Bald Eagles in Middle TN

A few moments ago one of my daughters and I noticed what we both thought looked like a bald eagle flying over our neighbors house.  While I am aware of eagles in other parts of TN, I have never heard of bald eagles around here.  I could also be completely wrong about what I thought I saw.

4 hours ago, Sunfish said:

You may be seeing Brown Eagles.  They range the Cumberland river

Golden Eagle?  They haven't been seen here in quite a while  

It takes a juvenile Bald Eagle 4-5 years to get its white feathers, until then they're basically all brown. Bald Eagles have a very distinctive call, and it's nothing like you hear in the movies (which is typically a Red Tailed Hawk call). 

• Like 1

I crappie fish a lot from the beginning of fall until it gets too hot....which was May this year. I see Bald Eagles during that entire time along the Chickamauga Lake area, up river or down. I always enjoy seeing them. I'm going to take my camera this year and see if I can get some good pics.

Back about 6 or 8 years ago I would travel up the Cumberland River to 7 mile Bluff in the late Spring to watch two pairs of Bald Eagles that nested in the Bluffs every year. I would just ride up there and park the boat across from the bluffs and sooer or later the adults would begin gathering food for the babies. They would spend sometimes an hour and even two hours collecting shad from the river. Once in a while they would nail a large Striper and have their claws full trying to get any altitude back up to the nest and several times they would lose the fish. I made that trip for about 5 years and then I went up there about 3 different times in one Spring and they were no longer there. Never saw them again but I sure enjoyed watching those Majestic Birds care for their young. Also had a pair of Ospreys that had a nest on one of the power towers near the Steam Plant and they would fish also but they also foraged on live game, rabbits mostly. I would watch them while I fished and if I caught a junk fish and I was close enough to the bank I would throw it on the bank under the tower if there was a bird on the nest. If the fish flopped around more than a couple times it was food. They are not bashful at all to a free or easy meal...................:cheers: