New Tool/Toy

pop pop

Outpost Armory sent me an add and they had 3 22lr semi auto pistols on sale for the holiday. I purchased the Taurus TX Competitor  for 190.00 off regular price of 459.00. I figured any time one can purchase a handgun new, for about half the price, it might be good. The other brand pistols were  Sigs in 22LR, I think. One with an safety and one without. 

The Taurus is drilled and It has a plate on the top for a red dot sight to be added. Also has 3 dot sight on it. The trigger seems to be good because I snapped it a couple times. Don't favor snapping 22s without ammo in them. I like 22 LR practice because the bigger ones is so expensive to shoot like I once did. I have a Sig Mosquito that has been flawless, and a SW 317 8 shot ultralight 22 Revolver that I have put 1000's of round through both. The Taurus should be a good addition as my 22s are getting most rounds put through them on a regular basis. 

They also had a Federal 22 Lr ammo on sale for 555 rounds for 29.95. My S-I-Law wanted 2 boxes and grandson wanted 2 also. I purchased 8 boxes, which I kept for me.  Haven't had the time to get it outside because my range is wet. Will try it soon, I hope. Rain forecasted for every day this coming week. 

• Like 7

Just took it to the range and fired it. It shoots really fine. Nice trigger and accurate although I didn't put it to paper. Just fired at steel. Think I am going to like it. Too hot to do much outside for now. 

Edited to add; Well worth the 269.00 I paid for it new. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, gary_boom said:

I have a regular TX 22 and like it better than my Ruger 22/45 and S&W 41.

3 hours ago, pop pop said:

Just took it to the range and fired it. It shoots really fine. Nice trigger and accurate although I didn't put it to paper. Just fired at steel. Think I am going to like it. Too hot to do much outside for now. 

Edited to add; Well worth the 269.00 I paid for it new. 

I'm with both of you gentlemen! I completely stopped shooting my  Ruger MKII Target pistol and gave it to my dad. The TX-22 is a whole lot more fun and just as accurate. And so far, mine has not been finicky at all. Love Federal Punch, which I've seen other have an issue with.

• Like 2

Congrats @pop pop!

I am seriously considering purchasing the Compact model, the model with the more rearward plate/RDS placement.

Taurus seems to have done this one right.

I think it'd make an affordable understudy to my Glock 19. Been reading good reviews here and on a couple of other forums.

Being able to dryfire is a plus!

Thanks pop pop!

• Like 1

Agreed. Have spoke on this before. If anyone is interested certain holidays Taurus runs a 20% off, the 4th is one of them it appears. "INDEPENDENCE2023”. 

https://shoptaurus.com/shop-by-model/pistols/taurustx-22/taurustx-22-competition-conversion-kit

Comes out to $160 with free shipping. Mounted a cheap Bushnell dot with the coupon. Now that I’m posting this I realize that I bought the +5 Mag extensions and never installed, they’re buried in the safe somewhere. My best friend and his brother are in town and we’ll be shooting so will organize and find. 

Does anyone have any experience with the magazine extensions? Honestly mine ran so well I didn’t want to change it up I just added it to the cart as an impulse buy the last time I got a 20% off coupon. Have run pretty much all ammo through it and haven’t found a brand it doesn’t like as long as it’s not dirty. It gets a lot of use and once I get a FTF I know it’s time to clean. 

• Like 1

I finally had the opportunity to shoot the "rental" TX22 at my local indoor range. I say "rental" because there isn't a charge due to my membership. I like that, 🙂

The TX22 fits my hand great. The trigger is surprisingly nice with solid reset. The sight picture is clear and crisp even to my old eyes. And I had no difficultly keep all the rounds in the X on the targets I print for Rastoff's Challenge out to 10 yards.

The only problem with this range rental gun was the magazine was for ####! It allow the top round to angle out at >45 degrees...This particular gun fed Federal Gold Medal match .22 fine...not much else. But it was obviously a magazine issue.

I ordered the TX 22 Compact when I returned home. It should be in by the first of next week, or sooner.

Question for the group.

Has anyone run any of the 16 round TX magazines in a Compact? The Compact comes with 13 rounders.

The interwebz and videos seem to demonstrate this is GTG, but thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for all the good info folks.

Happy Birthday America!

Edited by Jamie Jackson
Sorry, Should have edited my language. Apologies.
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Scotty said:

Does anyone have any experience with the magazine extensions? 

I've not tried these, but would be interested in trying. Do you have a link? I didn't see them on the Taurus site.

@Jamie Jackson glad you liked it!  With careful loading, I've not experienced the issue with 45 degree angle.

Honestly, I could see this pistol being a great one for disabled people. The slide is easy to manipulate, and it has plenty of capacity and it's lightweight. It is a .22 and some have issues with that, but I bet there are more .22s carried than any other caliber, if truth be known.

• Like 1

Totally agree on the carrying of .22's my friend. Claude Werner (Tactical Professor) probably has a lot to do with that and it's difficult to argue with his logic and experience.

Oh, it was definitely a worn out range mag on the one I tried. It's amazing it functioned at all with that thing. And the gun looked like it hadn't been cleaned this year! OK, maybe once 😉

• Haha 1

Moped, your correct on issues with the 22 for S D. A lot of people have been killed with the 22 Lr caliber and not many can deny that fact. The rub comes that they are not instant great stoppers. Most die from complications of being shot with a 22 later.  I don't carry 22s for S D, but I would not hesitate if I needed to carry 22lr because of health reasons. The TX I have would be a little large for discrete Concealed Carry, however I supposed one who had a big need could manage that. 

I took my TX out again and am really liking this pistol. Nice trigger, accuracy, feels good in the hand, and really shootable. I would guess this one is going to get a lot of use, after it cools a little. After "maturity", I don't deal with heat quiet as well as I once did. 

Me and "Big Red" are quite comfortable with each other these days. I been doing quite a bit of hunting from B R, on the Outdoor and Sportsmans channel these hot afternoons. "Big Red" is my electric lifting Lazy Boy my wife purchased for me after bypass Surgery as I was unable to lift myself from a laying position shortly after they gutted me. She is small and would have been a large struggle for her to get me up. I slept in that chair for 30 days after surgery. My wife says she thinks I love "Big Red" more than her, sometimes.?????????

Edited to add; I sleep really well with both. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 3

Here’s the link for the mag extensions: https://shoptaurus.com/shop-by-model/pistols/taurustx-22/tandemkross-wingman-5-magazine-bumper-for-taurus-tx22

I will say the factory magazines are a little finicky in the fact that you need to kind of shake them a little at a close to horizontal angle to get them all to line up to feed. It’s second nature for me by now but newer shooters always say “this doesn’t look right”. They also feel super flimsy and cheaply made. Once you get the hang of it it’s a shake and a tap to align the bullets, tap and rack. 

Looking back on it I guess I’ve had this now since spring of 2021, cleaned tops 4 times and it goes out with me every time I shoot. I bought it second hand from my LGS as well. Early reviews commented on issues of the slide cracking or problems with the barrel. This thing has been a workhorse for me though, and glad I got the competition version to have two complete slides. By far gets the most use out of anything with a 10/22 taking second place. Awesome plinkers, good for those who are hesitant to shoot handguns to start on, overall no complaints. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, pop pop said:

Moped, your correct on issues with the 22 for S D. A lot of people have been killed with the 22 Lr caliber and not many can deny that fact. The rub comes that they are not instant great stoppers. Most die from complications of being shot with a 22 later.  I don't carry 22s for S D, but I would not hesitate if I needed to carry 22lr because of health reasons. The TX I have would be a little large for discrete Concealed Carry, however I supposed one who had a big need could manage that.

Obviously not @Moped here, but over the past 40++ years I've cared for patients shot with just about every caliber.

Placement and penetration trump just about everything else.

I'm certainly not saying this would be my preferred caliber by any stretch. As implied, it's a very niche type thing.

People are very unique in how they react to being shot.Like @pop pop said, not a good "Man stopper". But more effective than a harsh word or sharp stick.

I carry a G19 and an LCR in .38 the majority of the time personally. But what Claude (Tactical Professor I mentioned above) talks about is that very niche incident when it's all a person can utilize due to circumstances and primarily as a "Get off me!" tool to break contact. Very specific context.

Apologize for the thread drift on my part.

Really looking forward to receiving and shooting my TX 22 Compact.

Heading to the range to celebrate our Independence! 🙂

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Like 1

Had a S&W Victory which I liked very much.  Don't really shoot .22 handgun that much so when I got my TX22 Comp away went the Victory.

Had a Vortex red dot on hand and it installed and works very nice.  Although I prefer the Holosun red dots if I'm buying one.

Shoots just great.  It is MUCH lighter than the Victory which can be either good or bad depending on the shooter.

Trigger is no where as nice as the Smitty but works great for rapid shots on steel.

Only advice I would give is to load the magazine carefully using the supplied loader.  It is a staggered mag and if you try to  jam rounds in too fast it will cause misalignment and feeding problem.  Trust me, I have experimented enough with mine before deciding to actually follow the instructions.

With the magazine properly loaded it feeds and shoots quite well.  It will go through a Remington bucket of ammo before you know it.

Enjoy!!!

• Like 2

@Scottythe mags do tend to feel flimsy, but they're not under that much strain.  You can easily hold the mag back with your thumb, unlike a lot of other mags that have a thumb stud on them (thinking Ruger MK pistols).  Thanks for the link! I think I will pick up one of these for testing purposes.

You're right @pop pop, these are full sized pistols, but I can conceal one with some of the holsters I have for other 9mm service sized pistols. I think they are about the same size as a Glock 19, but lighter.

For carry by someone that can't really pull back the slide on a centerfire pistol, or handle the recoil, I would think the new compact model, might be ideal.

@Jamie JacksonI'm jealous! I had intended to go to the range today and shoot my new Roscoe (S&W Mdl 10) after I mowed! But I am pooped. Push mowing a steeply sloped yard at 60, is not for the faint of heart!!! 🥵

As for carry, I typically EDC a Ruger Max9 with a CT1550 RDS or a LCP Max. The Max is seeing a lot of carry during the summer! I am thinking seriously about starting to carry a fanny pack so I can get away with carrying the Max9 more often. Being an old man now, I don't really care how it looks. Who am I trying to impress! 😄 

• Like 2

I’m all for team Fanny pack! Am not old. Will 100% give away that you’re carrying to others that carry, but who cares. I’m a smoker, carrying my wallet in the front pocket due to back issues, and between sunglasses, pocket knife or nail clippers and a flash light the Fanny pack just makes sense. Let’s do it! Team Fanny pack. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Definitely a "Team Fanny Pack" guy here.

They were quite normal back in the 1990's, and tend to come and go in use. I still have an older Desantis in my holster box in the basement/reloading area.

I frequently wore one while in scrubs going to and from work even less than 10 years ago. It's amazing how much gear they can hold and how little attention the general public pays them. And pushing 70 no one pays much attention to my attire anyway.

Might have to dig mine out.

+1 to fanny packs!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I’m all for team Fanny pack! Am not old. Will 100% give away that you’re carrying to others that carry, but who cares. I’m a smoker, carrying my wallet in the front pocket due to back issues, and between sunglasses, pocket knife or nail clippers and a flash light the Fanny pack just makes sense. Let’s do it! Team Fanny pack. 

I have no problem with fanny packs if that’s how you roll but leave the nail clippers at home.  Using them things in public is disgusting 

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, Garufa said:

I have no problem with fanny packs if that’s how you roll but leave the nail clippers at home.  Using them things in public is disgusting 

Eh…. Fishing line….

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up my TX 22 Compact on July 7th, ordered through Range USA, Took it inside the indoor range, removed the slide and inspected it, put a bit of Lucas Lube on the rails. I shot 150 rounds of various .22 ammo through it. CCI Minimags, Federal bulk, Remington bulk, Federal Spitfire and CCI Stingers. 100% feed and ignition. Great ergonomics and a surprisingly nice trigger.

I was impressed. My old eyes were challenged with the factory sights, so I ordered a Holosun 407K for it and two 16 round magazines.

A couple of additional range trips after putting some orange paint on the front sight with a total of 1000 rounds through it.

I had one FTF out of a box of 50 Federal Punch. But Caleb Giddings, marketing manager from Taurus, warned this round may have difficulty related to the rather flat bullet profile.

I did have 4 Failure to Fire rounds out of the same box 325 rounds of 2008 Federal Automatch at this point.

I mounted the 407 on 13 July. Really easy mounting, effortless. It only took 12 rounds to have it zeroed at 15 yards.

I like the 6 MOA dot and the window size is decent. No co-wittiness  with the factory sights of course.

Oh, I also purchased 2 of the 16 round mags and they run great.

As I type this I have a total of 1200+ rounds through it.

So 5 Fail to Fire and 1 FTF. To me, that's pretty darn impressive for a .22 RF semiauto.

An extra bonus is that it fits the Dale Fricke Archangel holster I use for AIWB carry for my G19. 🙂

Thanks for the insight and input on this thread.

And the TX series is made to be dry fired by Taurus,

Tx22 compact 1st rounds.jpg

TX 22 RDS 2.jpg

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I picked up my TX 22 Compact on July 7th, ordered through Range USA, Took it inside the indoor range, removed the slide and inspected it, put a bit of Lucas Lube on the rails. I shot 150 rounds of various .22 ammo through it. CCI Minimags, Federal bulk, Remington bulk, Federal Spitfire and CCI Stingers. 100% feed and ignition. Great ergonomics and a surprisingly nice trigger.

I was impressed. My old eyes were challenged with the factory sights, so I ordered a Holosun 407K for it and two 16 round magazines.

I think this just pushed me over the edge to buy one.  I have been eyeballing them as a way to introduce my kids to handguns as they get older.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I think this just pushed me over the edge to buy one.  I have been eyeballing them as a way to introduce my kids to handguns as they get older.

You know David, if someone had asked me 5 years ago whether or not I would recommend a Taurus product I would have said "No". A year ago "Maybe" (I still want to handle a 856 Toro in person). Now?  "Probably".

I'm actually surprised and obviously very pleased with this Tx22 Compact. Especially at it's current price-point.

Give me another week and I hope to have between 2000-2500 rounds through it.

All I'm doing at this point is a quick bore brush with CLP through it after a range session and keeping the slide lubed.

I honestly didn't expect to like it so much. Or that it'd run so well and be so accurate.

Hat's off to Caleb Giddings and the folks at Taurus at this point.

• Like 3

I think this would be a pretty good gun for a young person's introduction.

I wear a medium size or 7 1/2 size surgical glove, so I have smallish hands and the grip girth and trigger reach is fine. Should be for the kids.

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Like 3