Now the libs are going after Popeye.

dlmeadows

Just teach your children that political correctness is for politicians only and not to be used by anyone out side of Government and when their teachers at school try to teach it have your child ask them if they are a teacher or a politician? I only have one grandson left in school and this is the truth. He is now in third grade and his teacher began talking about something the President said about how the people needed to learn more about other peoples origins and learn to accept other nationalities without prejudice.

I could not believe that my grandson raised his hand and when the teacher called on him he stood up and asked her if she was a politician because she sounded like one. She sent him to the office and his parents were. First mistake was sending him to office instead of answering his question and second mistake was calling my son and his wife to the school. The principal spoke to his parents first and told them what question he asked the teacher. 

My son asked the principal what the teacher was discussing that made him ask the question. When the principal told him my son said that he was not going to apologize for his sons question because the teacher was trying to teach children what the Government is trying to brainwash children into believing it is right in it's immigration polices are and that he did not believe they were right either.

The Principal said he was going to send my grandson home 3 days for being disrespectful to the teacher and my son said that's fine and you can explain your teaching practices to News Channel 5 Investigates and any other news networks he could get to come out. Needless to say the principal left the room and was gone for about 10 minutes and when he came back in his office he sad the issue had been resolved and my grandson was going back to class. 

That was about a month ago and their has been no more issues about it and his report card he got a B grade for that grade period in that class. I told my son not to let them teach him the PC BS and since my grandson has a very high IQ and he knows PC BS when he hears it. If not he will do like he did that day and raise his hand and ask questions. There are a few teachers that have been replaced in his school and it was because of their teaching beliefs and teaching formats from what has been learned by parents...... :cheers:  

• Like 2

Thought you guys were simply wrong on the name, as I've always known Popeye's nemesis as Bluto. So a little research reveals the factoids where I learned something too:

Popeye's nemesis was of course first named Bluto in the toons, and for the most part in most of them, except for a couple of years where he became named Brutus, really due to a legal misunderstanding, He was sometimes one or the other in the comic books after the 60's.

Good explanation of this oddity:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1548/is-popeyes-nemesis-named-bluto-or-brutus

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Moderators

Thought you guys were simply wrong on the name, as I've always known Popeye's nemesis as Bluto. So a little research reveals the factoids where I learned something too:

Popeye's nemesis was of course first named Bluto in the toons, and for the most part in most of them, except for a couple of years where he became named Brutus, really due to a legal misunderstanding, He was sometimes one or the other in the comic books after the 60's.

Good explanation of this oddity:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1548/is-popeyes-nemesis-named-bluto-or-brutus

- OS

Whooaaa. You are old!

;)

I'm still waiting for proof that there was a liberal plot to change Popeye.  More likely, this was just the normal changing of a cartoon to meet modern times. 

Popeye is/was a sailor, right?  Well, the public image of sailors isn't rowdy guys with cheap tattoo's anymore.  I'm sure there are plenty of rowdy sailors with tattoo's, but the Navy has cleaned up is image over the years.  Also, pipe smoking is no longer in fashion. 

So, the cartoon changes to keep relevant with the times.  No evil plan liberal attack on Popeye, just a company trying to sell their product in today's market.  I'm sorry if some of you older folks feel slighted, I too remember the old Popeye comics, but they make cartoons for kids, not adults.

• Like 1

:panic: If they are going to change the real Popeye & Brutus and Olive Oil for the benefit of our Children I would rather they just quit using the names and retire them and come up with their own Politically Correct Sailors and bully's and homely girl friends. Lets see   How about Harry Reedy,  Poppy Pelosi  and Slick Biden. That would work for politically correct names anyway. Just write about all the politically correct things they have done for the good of the country and make cartoons about it and see how many kids watch it...................... :shrug:...............jmho

I'm still waiting for proof that there was a liberal plot to change Popeye.  More likely, this was just the normal changing of a cartoon to meet modern times.

The link I posted not seem fairly definitive as to reason?  I saw others that looked to have similar explanation, but on dialup right now so can't hop around very fast.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

The link I posted not seem fairly definitive as to reason?  I saw others that looked to have similar explanation, but on dialup right now so can't hop around very fast.

- OS

Your link was about the name of Popeye's nemesis.  I'm talking about how there is no proof to back up the title of the thread, "Now the libs are going after Popeye."

• Like 2

Your link was about the name of Popeye's nemesis.  I'm talking about how there is no proof to back up the title of the thread, "Now the libs are going after Popeye."

Gotcha.

Well, whether it's "libs" or not the "politically correct" loss of the pipe is big. It (and the tat) were integral to the character. Heck, the pipe was an oft used prop, would could use it as a blowtorch and send smoke signals and whatnot.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot