Teacher Spying on Student

1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

I mean, after all, if lying isn't free speech

Oh it is free speech if the LEO lies to you to try and trick you into saying something incriminating. Don't talk to them. I don't see the difference in me lying to them versus them lying to me. If you want me to be honest, why are you not being honest??

57 minutes ago, Omega said:

I'm no Apple fan, but I followed the story and kind of support their decision. The feds wanted a backdoor to the software that runs their phones, and Apple did not want to provide one.  You can't sell a product with an intentional security flaw.  I am sure they already had a means to get into the phone, but the feds didn't want to reveal that fact.  Was that before or after Snowden?

Are you kidding me? It's done all of the time. A lack of secure codes reviews is why there's so many holes for cyber-thieves to use.

2 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Oh it is free speech if the LEO lies to you to try and trick you into saying something incriminating. Don't talk to them. I don't see the difference in me lying to them versus them lying to me. If you want me to be honest, why are you not being honest??

Yes, I'm absolutely amazed that this hasn't been challenged all the way to the supreme court by now.

I am seriously thinking of ditching our smartphones. I lived a pretty good life pre-cellphone and I can still do it. I have maps, can read the maps, have a landline and an answering machine. And if push comes to shove you can send snail mail via the current postal service. If you need to contact me you can call me at home, come to my home or send a letter. Look at all the options you have and none of them involve me paying $85 per month to have my privacy infringed. I also have a flashlight and a camera, as I use my phone for those 2 tasks more than talking on them. I have about had it with all this "smart" technology. I don't need a smart refrigerator talking to my laptop or T.V., sorry I am old school thru and thru. I can also cook supper without electricity on a gas range

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

The feds wanted them to break their encryption and give them a back door that would have allowed them to break anyone’s iPhone at will. That backdoor would have created and insecurity that would have allowed any two bit hacker in. 

Make no mistake, the feds can break into your phone if they want to. They eventually broke into the same phones you mention. Apple just isn’t setting the precedent that they’ll compromise everyone’s security without a warrant. 

If you have nothing to hide, why are you worried?  

• Haha 1

I have to agree with Dirtshooter on a lot of the things he says. I have two flat screen TV's. The one in my bedroom I watch at night when I did a channel search was able find 52 channels even though many of them are not something I would watch there are about 15 I do watch. In my living room I have a flat screen Smart TV and when I did a channel search on it the smart TV could only find 12 channels on the same antenna the one in the bedroom is on. I have done a channel search about 10 times and the most it has found is 14 and the two it found didn't have a reception available. When my son in law extended his Wi-Fi from their house to mine he installed it on the smart TV and I now have Hulu and Amazon Primes and tons of movies plus local channels. I have ben wanting to see the program Picard and I began watching it and got through chapter 1 and part of Chapter 2 and paused it and can go back when I feel like it and pick up where I was. Without Wi-Fi the TV was junk. So smart is only when you add a bunch of programs to it to make it smart!! I have already said I had a smart phone till it turned out to be smarter than me and I gave it to grandson and still using a 15 year old Cricket flip phone. 

3 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Are you kidding me? It's done all of the time. A lack of secure codes reviews is why there's so many holes for cyber-thieves to use.

Most companies don't intentionally put software out with known flaws, otherwise they would patch them.  Now, software that wasn't fully vetted, yea all the time, some more than others, but many do it.  That is one reason why I became involved with open source programs, the code is out there for anyone to review and you can compile your own copy.  

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

If you have nothing to hide, why are you worried?  

I do have something to hide, most everyone does.  There are reasons there are doors and locks to bathroom stalls, we all got #### to hide.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Code breaking will always surpass code writing.  Its a matter of motivation. 

2 hours ago, Omega said:

I do have something to hide, most everyone does.  There are reasons there are doors and locks to bathroom stalls, we all got #### to hide.  

shame that wasn’t the attitude in 2001 or whenever the patriot act was passed. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Omega said:

Most companies don't intentionally put software out with known flaws, otherwise they would patch them.  Now, software that wasn't fully vetted, yea all the time, some more than others, but many do it.  That is one reason why I became involved with open source programs, the code is out there for anyone to review and you can compile your own copy.  

Long live Linux!

11 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

shame that wasn’t the attitude in 2001 or whenever the patriot act was passed. 

Ah, but it was, at least with me.  I believe in the right of the government to spy on those it suspects are terrorists, but there needs to be better controls than the secret courts which, as we all found out, is flawed by the old Trash in- trash out method of requesting warrants. 

Now they're telling parents what they can or can't do in their own homes 

A Tennessee school district is under fire for asking parents to sign a form agreeing not to eavesdrop on kids' virtual classes over concerns they could overhear confidential information.

After significant pushback, Rutherford County Schools is allowing parents to tune in with permission from the teacher but they can't record the classes.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/tennessee-parents-waiver-eavesdropping-online-lessons

• Wow 1
6 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Now they're telling parents what they can or can't do in their own homes 

A Tennessee school district is under fire for asking parents to sign a form agreeing not to eavesdrop on kids' virtual classes over concerns they could overhear confidential information.

After significant pushback, Rutherford County Schools is allowing parents to tune in with permission from the teacher but they can't record the classes.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/tennessee-parents-waiver-eavesdropping-online-lessons

Strange. We always had an open invitation from our kids teachers. My wife went in and helped out a couple days per week.