• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first was a Colt Commander.

If it aint a pony it's a phoney:D

I agree with Motasyco, I like 1911's.

+1

You cant go wrong on any hand gun with a pony on it!!

I love 1911s too. I have a Springfield and it shoots great. Look at your pennys and decide what you can afford. Then select the best 1911 in that price range.

From reading around here, if I were looking for a pistol under $500, I'd go with a Rock Island. But I've never shot one, so I don't know. The ones I've handled feel like a 1911 ought to feel. The only thing I'd knock them on is it seems everyone I've ever picked up had loose grips. Don't have a clue why. Of course that's the first thing most people change out.

1911's are going to get modefied, sooner or later, so get one that can be modefied. SA GI's and Milspecs are a pain and need some cutting and grinding for certain parts to fit. for little money I like the Rock Island Armory Tactial model part number 51431, it is a very good start. for over $700 I like the Kimber Tactical II 80 series but hey they are good guns.

Guest jackdm3

"The colts are great but then I never saw a 1911 I didn't like. They're all good just some better than others. "

Yeah, but even a Llama?

There's got to be a line drawn somewhere.

I just bought my first 1911 a few months ago a Dan Wesson bobtail. After some research I felt that it had the most features that I was looking for in my price range. I've been very satisfied and carry it often.

2nd that....if you plan on carrying it as I did/and do get a used one that way you can save a little money and not worry about "marring the finish".

Guest TurboniumOxide

By the time I decided, I had saved enough to get a nice full size kimber stainless II with crimson trace grips. It is now my favorite gun in the safe. I still want a Tactical RIA though. I have a serious .45ACP habit. My glock 36 is starving, because the kimber gets the good noms. I need an intervention.

Guest redbarron06
<=$600 I 'd be looking for a Para GI Expert. =>$600 Colt. Unless you want to spend a couple large, of course. :stare:

I used to be a big para fan but after my latest experience I would avoid them like they had the swine flu. They have had my slide now for more than 6 weeks just to put some night sights in. I have called the service center at least 4 times and they keep telling me that they dont know when they will get some more. I sent an email to the corp offce and they replied with only one line.

"Thank you for your pateince"

I'll never get another para or reccommend one to anybody.

My first and only 1911 was a RIA compact that I bought LNIB from the other site for $350, 600 rounds through it no problems of any kind, I put Houge rubber grips on it and just got it back from the gunsmith the other day with new sights, took it to the range yesterday to try and first shot was a bullseye!!! I great low dollar starter 1911 IMO!!! COOP

My first and only 1911 was a RIA compact that I bought LNIB from the other site for $350, 600 rounds through it no problems of any kind, I put Houge rubber grips on it and just got it back from the gunsmith the other day with new sights, took it to the range yesterday to try and first shot was a bullseye!!! I great low dollar starter 1911 IMO!!! COOP

You often hear people bashing the RIA as cheap junk but you never hear anyone that has one say anything bad about them. You can buy one cheap as a starter and build it into your dream gun.

What is your budget?

1. Around $500.

2. Around a Grand.

3. I don’t care as long as someone’s name is on it.

What will it be used for?

1. Primarily a carry gun, secondary as a target gun.

2. Primarily a target gun, secondary as a carry gun.

3. Home protection and target gun.

4. Bragging rights.

Do you have experience with a 1911?