Apraisal for Navy Colt Revolver 1850's??

My Father-inlaw has a Navy Colt Revolver he aquired 50 years or so ago. It functions and seems to have all matching numbers but has quit a bit of surface rust on it. He's wanting to know what it's worth. I told him he needed to get it apraised and he just snickered and put it back in the safe. I don't see him taking the time to do anything at this point except let it sit in the safe. Which bring me to my question.

In the E. TN area (preferably) who/where is an apraiser. If someone has had a good experiance with someone let me know. I searched this area of the forum and only found 1 number and of course Goodletts (I think). If I have to drive accross TN, I will. The ammount needing to be paid for the appraisal doesn't matter to me, as long as the person has a decent reputation and didn't start his job last week. :P

Thanks guys.

8/18 Pics added

Relics045.jpg

Relics044.jpg

The number 26360 can be found in 5 places on the pistol. 1 on the cylinder and 4 on the bottom in different places or parts of the pistol

Relics055.jpg

Relics056.jpg

Relics057.jpg

On the cylinder are the words:

Colts Patent No26360

Below the above on the cylinder:

Pat Sept 10 (after that it lookes like a small #17 underscored) 1850

Placed under the 1850 in cocked letters are "BB"

Relics052.jpg

Relics053.jpg

On the wooden handle is a very faint "BB" carved in cursive.

Relics054.jpg

Edited by kwe45919
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just buy a copy of Flayderman's Antique Gun Guide and look in there.They have detailed pictures of all grades of condition and the values listed for all Antique models as well.

That's already been done. Unfortunatly, that bears no meaning to an insurance company. If it's valuable enough to insure, we need the papers proving it......:rolleyes:

That's already been done. Unfortunatly, that bears no meaning to an insurance company. If it's valuable enough to insure, we need the papers proving it......:rolleyes:

I take it the Flayderman's Guide leads you to believe it's worth insuring? Have any pictures?

No pics. It's my father-in laws pistol. Guess we need to take some anyways for the insurance company so I'll see if I can't get some snapped soon. It's got surface rust on it but everything works fine. The powder handle, the cylinder, trigger, hammer, everything is functional. I wouldn't say it's ready to actually be loaded up, packed and shot, but it will function while dry firing. (no we don't dry fire it all the time) Nothings broke or heavily marred and looks like all the # match.....so it may be worth something. That's what we need to find out....;)

Guest 70below

Ok....ok..... You talked me into it...... I'll give you $50 for it ;)

I'll try and remember on monday, a guy I work with told me his father used someone fairly recently to detail clean and appraise a luger. I'll try and see who he used. I don't know what the specifics where on that luger, but supposedly the guy offered him 10K for it if it didn't leave the shop.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 70below

Thats one beautiful pistol. I've always wanted one. Seeing the pics reminds me I was going to ask a friend at work who his dad has used in the past.

You know I could be wrong, but to me from the pics I see I believe it to be an 1860 Navy. The 51 and 61 were 36 cal. The 61 had a short life because of the popularity of the 51 and it had little advantage to changing. The 60 however was a large step up in caliber and the stepped cylinder leads me to believe that is what it is. If that is what it is prices range from $1200 to $12-15k. There were approx 200k made.

Unfortunately I do not know a knowledgeable Colt collector in the Kville area. One of the nation's most knowledgable lives just outside of Nashville. If worse comes to worse head to the Louisville Gun Show in Sept.

National Gun Day.Com website - The best gun shows!

I can guarantee you, you will find someone there who will know all about the gun and could appraise it.

My Father-inlaw has a Navy Colt Revolver he aquired 50 years or so ago. It functions and seems to have all matching numbers but has quit a bit of surface rust on it. He's wanting to know what it's worth. I told him he needed to get it apraised and he just snickered and put it back in the safe. I don't see him taking the time to do anything at this point except let it sit in the safe. Which bring me to my question.

In the E. TN area (preferably) who/where is an apraiser. If someone has had a good experiance with someone let me know. I searched this area of the forum and only found 1 number and of course Goodletts (I think). If I have to drive accross TN, I will. The ammount needing to be paid for the appraisal doesn't matter to me, as long as the person has a decent reputation and didn't start his job last week. :confused:

Thanks guys.

8/18 Pics added

The number 26360 can be found in 5 places on the pistol. 1 on the cylinder and 4 on the bottom in different places or parts of the pistol

On the cylinder are the words:

Colts Patent No26360

Below the above on the cylinder:

Pat Sept 10 (after that it lookes like a small #17 underscored) 1850

Placed under the 1850 in cocked letters are "BB"

On the wooden handle is a very faint "BB" carved in cursive.

You may want to give these guys a shout. They are the premere colt guys in the country. Cherry's Fine Guns Home Page Commemorative Firearms

Hope this helps,

LEROY

Thanks for the replies guys. I've had several people look at pics and check it out "hands on". The average range it seems to be valued at is around $5000. Good enough for me. I've been given some great advice on how to take care of it a preserve it further for future generations.

Thanks for all the help guys......:)

• 1 year later...
are you a moderator? Either lock the thread or show some class, geez

The kind of class you show? I think I have acheived that level and more there Mike. If you would like to discuss it further in PMs you can feel free. Otherwise I suggest cutting it out.

it's not an 1851 navy. looks like an 1860 Army. is it 44 cal?

it's cut for the shoulder stock...does it have the hole in the grip for the "latch"??

I would bet it is a .44. It has a ton of surface rust but if it is a real relic it is probably worth some cash. If it was mine I would have to shoot it, LOL

I would bet it is a .44. It has a ton of surface rust but if it is a real relic it is probably worth some cash. If it was mine I would have to shoot it, LOL
I'd have to shoot it too. I'd like to look at it. there are some telltale signs that show up on fakes. I'd hate to find out it was...it's pretty...I still thinks it's an Army. Navys' were .36

cal.