divorce woes

Short version, son marries, son and wife purchase jeep, son divorces, three years later son is run over by semi and jeep is totaled, son gets check from insurance with his name and ex's name on the check. Ex endorses check for son, bank will not deposit unless ex is on account or present, ex is in Chattanooga, son is in Knoxville does not really want to travel back to Chattanooga unless that is the only option. Can anyone offer a solution? Possible solution, could I endorse and deposit in my account?

Much obliged!

7 minutes ago, blueheeler47 said:

Short version, son marries, son and wife purchase jeep, son divorces, three years later son is run over by semi and jeep is totaled, son gets check from insurance with his name and ex's name on the check. Ex endorses check for son, bank will not deposit unless ex is on account or present, ex is in Chattanooga, son is in Knoxville does not really want to travel back to Chattanooga unless that is the only option. Can anyone offer a solution? Possible solution, could I endorse and deposit in my account?

Much obliged!

Evidently that bank does not appreciate having your sons business. Tell him to go to one of the bank officers and not a teller and tell him that if they don't allow him to deposit that check he will close all of his accounts and go to a new bank to do business. See if he gets any where. If not after he does get the check cashed I would go back to the bank and tell the same bank officer I would like to close all accounts. I won't let them bully me. 

I had an issue with BOA about 2 months ago as they try to bully me. I went to drive up with a savings withdrawal Slip to take $500.00 out of my savings account. She told me I would have to come inside. I parked and walked in side. Walked up to the teller and I was told that the maximum I could withdraw from my savings account was $300.00. I told her i didn't want $300.00 I want $500.00 like it said on the slip. She said she could not do it so I took a seat and waited for a bank officer to come and get me. Once O got in an office with one I told him what I wanted and he said it was a new rule of BOA that there was a maximum $300.00 amount that coud be with drawn from saving accounts. I said ok, then I want to close both of my accounts right now. His eyes got big and he said he didn't want to lose my business I said you are on the verge of it. He took my slip up to the counter and brought me back $500.00 in $100.00 bills as I requested. I thnaked him got up and walked out. I'm still looking for a locally owned bank to move my accounts to..............:mad:  :wall:

• Like 3

It is a pain in the but policy but I think it is the correct one.  The bank does not want to get in-between a divorced couple.  If they are presented a check with two peoples names and it is being deposited into an account with only one of the names, it is smart to have both people there.  They have no way of knowing if the signature is forged or not.  It has happened many times before in a divorce cases where one person deposits a joint check and then the bank finds themselves in the middle of a lawsuit.  From a business viewpoint, it is a good policy.

It sucks but he might have to go to Chattanooga to deposit it if you can not find another way.  If there is a branch in Chattanooga maybe the ex will go by and sign a form authorizing the deposit or something like that.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

If there is a branch in Chattanooga maybe the ex will go by and sign a form authorizing the deposit or something like that.

This about the best move to make.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KahrMan said:

It is a pain in the but policy but I think it is the correct one.  The bank does not want to get in-between a divorced couple.  If they are presented a check with two peoples names and it is being deposited into an account with only one of the names, it is smart to have both people there.  They have no way of knowing if the signature is forged or not.  It has happened many times before in a divorce cases where one person deposits a joint check and then the bank finds themselves in the middle of a lawsuit.  From a business viewpoint, it is a good policy.

It sucks but he might have to go to Chattanooga to deposit it if you can not find another way.  If there is a branch in Chattanooga maybe the ex will go by and sign a form authorizing the deposit or something like that.

When I started reading, I seriously thought the above story is where the post was going.

You son's first move should have been to get her name removed from the title/loan after the divorce.

• Like 2

Son should get a certified copy of the divorce decree and take it to the bank and see if that will satisfy their requirements for depositing the check.  Or, talk to insurance agent and see if they will ACH the funds to his acct with the return of the check originally issued.  

While I understand not wanting to deal with/see the ex, if the son wants the $$ bad enough, drive to Chattanooga.

3 hours ago, peejman said:

Have the insurance company send a corrected check. That's assuming both their names aren't on the policy anymore. Else, certified copy of decree and politely don't take no for an answer. 

Interesting take, her name was not on the insurance, just the title. Our credit union let us deposit the check into our savings account this morning, I appreciate the suggestions! Your a good group to be associated with!

• Like 1