bird pecking at window remedy

I have a 6' X 4' window with a 4" ledge above my front door...it is slightly tinted on the inside...for the past three weeks, a neurotic bird has been pecking at the window from left to right by hopping on the ledge...it's scarring up the windows with scuff marks and the noise is grating on my nerves

he arrives at 6:15 every morning and acts like an idiot for 30-45 minutes...I whack on the window, he flies around to the back of the house to attack one of the bedroom windows..trouble is I don't normally get up until 7:15

I will say I'm up to here with it..looking online, all I see is recommendations from liberal asses that suggest that I appreciate him and enjoy it...well, that's not going to happen

I don't want to cream him with a pellet gun because he's hopping around and I don't want to end up with a cracked window when I miss...Maybe a poison to lay out along the ledge...I'm not going to put up cdecals and stuff like that on the window because I don't want to look at anything but my window without a bitty-brained bird going at it

any ideas on how to put an end to this without waiting it out?  Thanks for any tips

2 hours ago, scinmyheart said:

Maybe a poison to lay out along the ledge...I'm not going to put up cdecals and stuff like that on the window because I don't want to look at anything but my window without a bitty-brained bird going at it

any ideas on how to put an end to this without waiting it out?  Thanks for any tips

Poison is not a good idea due to the possibility of collateral damage.  You might want to look up "bird scare flash tape".  You hang it near the areas which you want the bird to avoid.  I like that idea better than putting decals on your windows.

• Like 1

Put a life-like rubber snake on you window ledge.  Might want to tie some string to it in case one gets brave and tries to carry it off.  Or get a thin strip of wood and some brads/nails and make on of those repellent strips that keeps the bird from landing on the ledge.

thanks for the great ideas...will go into action today since I really didn't want to get up at 6:15 this morning

I was even thinking lining the ledge with tinfoil so it would make noise when he walked on it

...I will say he keeps a regular schedule within 5 minutes each morning

Edited by scinmyheart

Someone was telling me that they used a couple of  see-through vinyl stickers that people use on their automobile windows and it helps.  Don't know if it was a specific design, but sounds legit and plus you won't notice a thing from inside the house looking out.

It's nesting/mating time for some birds. It sees its reflection in the window and is trying to fight the competitor off....  they're not called "bird brain" for no reason.   Make the reflection go away and so will the bird. 

And please don't use poison. 

Edited by peejman

Had a similar problem a few years ago with a cardinal trying to scare off what he thought was competition but was his reflection. I got some glass wax and smeared it on the outside of the glass, problem solved. Waited a few weeks and cleaned the window.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Garufa said:

Pecking on windows can't be nearly as bad as the ignorant woodpeckers I've got trying to drill holes in the gutters.  

We have one of those too.... Strange woodpecker that takes seed from our feeders up to the sill on top of the brick and opens it there.  Sounds like jackhammer on the roof.

the ledge across the bay window is fairly wide...I just ended up doing it the lazy way by laying a strip of heavy duty aluminum foil across the ledge anchored by small rocks...he's come once, didn't appreciate it and hasn't been back.  I'll leave it in place another week in case he's trying to fake me out

...with my luck, he'll be back as soon as he sees me removing the foil 

On 6/5/2016 at 6:19 PM, Garufa said:

Pecking on windows can't be nearly as bad as the ignorant woodpeckers I've got trying to drill holes in the gutters.  

The one I have is working over the metal flashing on the north end of the house. What racket!