Brace Yourselves. Change is Coming. (IPBoard 4)

• Administrator

As long as Tapatalk still works I am happy!

We've had several more problems with Tapatalk behind the scenes lately.  56FordGuy can tell you more about what he was experiencing.  In fact, I believe another forum he is a part of jettisoned Tapatalk because of how squirrelly it is.

I am not committing to keeping it.  Not saying I won't, or at least not for a while longer, but JohnC is right:  The new Version 4 native mobile ability is very nice.  AND it shows you all of the IPBoard features, unlike Tapatalk.

• Like 3
  • Administrator

Contrary to what most people think about us old folks I don't hate change....I just hate trying to figure it out. newlaugh.gifA lot of it comes from not understanding terms and nomenclature...and probably never will.laugh.gif

I can relate to that.  :)

We've had several more problems with Tapatalk behind the scenes lately. 56FordGuy can tell you more about what he was experiencing. In fact, I believe another forum he is a part of jettisoned Tapatalk because of how squirrelly it is.

I am not committing to keeping it. Not saying I won't, or at least not for a while longer, but JohnC is right: The new Version 4 native mobile ability is very nice. AND it shows you all of the IPBoard features, unlike Tapatalk.

I've been having issues with Tapatalk not connecting and a few other things on several different forums lately. They released a new plugin that we installed on another forum, which caused a myriad of new issues both in the app and on the full site. Even after removing the plugin (which created even more problems) our tech folks are still struggling to get it sorted out. As a user trying to contact TT is pointless, all they do is forward the complaint to the forum owners. There's not much a forum owner can do about a problem in the Tapatalk app.

Personally, I'm about done with Tapatalk. It's nice being able to access all my forums with one app, but the app is such a headache it's not worth bothering with. I may continue using it for photo hosting, but really I couldn't care less if it went away. If the other forum I visit had a better mobile skin I would just delete Tapatalk entirely. I highly doubt I continue using it on TGO, especially if the new version of the forum has an even better mobile view.
  • Like 1

It sounds like the new software will be a little more streamlined and intuitive - once we figure it out.  As far as being more like Facebook, Twitter, etc. I wouldn't know the difference there because I don't use Twitbook or similar things.  Still, it sounds like the new software borrows features from those things that will be nice.  Tapatalk?  I don't really care.  The first thing I do whenever I visit any forum of which I am a member on my cellphone or tablet is go to the bottom of the home page and click on 'full version' so that it looks exactly like what I see when I log on with a PC.

Now, since I got that out of the way, I think there was some discussion earlier in the thread about cheese?  So, we'll all be getting free cheese as a reward for being patient through all of this?  Awesome!  Just to throw it out there, I like Manchego.  Asiago is pretty good, too.  Feta is pretty good when I'm in that kind of mood but I'd have to have some Kalamata olives to go with it.  (So, will the new forum have an, "I'm being a smartass," button for people like me?)

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

(So, will the new forum have an, "I'm being a smartass," button for people like me?)

If I am able to implement such a feature, the button will look like a block of cheese.  :)

• Like 5
  • Administrator

You may have already posted it but for the life of me I can't find it. When is the changeover scheduled?

You didn't overlook it.  :)   I am roughly saying sometime within the next 2-3 weeks.  I have a few things that I am still trying to iron out with the process, one of them being me taking some time off from work so that I can do this uninterrupted, during the week, when Invision Power's technical support department is staffed and responsive.

• Like 2
Every time I open this thread I expect to see some form of Game of Thrones meme because of the title....

I am looking forward to the update for the better mobile version. I hate Tapatalk so use the mobile version now and it works but could certainly be better. It would be great if you could see member location with the new mobile version.
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

Every time I open this thread I expect to see some form of Game of Thrones meme because of the title....

I am looking forward to the update for the better mobile version. I hate Tapatalk so use the mobile version now and it works but could certainly be better. It would be great if you could see member location with the new mobile version.

13lzr4.jpg

• Like 2

I don't understand why folks are having problems posting pictures here. Since I know virtually nothing about the interwebz and I have no problem it gets me wondering.

My problem is not so much posting, which is a bit of a hassle, but seeing.  Our firewall blocks many of the free picture posting sites such as photobucket, so I can't see or upload from that site here unless I use my cell phone or am at home.  While some sites allow hosting pictures, such as castboolits, it does take up a lot of server space so can understand not wanting to host them.  Tapatalk is a decent workaround for those that don't have or want a photobucket (or the like) account, it allows you to upload pictures while you post, hosting the pic on their servers.  But that is its only redeeming feature IMO, it's a bit clunky to use on an everyday basis.

• Administrator

I can tell you guys that photo posting will be easier with the new editor but I will not be hosting photos as attachments on TGO beyond the Trading Post forums.  As Omega pointed out above, hosting photos takes up a lot of server space and server space costs money.  There are far too many other photo services out there that will host your pictures for free or for fractions of a penny each, for me to take on the task of hosting a bunch of photos here.

Sorry guys.  Just got to try to be economical and leave photo hosting to the pros.

• Administrator

UPDATE!

I've managed to work through all of the current challenges for converting TGO to the new software and even have the Look & Feel mostly transferred over.  Unless something unforeseen arises between now and then, I intend to make this cutover on the night of Thursday, May 12th.

Everyone loves a good Friday the 13th change!  ;)

• Like 3
Another board I frequent made the change a couple months ago. It was a smooth transition and I enjoy the new look. The activity streams I'm still not the biggest fan of. It's fine though.

The administrator on the other board has been fixing all the small stuff and has that board functioning extremely well.

Change is good, it's a good look and for the Tapatalk users, I've not used it since the change on the board. The mobile version is really slick.
  • Administrator

Another board I frequent made the change a couple months ago. It was a smooth transition and I enjoy the new look. The activity streams I'm still not the biggest fan of. It's fine though.

The administrator on the other board has been fixing all the small stuff and has that board functioning extremely well.

Change is good, it's a good look and for the Tapatalk users, I've not used it since the change on the board. The mobile version is really slick.

Do you have a link to share?  I'd like to see what they've done with it.

Especially from mobile devices?

This is perhaps one of the biggest pluses of tapatalk

Yes because you no longer need anything but the link, no more IMG tags.

The CKEditor aka WYSIWYG is much better for embedding images, video, Facebook and Twitter posts than the current version.

Have a look here: http://ckeditor.com/

I believe you can try a demo on that site. Edited by JohnC

Yes because you no longer need anything but the link, no more IMG tags.

The CKEditor aka WYSIWYG is much better for embedding images, video, Facebook and Twitter posts than the current version.

Have a look here: http://ckeditor.com/

I believe you can try a demo on that site.

It has that now, you only have to have IMG tags if you are in the text editor, the WYSIWYG editor has an image and a site link.  No, what Tapatalk brings to the table is that it hosts the images on its servers when you use its editor.  These images can be uploaded from your computer, tablet or phone directly into the post with out it having to be in a photo hosting site or having a link from another web page first.

• Administrator

It has that now, you only have to have IMG tags if you are in the text editor, the WYSIWYG editor has an image and a site link.  No, what Tapatalk brings to the table is that it hosts the images on its servers when you use its editor.  These images can be uploaded from your computer, tablet or phone directly into the post with out it having to be in a photo hosting site or having a link from another web page first.

I'm going to look into how we could leverage Amazon S3 for cheap file storage for attachments to make this a little less of an issue.  More to come on that, and it probably won't be a "Day One" sort of thing with the new version of the software, but I will definitely look into it as quickly as I can.