Hummingbirds??

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Beautiful bird and great picture....🤩 I don't have a camera that I can zoom in that close!!

That feeder is hanging on the back porch post and my daughter took it from about 6' away. She was sitting still/quiet in a chair and happened to have her camera out and ready. Here's the video:

Edited by BigK
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I got up a little earlier than normal because Rosie was barking at something and could not go back to sleep so I made my way to the coffee pot. I looked out the window while pouring my coffee and quit in the middle of it to look at all the Hummingbirds I had fighting over my feeders. I would guess there was between 12 to 15 birds fighting and a couple where actually feeding. I finished filling my cup and then just sipped coffee and watched birds till there was only a couple and poured a second cup and went in to get dressed for the day.  I sure hope they stay for the summer. I went out yesterday and sat for about an hour and had 4 birds show up a couple times.

• Like 2

I was camping out at my land in Hadin County this past Saturday, heard the call of a hummingbird and started looking, there were a few flying around eating, something, but couldn't tell what.  No flowers I could see anywhere, no blossoms, nothing like that so it must have been bugs. I was a bit surprised to see them like in the area.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Omega said:

I was camping out at my land in Hadin County this past Saturday, heard the call of a hummingbird and started looking, there were a few flying around eating, something, but couldn't tell what.  No flowers I could see anywhere, no blossoms, nothing like that so it must have been bugs. I was a bit surprised to see them like in the area.

Hummingbirds will eat flying insects about as much as they eat Nectar as they need the protein that they can't get from the nectar. It's rare to see them when they are eating bugs unless there is a swarm of flies or Mosquitos and it's easy for them to feed.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone getting the number of birds they normally get on their feeders? I have only got 5 that are staying around and feeding. I had 1 day that I had a bunch but they didn't stay. I have tried changing out the nectar a couple times but nothing works. I normally have 15 to 20 birds all summer???? 

15 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Is anyone getting the number of birds they normally get on their feeders? I have only got 5 that are staying around and feeding. I had 1 day that I had a bunch but they didn't stay. I have tried changing out the nectar a couple times but nothing works. I normally have 15 to 20 birds all summer???? 

Not me, just have one as far as I can tell, he just sits there drinking without worrying about being buzzed. 

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Omega said:

Not me, just have one as far as I can tell, he just sits there drinking without worrying about being buzzed. 

Thanks Omega! I thought I might be doing something wrong but if you don't have birds it must be something else!!!

Those weird cold snaps may have halted their usual migration.  Last year I started with just a couple here and there then towards the end of the season I had a bunch, figured they used me as a stop on the way south.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am glad to announce that the H-birds have finally arrived here in Gordonsville. I filled all my Feeders last Sunday and by Wednesday I had about 15-20 birds fighting over them and had to refill the feeders yesterday and still have a bunch of birds fighting over them this morning. Most seem to be adults but there are a few juveniles in the mix.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I got my wish...😆 I have a bunch of H-birds and have to fill my 8 feeders twice a week. I finally got a few males this past week. I have 4 Ruby Red Throats that I have seen on different feeders at the same time and also have at least 5 solid black birds and many young half grown birds.

I had another 10 pounds of sugar brought to me today by my daughter as I ran out on Thursday. The birds have gotten so use to me being out on the deck filling feeders that they come and feed on other feeders while I am refilling the ones they normally feed on and after I hang a feeder and walk away they move from the one they are on to the one I just hung. I have had a few times I will be going out the door with 2 feeders and there will be a couple birds hovering just outside the railing and when I begin to hang the feeders they will be on the feeders while I'm hanging them. If I am still alive next year to feed these little critters The deck will have any awning on it. I gave my daughter the last 2 feeders I had to put up and she has birds now also on her front porch. I hope y'all have birds and are enjoying them like I am!!!! 

• Like 2

we have maybe 4, kinda hard to count. They spend a lot of time just chasing each other away. Just have one feeder up currently. I will usually put up a second feeder just around the corner of the house and a couple of birds have been checking this area out, so I'm guessing they were here last year.

@seez52, Those little critters have remarkable memories and can remember where they fed the previous years and that is why they keep going to that area. I try to put the feeders in the same places each year. Another thing I began doing with this hot weather is I have an old refrigerator on the back deck and at night after they have quit feeding for the night I take the feeders down and put them in the fridge and before I go to bed I go out and rehang them with the cold food in the feeders cause they do most of their feeding early and the nectar is still cool. My friends say I am a little overboard on taking care of the birds. I tell them it gives me something to do....LOL. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

So all summer long I've basically had only one hummingbird hanging around.  Today in the rain I have three fighting over the feeder.  One has apparently won as it is sitting on the feeder and looking around, not drinking anything.

I was the same way, but last week I noticed the feeder level was lower than usual, so started watching for more birds, sure enough there are now more.