Jump to content

Memphis Folks: Good Lunch Spots Near Memphis?


Recommended Posts

My wife and I are traveling through Memphis on our way to a wedding in Hope, Arkansas on Friday. The plan would put us in Memphis at the lunch hour. Can anyone recommend a good spot for lunch that isn't a big chain restaurant?

Link to post
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Memphis BBQ doesn’t exist outside of Memphis. But if you’re from KC, your tastebuds may have been irrevocably damaged in childhood. I’ll pray for ya. 😂

The damage is worse than I thought. I’ll add you to the congregation’s prayer lists. 

I’m going to give you a different recommendation than @Chucktshoeson barbecue - but Central BBQ is my favorite.  The one downtown by the Lorraine Motel. He’s gonna tell you Bar-b-cue Shop or Inte

Posted Images

  • Moderators

What do you think you’d want to eat?

 

If you want BBQ, I got an answer for that. If you want catfish, I got an answer for that. You want other random food, I got answers for that. 😂 

Folks can say what they want about Memphis, but we got the best food in the state. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Admin Team

I’m going to give you a different recommendation than @Chucktshoeson barbecue - but Central BBQ is my favorite.  The one downtown by the Lorraine Motel.

He’s gonna tell you Bar-b-cue Shop or Interstate and those are pretty good too.

  • Like 4
Link to post
21 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Folks can say what they want about Memphis, but we got the best food in the state. 

There is no doubt about that.  Memphis folks know how to eat.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’m going to give you a different recommendation than @Chucktshoeson barbecue - but Central BBQ is my favorite.  The one downtown by the Lorraine Motel.

Tourist trap.  The original on Central in Midtown is much better.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
  • Moderators

@MacGyvercalled it. He knows my picks. (Central is really good, but @Garufa is right. Go to the original on Central.)  I’ll throw another one in there, Cozy Corner BBQ on N. Parkway it’s over by St. Jude. Get the Cornish Hens. They’re amazing. 
 

If you’re feeling catfish, go to Soulfish. If you want Mexican, Las Delicias is my pick. If you want some friend chicken, Gus’s Fried Chicken either downtown or on Mendenhall. Only those two as you won’t be anywhere near the original out in Mason. 
 

If you’re feeling adventurous, there are lots of great little cafes in midtown. Just pick any one and give it go. 
 

If you just want some good bar style sandwiches, burgers and such, Young Avenue Deli. Their cheese fries are the best. 
 

Its amazing how I didn’t get fat until after I left Memphis. 😂😂😂

  • Like 3
Link to post
50 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

What do you think you’d want to eat?

 

If you want BBQ, I got an answer for that. If you want catfish, I got an answer for that. You want other random food, I got answers for that. 😂 

Folks can say what they want about Memphis, but we got the best food in the state. 

I like BBQ, (I'm originally from Kansas City), but I don't care for "Memphis" style if Whitt's BBQ is a true representation of that style. I went there ONCE here in Nashville and was offended by it. 🤢

I hate fish, but I like a good meat and three. My wife would turn down Mexican and I don't care for Chinese.

Link to post
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, E4 No More said:

I like BBQ, (I'm originally from Kansas City), but I don't care for "Memphis" style if Whitt's BBQ is a true representation of that style. I went there ONCE here in Nashville and was offended by it. 🤢

I hate fish, but I like a good meat and three. My wife would turn down Mexican and I don't care for Chinese.

Memphis BBQ doesn’t exist outside of Memphis. But if you’re from KC, your tastebuds may have been irrevocably damaged in childhood. I’ll pray for ya. 😂

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

@MacGyvercalled it. He knows my picks. (Central is really good, but @Garufa is right. Go to the original on Central.)  I’ll throw another one in there, Cozy Corner BBQ on N. Parkway it’s over by St. Jude. Get the Cornish Hens. They’re amazing. 
 

If you’re feeling catfish, go to Soulfish. If you want Mexican, Las Delicias is my pick. If you want some friend chicken, Gus’s Fried Chicken either downtown or on Mendenhall. Only those two as you won’t be anywhere near the original out in Mason. 
 

If you’re feeling adventurous, there are lots of great little cafes in midtown. Just pick any one and give it go. 
 

If you just want some good bar style sandwiches, burgers and such, Young Avenue Deli. Their cheese fries are the best. 
 

Its amazing how I didn’t get fat until after I left Memphis. 😂😂😂

We ate at the Gus' Fried Chicken in Knoxville. It was alright, but not the hot chicken I'm used to in Nashville. @MacGyver can testify to my idea of hot chicken - although I'm finding that comes at a cost as I get older.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 1
Link to post
2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Memphis BBQ doesn’t exist outside of Memphis. But if you’re from KC, your tastebuds may have been irrevocably damaged in childhood. I’ll pray for ya. 😂

You're nuts! Reduced and smoked BBQ sauce on ribs or brisket is da-bomb!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
  • Moderators

Gus’s ain’t like Nashville hot chicken, but it ain’t supposed to be. I definitely prefer one over the other. 
 

Kinda sounds like you would be well served dropping into midtown and finding a random cafe. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

You're nuts! Reduced and smoked BBQ sauce on ribs or brisket is da-bomb!

Dry rub is the way. I’ll take it every time over the ketchup on burnt beef they call BBQ in KC. 

  • Like 3
Link to post

Hell, just find the closest Tops BBQ  (which on the low end of what is available locally) to the interstate and you’ll have better than what is available in the rest of the state.  Their burgers are fantastic as well.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4
Link to post
1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

Dry rub is the way. I’ll take it every time over the ketchup on burnt beef they call BBQ in KC. 

You were definitely eating at the wrong place then. I've been down here for 23 years now, but there were places like Bryant's that were excellent. Bryant's has had more than one President eat there, but they went downhill after the old man died and his daughter took over. He used to make all of his sauce at once for the whole year. Once he ran out he closed for vacation. He stored it in big glass containers in his front window. The trick was getting it as aged as you could before he ran out.

Link to post
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

You were definitely eating at the wrong place then. I've been down here for 23 years now, but there were places like Bryant's that were excellent. Bryant's has had more than one President eat there, but they went downhill after the old man died and his daughter took over. He used to make all of his sauce at once for the whole year. Once he ran out he closed for vacation. He stored it in big glass containers in his front window. The trick was getting it as aged as you could before he ran out.

This is an argument that has been raging for decades, and we won’t ever see eye to eye on it. At least not unless you experience a miracle and have your tastebuds healed. 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post

And if you want the best pulled pork anywhere detour through North Alabama and go to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur Alabama.  Ten times best pulled pork and 5 times Grand Champion at Memphis In May.  The Memphis BBQ joints can't touch it for pulled pork (or BBQ chicken with white sauce).

  • Like 1
Link to post
11 minutes ago, A516 said:

And if you want the best pulled pork anywhere detour through North Alabama and go to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur Alabama.  Ten times best pulled pork and 5 times Grand Champion at Memphis In May.  The Memphis BBQ joints can't touch it for pulled pork (or BBQ chicken with white sauce).

It’s a good thing you’ll never find that foul abhorrence of “white sauce” in Memphis.  Proper people do not slather mayonnaise on BBQ.  It’s why Alabama is just wrong.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, A516 said:

And if you want the best pulled pork anywhere detour through North Alabama and go to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur Alabama.  Ten times best pulled pork and 5 times Grand Champion at Memphis In May.  The Memphis BBQ joints can't touch it for pulled pork (or BBQ chicken with white sauce).

White sauce is a heathen concoction that’s what happens when you leave bored white people alone in the kitchen too long. 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Uh Guys, they're taking about stopping for lunch. Not a full course meal. 🙄

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Hell, just find the closest Tops BBQ  (which on the low end of what is available locally) to the interstate and you’ll have better than what is available in the rest of the state.  Their burgers are fantastic as well.

I completely agree. If all you want is a good lunch, just hit the nearest Tops. They're all over town as its a local franchise.  Many are near interstate exits. The best Bar-B-Que sandwich in town without the tourist trap prices. And as Garufa pointed out, great cooked to order burgers too. 

 

Link to post
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

We ate at the Gus' Fried Chicken in Knoxville. It was alright, but not the hot chicken I'm used to in Nashville. @MacGyver can testify to my idea of hot chicken - although I'm finding that comes at a cost as I get older.

There’s a big stretch of not much between Memphis and Hope.

You better pitch it down the center and play it safe.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post

Whether you like white sauce or not, no place in Memphis (or west Tennessee for that matter) can close to Big Bob Gibson's pulled pork.  Drive down from east Tennessee periodically to eat at Big Bob Gibson's.  

Link to post
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

@MacGyvercalled it. He knows my picks. (Central is really good, but @Garufa is right. Go to the original on Central.)  I’ll throw another one in there, Cozy Corner BBQ on N. Parkway it’s over by St. Jude. Get the Cornish Hens. They’re amazing. 
 

If you’re feeling catfish, go to Soulfish. If you want Mexican, Las Delicias is my pick. If you want some friend chicken, Gus’s Fried Chicken either downtown or on Mendenhall. Only those two as you won’t be anywhere near the original out in Mason. 
 

If you’re feeling adventurous, there are lots of great little cafes in midtown. Just pick any one and give it go. 
 

If you just want some good bar style sandwiches, burgers and such, Young Avenue Deli. Their cheese fries are the best. 
 

Its amazing how I didn’t get fat until after I left Memphis. 😂😂😂

Outside of home cooking, Cozy Corner has the best ribs I’ve ever tasted. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
  • Admin Team

I had something at BIg Bob Gibsons years ago that changed every bad thing I ever said about Alabama.

Pork tenderloin is generally good enough alone. But they’ve taken it, cut it into strips, wrapped it in pinwheels with bacon, grilled it, then served it with a pecan bourbon sauce.  It’s a little piece of heaven. 
 

edit to add: they published the recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pecan-crusted-pork-tenderloin-pinwheels-with-carolina-mustard-sauce-352954/amp

  • Like 1
Link to post

My buddy and I always go to Decatur a couple of times a summer to play a round of golf at Point Mallard and then have dinner at Big Bobs. The BBQ is great, the sweat tea is made correctly (real sugar) and the chocolate pie is delicious. 
Their white sauce is great but only belongs on poultry, chicken/turkey. 

Link to post

Three Little Pigs is my choice for BBQ.  A good non-BBQ choice would be The Cupboard.

  • Like 3
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.