Another Reason To Stock Water in America, Toledo Water

Gotta have it! Out of all those people wanting water, it just pisses me off to know that somewhere in there were some selfish people wanting to buy it to sell whenever none was available. <-- Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, just irritating. The scary thing is that this would happen anywhere, Kroger would be out in a day, along with most other places. Just traveling through the area could put you and your family in a life threatening situation with some whacko's that would lay you out in front of your kids for nothing. Imagine if this happened all over the country at one time.

That's why UncleJak always has extra water onhand. I don't have as much as I'd like, but I could manage for a bit. I suggest everyone else do the same. Also, dont forget that in an emergency your ice in your freezer can be melted for water. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1

I was born in Toledo and have many many friends and family that are affected by this. It's not a surprise given the history of algae blooms in Lake Erie. And with microcystis the toxin can't be boiled or filtered out of the water. It going to get worse before it gets better.

How do you store it?

12 7 gal Aquatainers divided between two bathrooms. Though not recommended, stacked two high. Plus some 2 liter pop bottles full here and there. Anybody with any room at all could store 3 months worth pretty easily for one person.  Frugal use of a gallon per day is enough for hydration plus frugal cooking/cleaning/sponge batch.

- OS

• Like 1

We keep about 1500 gallons of water on hand here, would be able to go quite awhile without restock if needed.

If I had a core family still, I'd do the Mormon mind set and have at least a year's worth of food and water for each member. Plus of course lots of other stuff and better plans, like not even living where I do now for one.

My "survivalist" tactics are fairly simple if the worst happens. Have 3 months food and water and etc and of course the firepower to (maybe) protect them. Just planning for having that length of time (maybe) to decide if it's even worth going on, but at least won't be among the first fatalities at the local Kroger. :)

But not kidding myself about the odds here on edge of the urb.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

12 7 gal Aquatainers divided between two bathrooms. Though not recommended, stacked two high. Plus some 2 liter pop bottles full here and there. Anybody with any room at all could store 3 months worth pretty easily for one person.  Frugal use of a gallon per day is enough for hydration plus frugal cooking/cleaning/sponge batch.

- OS

I am not very familiar with long term water storage issues.  Do you rotate the water out periodically?

Here's my rain catchment setup... :)

[URL=http://s82.photobucket.com/user/wayne121170/media/2014-05-21_10-41-32_493_zps5d047a87.jpg.html]2014-05-21_10-41-32_493_zps5d047a87.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s82.photobucket.com/user/wayne121170/media/2014-05-21_10-22-50_312_zpsb2579d31.jpg.html]2014-05-21_10-22-50_312_zpsb2579d31.jpg[/URL]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VLeKngXDJA

Here's my rain catchment setup... :)

I like this setup!

Do you have any filtration on the water and if so, what do you use?  I ask because I've been considering doing something like this (albeit on a smaller scale) and have been looking at barrels designed for catching rain water off the roof that have filters included that, among other things, filter out the granules that come off the shingles.  My intent would be to use for both drinking (after passing through my Big Berky) and perhaps other uses where filtering wouldn't be as big of a concern.

Thanks in advance for any info!

I am not very familiar with long term water storage issues.  Do you rotate the water out periodically?

Haven't yet, been over 3 years on the first I put up and it's fine. Think it mostly matters how clean it was when it was stored and that it's not subjected to anything once containers are sealed. This was chlorinated city water to begin with, too, though chlorine depletes, at least in contact with air.

Easy to see if it's still okay if you keep some in the transparent 2 liter pop bottles as old as your oldest stash, can inspect visually and also of course sample for smell and taste periodically.

Btw, type of plastic container important. I forget the nomenclatures without looking all that up, but the type that milk and gallon size bottled water uses will develop leaks just sitting over time. Not sure about the very thin stuff that's used for the individual small bottles.

Anyway, the 2 liter type bottles and the harder stuff like economy size mouthwash comes in, and HDPE are all essentially forever if kept out of direct sunlight.

- OS

Have a couple of the aquatainers on standby because short-term outages are not that uncommon. I have a couple of large barrels as well (one of which is destined for rainwater) but I haven't had the time to get those set up properly. (I really should just go ahead and fill them with water and worry about getting fancy later).

I think there's definitely a lot to be said for the aquatainers due to the portability. I think this is another area where a diverse strategy is a good idea. Edited by tnguy
[quote name="vontar" post="1175213" timestamp="1407086453"]BTW, people have taking to Craigslist to cash in. [url="http://toledo.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=water&sort=rel"]http://toledo.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=water&sort=rel[/url][/quote]It was heartening to click on that link and see many more posts offering free water to anyone in need, and only a few offering water for sale. Properties with a well are able to help their neighbors and themselves easily. I'm on city water but also have a well, so I would do the same in an emergency.

It was heartening to click on that link and see many more posts offering free water to anyone in need, and only a few offering water for sale. Properties with a well are able to help their neighbors and themselves easily. I'm on city water but also have a well, so I would do the same in an emergency.

when I first posted it, it was very different.  But it appeared people where reporting and getting them taken down.  I saw some that were just offering water for sale, that appeared was not bottled and I wondered if they were bad enough to just try to sell tap water anyways.

BTW, once the pump houses are cleared it will take time for it to get though all the pipes.  I would turn off my ice maker and everything like that.  Empty the ice out regular for a while as well.