Gov. Haslam suggests raising the age to purchase an assault weapon

23 minutes ago, The Legion said:

What is an Assault Weapon:confused:   I have several AR-15's but I do not own an Assault Weapon!!

Really,  you think that sarcasm pour semantics will stop the grabbers. If we had a dollar for every time I heard this bit of drivel we would not have a problem. We could pay all the politicians off. Call it what you will they do not give a damn. Try that argument when someone tries to take it,  let me know how that works out. 

Sorry,  pushed my buttons wrong this morning. I need more coffee. 

8 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

Really,  you think that sarcasm pour semantics will stop the grabbers. If we had a dollar for every time I heard this bit of drivel we would not have a problem. We could pay all the politicians off. Call it what you will they do not give a damn. Try that argument when someone tries to take it,  let me know how that works out. 

Sorry,  pushed my buttons wrong this morning. I need more coffee. 

Lighten up Francis; we know what something like this would entail, but I don't see this going anywhere.  KY, AL, NC, GA, would get a sales boost unless they followed suit. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

So at what point does raising the purchase age become “infringed”? I guess they could just circumvent the 2A altogether by raising the minimum age of purchase to 90.

slippery slope and all that. 

The fact that there even is an age to purchase is an infringement don’t you think?

• Like 2

Problem is that the kids these days are not mature enough at 18 to know squat these days. 

They should not be voting until they pass a test. Most of us learned the basics in high school. These days the kids are not taught anything it seems that is harder than how to turn on their dumb phones. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, n0rlf said:

Problem is that the kids these days are not mature enough at 18 to know squat these days. 

They should not be voting until they pass a test. Most of us learned the basics in high school. These days the kids are not taught anything it seems that is harder than how to turn on their dumb phones. 

This isn’t pointed directly at you, but I hear/see this a lot. The question that it raises in my mind is “Who’s fault is that?” If the youth of today aren’t prepared to deal with the world as it really exists. If they haven’t been educated on how to be a rational, thinking, functioning human being, then they were failed by the adults in their lives. They didn’t raise themselves. (Well, some did and that’s an entirely different failure.) Many of us denigrate “the participation trophy generation” for their softness. Well, they didn’t demand those trophies, mommy and daddy did because they couldn’t bear that little Johnny feel the sting of defeat. The adults in their lives added foam bumpers to all the sharp corners of life as kids and then wonder why they demand safe spaces now. Well, they’ve never known anything but that. No wonder they think they deserve it forever. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 4
  • Admin Team
8 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

This isn’t pointed directly at you, but I hear/see this a lot. The question that it raises in my mind is “Who’s fault is that?” If the youth of today aren’t prepared to deal with the world as it really exists. If they haven’t been educated on how to be a rational, thinking, functioning human being, then they were failed by the adults in their lives. They didn’t raise themselves. (Well, some did and that’s an entirely different failure.) Many of us denigrate “the participation trophy generation” for their softness. Well, they didn’t demand those trophies, mommy and daddy did because they couldn’t bear that little Johnny feel the sting of defeat. The adults in their lives added foam bumpers to all the sharp corners of life as kids and then wonder why they demand safe spaces now. Well, they’ve never known anything but that. No wonder they think they deserve it forever. 

To add on to this, when I hear people say this, I wonder how much time they actually spend with kids?

Yes, there are some examples of people making poor choices that are amplified by social media - and a traditional media run by an older generation.  I expect every generation has those. People just have more public platforms to capture their mistakes these days.

But, I’ve got to say that I’m long on these kids.  Some of them are among the smartest kids I’ve ever met - and with tools like have never been seen before in history.  

I often kind of find myself envious of what they’ve got at their disposal.  

The world has changed more in 50 years than it has in the last 50,000.  It shouldn’t be surprising that a lot of people find themselves confused by it. 

But, give them a chance.  Every generation has to find its way as it matures.  I’ve no doubt that this one will come into its own. Their solutions won’t look like those of previous generations - but look at where those have gotten us.  

• Like 5