I’m interested in getting an old rifle

Agree with Greg.  

Is there a period of history that is of most interest to you? (ie. Civil War, WWI, WWII, Viet Nam, etc.) or just older hunting rifles, etc?

Just to let you know, next Sat/Sunday, the largest Civil War show will be held in Franklin, TN. at the Ag/Expo Ctr just off I-65 at Peytonsville Rd.  There will be everything imaginable there.  You won't find a larger selection, if that era is your thing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/25/2023 at 9:45 AM, gregintenn said:

You might get better advice with just a touch more detail as to what you’re looking for.

Do you have a budget in mind, a range of up to / no more than

21 hours ago, Choatecav said:

Is there a period of history that is of most interest to you? (ie. Civil War, WWI, WWII, Viet Nam, etc.) or just older hunting rifles, etc?

If you're looking for non collectible, non close to perfect:  meaning something you want to / will shoot on occasion, it should open up your choices within your budget.

Good luck on your hunt, I'm curious what you'll end up with.

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • 2 weeks later...

The C&R game was fun about 10 years ago.  You could buy mosin nagants for under $100 all day long and a nice SKS was in the $200-250 range.  There were no other centerfire rifles in those price ranges at the time.  Now the C&R guns have increased in demand to the point that you can buy a new modern rifle for less money.  Modern weapons are a much better/smarter buy for most folks since warranties, available accessories, greater accuracy etc. are the norm.  Plus modern ammo in modern firearms does not have corrosive primers or powders and is overall easier to maintain.  I have not used my C&R license in years and really have no reason to renew it. Years ago the C&R vendors typically sold all ammo to C&R license holders at discounted rates and treated them like a class 1 FFL.  This resulted in 20ish % discounts on ammo and accessories back then too.  There just isn't any incentive left for me to have the C&R license anymore.  

On 11/26/2023 at 4:31 PM, gregintenn said:

I like to wander around a gun show with a pocket full of money. Something will catch your eye.

This is the way.  Just start wandering around gun shows and see what strikes your fancy.

As far as C&R licenses go, look at it this way:  anything older than 50 years is C&R.  Want a Colt 1911 from 1972 or a Smith $ Wesson .44 Magnum from 1971?  Maybe a 1970 Remington 700?  Those examples are all technically C&R now… you just have to find a seller who agrees, lol.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Garufa said:

This is the way.  Just start wandering around gun shows and see what strikes your fancy.

As far as C&R licenses go, look at it this way:  anything older than 50 years is C&R.  Want a Colt 1911 from 1972 or a Smith $ Wesson .44 Magnum from 1971?  Maybe a 1970 Remington 700?  Those examples are all technically C&R now… you just have to find a seller who agrees, lol.

Damn!!!🤬 I’m a curio/relic!

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Responding to this thread as well as all of 2agood's threads may well be a waste of time. Seems he was just a drive by. Registered 11-25, made 11 posts and hasn't been back since. 🙄

That alcohol is something else, ain’t it.😅

17 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Responding to this thread as well as all of 2agood's threads may well be a waste of time. Seems he was just a drive by. Registered 11-25, made 11 posts and hasn't been back since. 🙄

I assume you read the OP.  Makes my eyes twitch and brain hurt.

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 2:32 PM, Mason said:

The C&R game was fun about 10 years ago.  You could buy mosin nagants for under $100 all day long and a nice SKS was in the $200-250 range.  There were no other centerfire rifles in those price ranges at the time.  Now the C&R guns have increased in demand to the point that you can buy a new modern rifle for less money.  Modern weapons are a much better/smarter buy for most folks since warranties, available accessories, greater accuracy etc. are the norm.  Plus modern ammo in modern firearms does not have corrosive primers or powders and is overall easier to maintain.  I have not used my C&R license in years and really have no reason to renew it. Years ago the C&R vendors typically sold all ammo to C&R license holders at discounted rates and treated them like a class 1 FFL.  This resulted in 20ish % discounts on ammo and accessories back then too.  There just isn't any incentive left for me to have the C&R license anymore.  

in my limited experience things have moved from russian surplus to "Mediterranean" surplus I've been seeing old carcanos, Turkish and Spanish Mausers, and Yugoslavian stuff like the m70 go for cheap 

On 12/8/2023 at 7:21 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Still a good thread for info, for the rest of us. I like the old stuff too, just don't see things that are that cheap anymore. I guess I'm still living in the 1990's though. 😄

1 hour ago, Moped said:

Still a good thread for info, for the rest of us. I like the old stuff too, just don't see things that are that cheap anymore. I guess I'm still living in the 1990's though. 😄

No kidding! My M1 carbines were $150 apiece. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago.🙄

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...