe” his gun by removing the magazine, emptying the chamber and setting it on a coffee table so officers wouldn’t feel threatened. Swanner was dressed by the time Knox County Sherrif’s Office Detectives Matt Sexton, Walter Schmidt and Jeremy McCord and patrolman Rusty Bruce arrived.
On June 22, Knox County District Attorney General Charme P. Allen’s office had completed its review of the investigative file compiled by the Sheriff’s Office.
“Based on the facts and circumstances, it is my opinion that Mr. Swanner acted in a lawful manner, and respectfully decline prosecution,” Allen wrote to the detectives.
Allen said the law refers to “the castle doctrine” when defending your home.
“If you are in your home, you are presumed to have a fear that they are there to do you harm,” she said. “The law was on his side.”
Swanner told detectives his leg injury leaves him unable to balance himself at times. He would have been unable to defend himself against the 6-foot, 155-pound Vinson who was outfitted with heavy work gloves and stout work boots.
“I would think it would have been drastically different if he had waited nine minutes for the officers to arrive,” Allen said.
Vinson had an extensive criminal history in Knox and Loudon counties. At the time of his death, he was wanted by authorities in both counties on fresh charges connected to burglaries.
Swanner didn’t realize it at the time, but while awaiting law enforcement, he spoke briefly to Vinson’s accomplice. Swanner said he saw a man in a gold Honda drive by slowly and then pull into his driveway. The Honda driver said he was just making sure Swanner was alright.
About 7:30 p.m. that night, Knox County officers arrested Jonathan David Hurst, 23, at an Asheville Highway motel. Hurst told authorities Vinson had asked for a ride to the Strawberry Plains area.
“He stated that he was going to make some money and that he would call me when he was ready to be picked up,” Hurst told detectives. “He generally would make his money by selling guns or jewelry that he had taken.”
Hurst opted to leave the Randles Road area when he saw sheriff’s officers converging on the scene. He later would lead authorities to dozens of previously burglarized homes and thousands of dollars of pilfered goods.
Swanner killed Vinson with a firearm that had recently been recovered by sheriff’s officers. The .40-caliber Glock and two other handguns had been stolen in September during a daylight break-in.
Officers recovered the weapons in November when they arrested Paris Long, 36, of Strawberry Plains, as part of a burglary probe. Long, authorities said, had been tutored on the home burglary craft by Vinson. Vinson may have thought the three guns recovered from Long were back in Swanner’s home. With the vehicle in his garage, Vinson thought no one was home, detectives surmised.
Swanner said he declined comment, out of respect for Vinson’s friends and family.

The anticipation of his reply is killing me. I've wrote 3 so far. This being a new dad thing is really killing his forum fun time. Geez.

Yea, being a new dad is time consuming.  I can't wait until she is old enough to ask her dad for a .40 of her own  :stir:

• Like 2
I could throw a water bottle at some fat bastard coming through my window and it would knock him out.

Fitting he killed a fat cat burglar with a .40 Sluggish&Wimpy - like fat man like caliber.

Too bad it wasnt a 10mm it wouldve blown than heifer to bits and left his gristle in three different zip codes

What I gather from this article is that cripples who cant drive bikes use 40s, and 40 is only effective against greasy overweight felchers.

He also doesnt carry his self defense gun with a round chamber which is ALSO ironic because S&W also stands from Stupid and Weak

Had he had a 10mm or at least a 45 it wouldve made him invulnerable to motorcycle accidents too.

I bet he also drinks coors light....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

I could throw a water bottle at some fat bastard coming through my window and it would knock him out.

Fitting he killed a fat cat burglar with a .40 Sluggish&Wimpy - like fat man like caliber.

Too bad it wasnt a 10mm it wouldve blown than heifer to bits and left his gristle in three different zip codes

What I gather from this article is that cripples who cant drive bikes use 40s, and 40 is only effective against greasy overweight felchers.

He also doesnt carry his self defense gun with a round chamber which is ALSO ironic because S&W also stands from Stupid and Weak

Had he had a 10mm or at least a 45 it wouldve made him invulnerable to motorcycle accidents too.

I bet he also drinks coors light....

You sick little freak. The fact that you know the term "FELCHER" made me die. It was worth the wait. Now go change a diaper.
  • Like 3

You sick little freak. The fact that you know the term "FELCHER" made me die. It was worth the wait. Now go change a diaper.

Just put her to bed. I was feeding her as I typed my seething rebuttal.

Granted she will be up in an hour or so to destroy all that is holy

• Like 2

The fact you know it is what worries me..... Though I'm with Comm on this one. .40 has the ammo capacity of a .45 and the knockdown of a 9mm. Though I do drink Coors Light and have found that nothing makes you impervious to motorcycle wrecks....

Sent from behind the anvil
  • Like 1

The fact you know it is what worries me..... Though I'm with Comm on this one. .40 has the ammo capacity of a .45 and the knockdown of a 9mm. Though I do drink Coors Light and have found that nothing makes you impervious to motorcycle wrecks....

10mm grants immunity to all things!

I know a lot of gross crap. I have a gay cousin, I read a book once called 101 disgusting sex acts and I just retain stuff. I'm still a good person :)
  • Like 1

10mm grants immunity to all things!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I still prefer my guns to have a caliber tgat starts with .4 because there are two kinds of countries in this world. Those that use the metric system and those who sent a man to the moon.

20151203_150408_zpsdupyrqpt.jpg

• Like 1
Having a bad leg and having to maneuver himself around with his arms had obviously made his wrists and arms strong enough that he could handle the incredible power of the 40S&W. Many lesser men would have had to step down to the weak azz 9mm, which they can handle without limp wristing. Glad things work out for him.

According to all tests and sustained by research of all the popular pundits, the .357 Magnum still reigns supreme as the #1 man-stopper. the .40 S&W ranks right alongside the .45 ACP as second. I own all 3 and will feel sufficiently armed with any of the 3. Field results and actual one stop statistics are what made me give up my .44 Magnum for another .357.