Jump to content

Hey Jeep Guys! Question...


Recommended Posts

Just went and looked at a 2000 Jeep my kid is wanting to purchase. It has about 100k miles and just had a new 4 cylinder engine installed.

I was expecting it to be junk, but was surprised that it is actually pretty nice. Everything works. Runs and drives out good. No leaks. Good body and factory paint. Clean underneath like it hasn't been off road much. I'm not a Jeep guy.

Is $8650 out of line for a decent Jeep? Is there anything in particular I should look for?

Link to post
9 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Yeah.

I would have a hard time paying almost $9k for a 21 year old Jeep with a 4 banger but I don't know what it's worth and they tend to hold their value. Was it rust free underneath? I find it odd they already had to replace the engine at 100k miles but it is a Jeep so....?Ultimately it's your call. 

Might be worth paying for a Carfax at least. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I would have a hard time paying almost $9k for a 21 year old Jeep with a 4 banger but I don't know what it's worth and they tend to hold their value. Was it rust free underneath? I find it odd they already had to replace the engine at 100k miles but it is a Jeep so....?Ultimately it's your call. 

Might be worth paying for a Carfax at least. 

I found that a bit odd as well, Erik. It was clean and rust free underneath. Paint not faded. It has been taken care of. These folks had another Jeep set up for mudding. I think this one was just a daily driver.

Link to post

I would avoid it at that price. About 2k over market. As Erik mentioned the new mill at 100k miles is a big flag for me especially considering that 4 banger is a tough engine. Trouble you run into is anything larger than stock tires it will be underpowered. Also be aware 1997 models and up are bad to rust. Ive owned several and will buy another one if all the stars align and I avoid the above things I pointed out. Hope this helps. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Moderators
Just now, gregintenn said:

You don’t sound like a Jeep giuy.

I’m actually neutral. I always wanted one really bad but saw that reviews were so-so after being bought by Chrysler and then when they were bought by Fiat it went down ever more. Personal observation. When I discovered the 4Runner line I found I personally like them, but depends on which Jeep mode you are comparing. 
 

Here’s to hoping that the Bronco is cool, but who knows. 

Link to post
12 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I’m actually neutral. I always wanted one really bad but saw that reviews were so-so after being bought by Chrysler and then when they were bought by Fiat it went down ever more. Personal observation. When I discovered the 4Runner line I found I personally like them, but depends on which Jeep mode you are comparing. 
 

Here’s to hoping that the Bronco is cool, but who knows. 

Well this is a 17 year old kid. He isn’t interested in an suv. He really wants a Mustang, but insurance costs are prohibitive. He’s currently driving a Z71 Chevy. It’s nicer than a Jeep by every metric. I think he likes the manual transmission.

His brother has a Tacoma. One those would work, but they are pretty much unobtainable.

Edited by gregintenn
Link to post
  • Moderators

If I were going for a keep, I’d probably feel a lot better about older ones. A buddy had a Cherokee that I believe was 2000. He loved the thing to death. 

Link to post

I learned to drive on a 73 CJ and had a couple YJ's.  Really fun vehicles if you have good mountain trails around.  The last Jeep I had was a 2005 Diesel Liberty. It was a far better road vehicle yet still not bad in the woods but needs a lift if woods is a regular exerciser. I would have kept the Liberty but the Italian motorini engines started having head gasket and valve stem failures. Since I was coming up a 200K, I got rid of it. Too bad, I had a program in the PCM and a number of upgrades, that little Jeep had alot of git up n go. Those Liberties were good vehicles. High milage 3.7's were bad for head gaskets and the 4 bangers were light on power.  Hard choice.

  • Like 2
Link to post
14 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

His brother has a Tacoma. One those would work, but they are pretty much unobtainable.

Have you looked at the often forgotten 1st Gen Tundra(2000-2006)? They don't turn many heads so most people don't notice them. Nearly un-killable V8 in a truck that's not much bigger than a Tacoma. This is the engine that has gone a million miles 2-3 times now. I see 3-4 near you for sale on Facebook Marketplace. The biggest issue on these is frame rust but being in the South you have a decent shot of finding one. For some reason they never got the cult following that the Tacoma did which means they are priced substantially less. If he wanted 4 full doors the were offered from 04-06. 

Add some bigger tires and better wheels and they start to look nice. Mine is an 02 Access cab.  If he wants a manual trans they did offer them but not with the V8 and they are hard to find now. 

 

[IMG]

 

[IMG]

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
18 minutes ago, xtriggerman said:

I learned to drive on a 73 CJ and had a couple YJ's.  Really fun vehicles if you have good mountain trails around.  The last Jeep I had was a 2005 Diesel Liberty. It was a far better road vehicle yet still not bad in the woods but needs a lift if woods is a regular exerciser. I would have kept the Liberty but the Italian motorini engines started having head gasket and valve stem failures. Since I was coming up a 200K, I got rid of it. Too bad, I had a program in the PCM and a number of upgrades, that little Jeep had alot of git up n go. Those Liberties were good vehicles. High milage 3.7's were bad for head gaskets and the 4 bangers were light on power.  Hard choice.

I missed a low mileage CRD 05 liberty not long ago. A little turbo tweaking and those things are red light rockets. A lot of people never knew they even stuck a diesel in those.

Link to post
5 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Have you looked at the often forgotten 1st Gen Tundra(2000-2006)? They don't turn many heads so most people don't notice them. Nearly un-killable V8 in a truck that's not much bigger than a Tacoma. This is the engine that has gone a million miles 2-3 times now. I see 3-4 near you for sale on Facebook Marketplace. The biggest issue on these is frame rust but being in the South you have a decent shot of finding one. For some reason they never got the cult following that the Tacoma did which means they are priced substantially less. If he wanted 4 full doors the were offered from 04-06. 

Add some bigger tires and better wheels and they start to look nice. Mine is an 02 Access cab.  If he wants a manual trans they did offer them but not with the V8 and they are hard to find now. 

 

[IMG]

 

[IMG]

 

I’m sure those are great trucks, but not really what he’s after. As I said, he already has a good full size truck.

Link to post
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

I’m sure those are great trucks, but not really what he’s after. As I said, he already has a good full size truck.

Oh I see. I thought he just wanted a new(to him) vehicle. I didn't realize he just wanted something for fun.  In that case a Jeep makes sense. 

Link to post

I think $6500 would kill it, and that would be top market value for it.  Walk away, it will be a good lesson for the kid to learn, don't get hung up on one particular vehicle when looking around to buy.  There will be others ...

  • Like 1
Link to post

As far as the motor replacement at about 100,000 miles, it might have not been serviced regular. That'll do in a motor. The price irks me. That's a little high for sure. I drove a jeep about the same model year, with 4 cylinder. It wasn't bad on power. Not a powerhouse but, driveable and fun.

  • Like 1
Link to post
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I found that a bit odd as well, Erik. It was clean and rust free underneath. Paint not faded. It has been taken care of. These folks had another Jeep set up for mudding. I think this one was just a daily driver.

I'd bet it was garaged it's whole life, I would pay a premium for rust free original paint vehicle but surly not for a jeep

  • Like 1
Link to post

If he really wants a jeep, look for at least a TJ with the 4.0L inline 6.   LJ's have a little more room in the back, but people really do think those are made of gold ($$$).  Wranglers hold value, but not what some people seem to think.

Link to post

We bought my daughter a 4runner.  I have a jeep.  Make whatever you want of those two facts.

Edited by Daniel
Link to post
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

We bought my daughter a 4runner.  I have a jeep.  Make whatever you want of those two facts.

You're a good dad. You’ve raised a smart kid who learns from Dad’s mistakes. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post

This thread went differently than I would have guessed. Maybe the fire for Jeeps is just local to my hometown. Thanks for the help!

Link to post
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

This thread went differently than I would have guessed. Maybe the fire for Jeeps is just local to my hometown. Thanks for the help!

Sorry was late. I have a 2000 wrangler SE, 4 cyl Wrangler. Had it 15 years now. Drive it work daily from Dover to Clarksville. My engine gave it up at 200k miles. I use slightly taller tires, but not overly large, 235/75-15s and I roll at 75mph the whole way. $8k is a touch high but not bad if all else is in perfect shape. A TJ jeep will last forever with regular maintenance. The things that do need replaced from time to time are much less costly than a payment. I have put 10k in mine overall even replacing the engine. Much less cost than what a new one would be but then I enjoy shop time with my Jeep.

  • Like 3
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.