Lottery and Taxes

MP5_Rizzo

Sam1 just gave me trust issues lol, I aint rolling in nothing - Ill be rolling my happy ass into obscurity

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

We talked about that in previously before this lotto thing went up so high.  This is no BS the first thing I would do is disappear, I mean legitimately be gone like a plane flying through the Bermuda triangle.  Most of my true friends are from the military and we only see each other every few years, no one will miss me.  During that disappearance, I would probably get in touch with Dave Ramsey's people and plea for help while I stockpile a battalion of lawyers, then go back home and kidnap my immediate family and force them to move to an undisclosed location before coming forward to claim the prize.

We're talking about some stuff on the level like from the movie "Taken" happening where the only person that would be able to find or contact us would be Liam Neeson.

• Like 1
Well 180 days is a good time to hire me an estate lawyer and financial planner, get a new job, move somewhere far away but stay CONUS.

Create a blind trust, probably a few. Set up an estate plan - an a LLC unrelated to make donations from to offset taxes.

Hell just pay off debts and buy a 1050 honestly - dont want to mess around with BS.

My family is getting ZERO. All that matters is my wife and kids. No vacations, no leaving CONUS, no Lambos or Rollers, no mansions or BS.

Just obscurity.

...and margaritas

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I would have a single nice sports car, that is my only 100% for sure happening splurge.  Nothing crazy like a Bugatti or anything, but just something I could pull out to drive occasionally. 

Oh no I lied.

I would buy a tank, a demilled M1A1 full-functional (except the cannon) just because I miss them so much.  I would definitely buy a tank, if for no other reason than to just start up on occasion and burn up a few hundred gallons of jet fuel around the farm just to piss off the tree huggers.

eh, not too worried about it firing, the headache for getting something like that set up would be unimaginable.  With that much money we could go to a military base and talk to the commander and make a donation or two and be allowed to sneak in on some range days with active duty units....

And we wouldn't have to clean sh*t afterwards!

I would have a single nice sports car, that is my only 100% for sure happening splurge. Nothing crazy like a Bugatti or anything, but just something I could pull out to drive occasionally.

Oh no I lied.

I would buy a tank, a demilled M1A1 full-functional (except the cannon) just because I miss them so much. I would definitely buy a tank, if for no other reason than to just start up on occasion and burn up a few hundred gallons of jet fuel around the farm just to piss off the tree huggers.

A nice car and a couple of nice bikes would be on my list. My "sports" car would be a candy apple red 1969 Dodge Charger with a blown, efi, Ray Barton 500+ cubic inch hemi, 6 speed tremec transmission, Dana 60 rear end and the best interior money can buy.

Sent from behind the anvil
  • Like 1

If the lotto keeps getting this big, maybe we could set up a scalping scheme.  Go in early in the morning and buy a bunch of tickets cause people in the ghetto ain't getting up, and drive out there that afternoon and resell them with a convenience charge so people don't have to wait in line.

I think if I were to win a lottery this big, it would ruin my life as I know it.  My family might be able to start a new life, but I have a feeling it would end up driving a wedge between us and friends or family.  I always tell my wife that I wouldn't mind winning a "meager" $500,000-1 million; enough to pay off all our debts, give some to charity, and be modestly set for retirement if invested correctly.  I think winning too much in such a short time might have a negative effect on my character, and it would probably effect my children in ways that might be undesirable (based on all those reality show people who are famous for just being rich).  I admire the rich who worked hard for their money, and the ones who inherited money and multiplied it through hard work or business savvy, but some people who never had to work a day in their life are probably missing something in their soul that can't be bought.  I wouldn't want my children to be one of those.

I also tell my wife that we will play the lottery if either of us as a dream with concrete, unambiguous numbers and date to play, or I found a frog with a pattern on its back that looks like numbers.  Neither of those have happened yet.  Anything else is just gambling, and I have terrible luck at gambling and contests.  Or if I do win something, it is like fifth place and I just break even.

Having unlimited money would definitely make life easier and possibly more fun, but I sincerely think it would not be worth it in the long run unless it was earned in some way.  Maybe I'm afraid that I would feel to guilty about winning and just give it all away, so I don't play at all.

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

I think if I were to win a lottery this big, it would ruin my life as I know it. My family might be able to start a new life, but I have a feeling it would end up driving a wedge between us and friends or family. I always tell my wife that I wouldn't mind winning a "meager" $500,000-1 million; enough to pay off all our debts, give some to charity, and be modestly set for retirement if invested correctly. I think winning too much in such a short time might have a negative effect on my character, and it would probably effect my children in ways that might be undesirable (based on all those reality show people who are famous for just being rich). I admire the rich who worked hard for their money, and the ones who inherited money and multiplied it through hard work or business savvy, but some people who never had to work a day in their life are probably missing something in their soul that can't be bought. I wouldn't want my children to be one of those.

I also tell my wife that we will play the lottery if either of us as a dream with concrete, unambiguous numbers and date to play, or I found a frog with a pattern on its back that looks like numbers. Neither of those have happened yet. Anything else is just gambling, and I have terrible luck at gambling and contests. Or if I do win something, it is like fifth place and I just break even.

Having unlimited money would definitely make life easier and possibly more fun, but I sincerely think it would not be worth it in the long run unless it was earned in some way. Maybe I'm afraid that I would feel to guilty about winning and just give it all away, so I don't play at all.

Most of the available evidence - not to mention anecdotal evidence sadly shows that you're likely correct in your assessment.

I think if I were to win a lottery this big, it would ruin my life as I know it.  My family might be able to start a new life, but I have a feeling it would end up driving a wedge between us and friends or family.  I always tell my wife that I wouldn't mind winning a "meager" $500,000-1 million; enough to pay off all our debts, give some to charity, and be modestly set for retirement if invested correctly.  I think winning too much in such a short time might have a negative effect on my character, and it would probably effect my children in ways that might be undesirable (based on all those reality show people who are famous for just being rich).  I admire the rich who worked hard for their money, and the ones who inherited money and multiplied it through hard work or business savvy, but some people who never had to work a day in their life are probably missing something in their soul that can't be bought.  I wouldn't want my children to be one of those.

I also tell my wife that we will play the lottery if either of us as a dream with concrete, unambiguous numbers and date to play, or I found a frog with a pattern on its back that looks like numbers.  Neither of those have happened yet.  Anything else is just gambling, and I have terrible luck at gambling and contests.  Or if I do win something, it is like fifth place and I just break even.

Having unlimited money would definitely make life easier and possibly more fun, but I sincerely think it would not be worth it in the long run unless it was earned in some way.  Maybe I'm afraid that I would feel to guilty about winning and just give it all away, so I don't play at all.

This is spot on. It's exactly what I've been thinking and telling my wife. The winner is going to have to go into hiding immediately.

Now, you can bet your ass we still bought a ticket :)        I told my wife that if we win, we're buying an RV and leaving the house immediately. I'll spend a few years driving around to various national parks.

Edit: Apparently 1 ticket matched in California, but other states still have yet to report if any other tickets have matched.

The hope is still alive :)  I don't even know what my numbers are, I am out of the country and my parents bought my tickets.  I am sure I have a winning ticket waiting for me at home.

Edited by Hozzie
Powerball Jackpot Winners By State # State Jackpot Winners 1 Pennsylvania 16 2 Florida 11 3 Indiana 11 4 Missouri 11 5 Minnesota 7 6 South Carolina 7 7 California 7 8 Arizona 6 9 New York 6 10 Louisiana 6 11 New Jersey 6 12 Kentucky 5 13 Iowa 5 14 Tennessee 5 15 Wisconsin 5 16 Delaware 4 17 North Carolina 4 18 Oklahoma 4 19 West Virginia 4 20 Connecticut 4 21 Georgia 3 22 Kansas 3 23 Ohio 3 24 New Hampshire 3 25 Michigan 3 26 Rhode Island 3 27 Massachusetts 3 28 South Dakota 3 29 New Mexico 3 30 Nebraska 3 31 Colorado 2 32 Texas 2 33 Maryland 2 34 Puerto Rico 2 35 Idaho 2 36 Oregon 2 37 Lousiana 2 38 Illinois 2 39 District of Columbia 1 40 Arkansas 1 41 Montana 1 42 Virginia 1 43 Washington 1