Range report PPK/S

Just got a sw built ppk/s as a warranty replacement for a pk380 from Walther.

Took it out today and fired about 200rds. I learned 3 things.

1) It was completely reliable. Not a single hiccup.

2) it was accurate. At 15 ft I was shooting through the same hole. At 21ft I was grouping quarter sized groups. At 43ft I was inside a 3" circle.

3) It makes my hand bleed. The edges on the grip portion of the reciever are sharp. I need to get them radiused.

Anyone know a good gunsmith around here (Clarksville/North Nashville area) that does this work perfectly?

uploadfromtaptalk1465684524383.thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Fine little gun you have there. Too bad they didn't roll those edges in a bit. Is that a sand blasted finish or finer like glass beads? I haven't seen any of the new ones in years. If its polished, you need to find someone who can replicate the finished grit cut to match what is on there. A small job if you have the wheels and right grit rouge. Best thing about stainless, if they don't get the finish right, it can always be gone over again. 

13 hours ago, espacef1fan said:

No its the sharp edges on the back of the frame on the beaver tail area. They were left oddly sharp.

If that's the case then its a warranty issue to either be corrected by a warranty center or return to the factory.  

• Like 1

The SW built ones have an extended beaver tail. I don't see getting slide bite unless you put your hand over the end of the beavertail.

I took some wet dry sandpaper to the edges, it helped. It wears out too fast so I need to find a better abrasive but I think I'm on the right track.

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, suspiciousmind said:

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the new PPK line. They were supposed to be released in the summer, but rumors indicate there is some sort of internal issue causing the stall.

What does a "new" PPK have to offer?  Polymer and more MIM?

• Like 1

I always thought they were one of the most beautiful handguns every made!  Just true classics along with the S&W Model 60 and the Browning Hi-Power.  Alas being a hater of all things .380, I have never owned one.  But you have a beautiful pistol!  How is the trigger on it?  I had always heard they required a strong finger.

14 hours ago, graycrait said:

espacef1fanI like the fact that you were able to use what you had at hand to make a pretty good pistol a pretty great pistol. 

Isn't that what gun tinkerer's do? :wave:

5 hours ago, suspiciousmind said:

Apparently they've updated the sights and a few cosmetic things. Same ol elongated beaver tail, though.

Miniature Machine Corporation (MMC) at one time made an adjustable rear replacement sight for the PPK/s which the late gun writer Skeeter Skelton wrote about rather frequently.

For those of you who admire the looks of the PPK, PPK/s I agree it is a beautiful gun with the PPK being the more desirable of the two. If you have a reliable PPK or PPK/s in .380 ACP its a nice pistol  If you find one in .32ACP and get a chance to shoot it you'll be amazed at how pleasant it is to shoot. Overall, the PPK, PPK/s is one of the pistols all shooters should find an opportunity to shoot.

• Like 1