The AR and it's 223, will blow a leg or head right off!

I do avoid most media, as its primarily biased. Every once in a while you see something go by you can't leave alone. Today that was the media trying to feed the uninformed some misrepresentations about the AR and its round with the help of Charleston officials. I won't bore you the details around the misrepresentations, but a couple pics from the screen seem to summarized well. Sorry for the low quality.

Some 'expert' disinformation from the Charleston.

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

I read an article on CNN by Dr. Sanjay Gupta or whatever his name is about how powerful and devastating AR15s are.  He quoted all sorts of stats and info about velocity, bullet weight, cavitation, etc.  He even provided an incorrect formula for kinetic energy.  The typical gun-illiterate CNN fan will quickly infer that only AR15s are capable of some of things Gupta describes, when he is really describing any high power rifle round, as opposed to the gun used to deliver it.  But that important detail will be lost on many.  

• Like 1

Sounds like that kind of expert may be making it's rounds.  In conjunction with this was was another article that was similar to the one your referring to. It was an female Indian ‘trauma surgeon’ who is actually an anti gun activist. Her premise was the AR is not survivable, with enough factual info on velocity,  cavitation, and footage of fragmentation in ballistic gel to make her next leaps easy for the anti gunners to buy.

She went on to infer how much safer handgun accidents at home are for children playing with a gun they found, as they can pretty much always save them. 

Leaving out placement, a directed shot vs AD peripheral wound, etc., leaving out the typical use case of ARs being deliberate shootings and taking info from .gov studies and development of the round.

The leap and inference in relation to children was there are equal numbers of young kids playing with  ARs shooting themselves as if its comparable to them playing with handguns. Sure….. that sounds right? 

Hell, a I’m sure it would be easy to find at least one person with to much time on there hands who will run out to youtube to find “proof” that ARs always blow heads clean off and expect everyone is confused enough to think it’s a thing. 

Edited by Erich
  • Like 1

I've seen several media reports about the Uvalde shooting that said that several kids were shot in the head and could only be identified by their clothing. Can't say if its true, but its definitely media sensationalism at its best,  💩

• Dislike 1

Fair to say they are using the full set of tricks.  Hyperbole or gross exaggeration aimed at a specific  weapon some want to see banned. Does that turn the AR into a decapitation or limb removal tool??  Heck no.

No one is having a good day if shot in the head with any firearm. Attempting to roll the specifics of a certain amount of tissue damage / derangement in support of that agenda or spreading an unsubstantiated media narrative doesn’t strike me as the best idea. 

But, internet to the rescue!  There is proof!

M16 shot…yep…blows that head clean off the body, no problem 

• Like 1
On 6/10/2022 at 7:36 PM, Garufa said:

I’m pretty sure a rifle round will split a person’s head wide open, especially a little kid’s, even to the point of leaving nothing left that’s identifiable other than a chin.

I dont want to upvote this comment but I agree.

• Moderators

While the way it’s being framed is overly sensational, it isn’t wrong either. As @Garufa said, just about any non-rimfire rifle round will blow a head apart. That’s not to say the 5.56/.223 is especially powerful, we all know it’s not. On the other hand, just because the opposition is being disingenuous in their arguments doesn’t give us license to do the same. 

So the response to this sort of statement isn’t “that’s not true” it is “that’s true of any rifle round regardless of the type or action design.”

• Like 1

I am not sure the significance is fully appreciated in context of our current environment. Keeping in mind these inaccuracies and liberties with figurative references are meant to create mental images to sway opinion and "educate" voters who have no knowledge of firearms in the absence of empirical evidence.

Considering this context, accurate representations and semantics do matter and should be challenged imo. Fair in both directions. Just the facts, no hyperbole for the sake of an agenda.

Perhaps some are allowing the well known idiom,  'blow someone's head off' (headshot irrespective of damage level) as close enough. You shouldn't give gun grabbers close enough.  In this case, they are selling it in the literal sense however. As in zero tissue above neck / decapitation based on phrasing and reference to legs being severed from body. The lesser damage (even though severe) that is typical simply does not give the powerful imagine they want.

I hold that under normal circumstances a single 223 will not sever / guillotine /  remove either a leg or head from the body in the literal sense.  Reduced cranial contents is not the same thing. That round is not doing anything new it has not been in the past, just because there is new reason to use the momentum of shooting events to turn it into a guillotine of death.

I would ask how that may be disingenuous? Not sure why are we wanting to give them piece(s) of missing skull and tissue = decapitation to use against us? 

For what its worth, I don't see offering other high power rounds as a defense as a good idea. It just feeds into their position and makes them targets without countering the issue of liberties being taken.

Random thought. Someone shot in the lung with a reasonable velocity 9mm would end up with an exit wound, decent damage, and some lung tissue out that exist wound. And of course, loss of lung in some cases. But did note folks having issue with the premise that exaggerations where being used to drive the unknowing.  Guess some have different thresholds for exaggeration 😉