Rock Island Armory 1911 10mm

I had a RIA 10mm, and I want another one. It was a very reliable range toy.  I would have no concerns with depending on it for defense. I probably put 10 times the 40s&w rounds through it than I did the 10mm. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I love my RIA 9mm. Been wanting a 10.  Might be brave enough to try a double stack version. I hear the doubles can be a bit finicky. 

Both of mine are the 10mm DS. The Rock Ultra HC is the base model and the overall quality is mediocre. Mine had minor imperfections in the feed ramp of the barrel that needed clean up and whatever coating they use gets scratched just by looking at it. The TAC Ultra HC is a huge improvement all around. Better coating, better machine work, better quality all around. As far as performance, I haven't gotten around to shooting it yet so the jury is still out there but she looks like she means business. 

Unlike when they came out, their prices have come down and have a pretty modest difference between them ($545.17 vs $617.58) so for the extra $72.39, I'd get the TAC Ultra HC and not look back. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I ordered one on these today. https://www.defensedepot.com/product/rock-island-52009-rock-ultra-fshc-10mm-auto-5-161-black-parkerized-black-g10-grip

$453.81 total. Hard to believe the price.  I like the layout of this one. Thought about the “Tac” but didn’t really like the looks of a rail on a 1911 and would probably never use it. Same goes for the threaded barrel, would never put a suppresser on it so again pointless . Wouldn’t mind having the front groves but again would probably never use them anyway. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I ordered one on these today. https://www.defensedepot.com/product/rock-island-52009-rock-ultra-fshc-10mm-auto-5-161-black-parkerized-black-g10-grip

$453.81 total. Hard to believe the price.  I like the layout of this one. Thought about the “Tac” but didn’t really like the looks of a rail on a 1911 and would probably never use it. Same goes for the threaded barrel, would never put a suppresser on it so again pointless . Wouldn’t mind having the front groves but again would probably never use them anyway. 

That's a very good price-

6 hours ago, krunchnik said:

That's a very good price-

Extremely tempting!!! I'd be prone to shoot 40 in it though. Have a bunch of 40, but no Big 10.

Wish it were the upgraded version though. Maybe anyway. lol

I’ve read some say not good to run 40 through it. 40 having a shorter case can cause throat erosion? But people do the same thing with a 357 revolver all the time using 38. ???

9 hours ago, hipower said:

Extremely tempting!!! I'd be prone to shoot 40 in it though. Have a bunch of 40, but no Big 10.

Wish it were the upgraded version though. Maybe anyway. lol

RIA does make a .40S&W barrel for that 1911-

I was tempted at one time to buy and try but since have rid all of my .40 ammo-

On 4/27/2024 at 7:06 PM, Gurn said:

That place has the best prices I've seen anywhere lately. I've been using Grabagun, but Defense Depot seems to be 10-15% less than Grabagun, which makes the store prices seem outrageous. 

I have the Ultra HC 10mm 16 round.  As some said above, it took some work to get it running more or less reliably.  Lots of FTFs out of the box.  After about 500 rounds and polishing the ramp/chamber repeatedly, it will finally run American Eagle 10mm reliably, but for some reason, other brands still give it problems, but to a lesser extent than before, even after 1,000+ rounds.

If I had to do over again, probably wouldn't buy it based only on my experience.

While I have long been interested in getting a 10mm pistol ever since a saw and handled a Colt Delta Elite many years ago, the costs involved, especially the costs of ammo, plus the fact I don’t need another caliber have discouraged me.  But my friend told me he decided he doesn’t want this gun and is giving it to me.  Soooo, I’ll be on the hunt for ammo after I examine the gun and determine if it’s in good working order or can be put that way with my limited knowledge/abilities, then start looking for ammo.  Seeing the experiences/advice from those on here, I most likely wouldn’t have gotten into 10mm, and if I did, not a Rock Island  10mm, but for free?  I’m in. 

Magiznes play a big part in all guns and so does proper lubricant of the gun. When you get the gun from your friend inspect that feed ramp he "polished" to make sure the feed ramp angle hasn't changed. Dremel tool can be both your friend and your worst enemy to use if you don't pay attention or know what your doing when using them. I've had to replace a couple of barrels on a couple of used 45acp's one was my fault, the other two were ruined by the previous owner do to the miss use of a dremel tool. Ditch the motor oil for lubricant and get some synthetic transmission fluid for lube, I've used that for years on my ar's and semi aouto shotguns, and my 1911's and 2011's works great, make sure to lube the barrel hood and lock up lugs. And buy another brand of mag like the video said and test it against the factory mag. and see.

• Like 1

My friend hasn’t fired this, he just doesn’t like it.  Not sure what, if anything, his dad did to it before he gave it to him, heck, it may be unfired. He lives across the state from me, so I have to wait til he comes this way for work sometime before I get it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Defender said:

My friend hasn’t fired this, he just doesn’t like it.  Not sure what, if anything, his dad did to it before he gave it to him, heck, it may be unfired. He lives across the state from me, so I have to wait til he comes this way for work sometime before I get it.

So, maybe I'm missing something, but he hasn't even fired it and doesn't like it??  It's just based on what his dad did to it??

• Like 1