Rutherford County Sherriff EDC

I stopped at one of the deputies car parked alongside the road radaring cars. It was a female officer. I asked her what Rutherford County officers carry pistol were and she told me they carry Glock Mdl 17 9 MM. I asked if she knew what ammo she was carrying and she said it was Hornady Critical Duty in 9 MM.  She was knowledgeable and I believe she could shoot. I should have asked if she practiced much but forgot to. 

I ordered me some Hornady Critical Defense 125 Gr ammo for my 357 Mag this morning. Wanted just a few more self-defense rounds for my ED before the "supposed" price increase. My stash is totally complete now. Got my Hornady Critical Defense 38Spl self-defense ammo yesterday.  Didn't purchase the Hornady brand because the Deputy was using it, just likw Hornady. They manufacture excellent self-defense ammo period.  Really liked Corbon DPX but they have changed that ammo since the new owners did a hostile takeover of that company. 

What brand ammo do your guys use in your EDC's?  

• Like 2

When I was working as a LEO. We used a variety of ammunition Winchester Ranger. Hornaday.  Speer  the department would change ammo out completely within a two year period. Whatever company that gave the best price and pitch I have always been a fan of Cor-Bon  and Hornaday 

It seems Hornady is one of the very few ammo brands that one can radially purchase about anywhere now. I was at Acadamy Sports, in Smyrna TN, a week ago and the only S D ammo on the shelf was Hornady for 9 MM or 38 Spl.  

By the way purchased a pair of Vortex Diamondback digital binoculars. Real clear and small. They were 8X42's.  Bird watching you know? Wife and I viewed a Kestral, in our back yard last week, for the first time. That bird is a Hawk like bird about 12" tall and very pretty. He was eating a full-grown black grackle B bird. It actually flew off carrying the B B so it was a strong flyer. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1

I carry Hornady Critical Defense as my standard load in just about every pistol I use for self defense. Only exception is my S&W Governor. If I remember correctly, in that I have some Winchester PDX1 Defender shot shells.

• Like 1

@BigK and I spent some time looking over a ballistics test by Lucky Gunner several years ago. Man this was some cool data. Likewise it was surprising how poorly some of the defense rounds performed.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

What you really want is down near the bottom where you can see the testing. If you click on the name of the ammo,you can see all the stats and a video of it hitting the gel. Not sure if they have a newer version of this or not, but i'm willing to bet that a lot of this is still accurate.

check out this Barnes TAC-XPD +P. It expands to almost 3/4" and didn't over-penetrate!!!
https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-luger-p-115gr-barnes-tac-xpd-hp-20#geltest

Edited by NoBanStan

NoBanStan, the Barnes is an all copper bullet. I like copper bullets and that is what is in the Corbon DPX. At one time, the older DPX bullets had the Barnes XP bullet in their ammo. Don't know about today because there has been a changeover, in management, at Corbon. My EDC had 357 Corbon DPX in it now. When I use all the DPX I have on hand I plan to go to Hornady Critical Defense.  Got 6 boxes on order in 357 Mag. The Hornady is a little hotter than the DPX, IMO. 

• Like 1

Hornady critical duty in my 9mm. Federal Hydra-shok in my .45s. Would use 125g SJHP in my 357 if I could find any. I have 230g XTP bullets to load for zeroing at the range to closely mimic the Hydra-shok load.