was at a class tonight

my82cam

i was at an AC class tonight for my work...... first thing i thought was funny...i see a red laser flash across the room and than here it goes again....i quickly turn around and scan the room to see where the threat is coming from(i just knew someone had a gun with a laser on it....funny how your mind thinks) it was the teacher trying to get his pointer to work. lol second thing that got me thinking, a guy was carrying a glock 23 open carry, shirt tucked in and just right there for all to see. i don't agree with open carry in public and was trying to think of the plus side of open carry. anybody have any, i can't think of any good ones really. i was tired and didn't feel like asking him why he did. i just carried my G27 and know body knew.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be a lot of debate about this. I don't advocate open carry either but I did it for the first time this past weekend in the Smokies while I was hiking. I had only positive experiences from it. One guy even talked guns with me for a long time. However, for most places open carry is a bad idea because it just draws unnecessary attention. Only advantage I can think of would be a quicker draw perhaps.

I do not get the least bit upset or scared when I see someone open carry. In fact I think it is good some people do! I don't open carry as I am concerned about getting hassled and if something were to go down I would be the first target, but I do think about it and someday I might.

A good thing about open carry: it helps to acclimate the sheeple to the fact that people can and do carry responsibly. Yes, the sheeple get scared but hopefully later after their emotions have subsided (for some this never happens) they calm down enough to think logically (for many this is impossible) and they realize the shoot out at the Wally World corral did not materialize and that everyone but them remained calm at the sight of a gun!!!! And hopefully over time they begin to realize guns do not kill people, but people kill people with all sorts of various weapons.

Invite someone who is not familiar with guns to shoot and especially invite someone who leans towards the anti-gun crowd to shoot. You just might enlighten and ignorant person to their liberty.

Guest Bronker
There will be a lot of debate about this...

Oh yeah. Everyone chimes in. No one wins. No one loses.

I could care less. I don't do it. My choice.

Do what you want :ugh:

I carry concealed for the same reason that I carry at all. People are crazy and I have no idea what someone might do. I would rather have that "ace in the hole" than show my whole hand from the outset. I don't feel the need to make any kind of political statement or sway someone's opinion when I carry. If someone else does then good on them, I carry for my safety and the safety of my family.

I would rather have that "ace in the hole" than show my whole hand from the outset.

Amen.

I have never gotten upset when I see guys OC'ing but I believe that would depend on where and how they were exercising their right to OC. For example, our former member here has recently been documented OC'ing in a couple of different ways that would have put me on a higher alert had I been in his vicinity but he didn't break any laws.

I carry concealed but I do wonder if everyone open carried if that would make criminals think twice

It could. Or we could see a rise in people's guns being snatched from them and used against them and others, thus fueling the anti's agenda. Where would we be then? It's a personal choice, everyone needs to carry the way they feel most comfortable.

Probably the best argument in favor of open carry is that it teaches people that 'guns' are not evil. TN has no registration, but think about how often you see a question about registration on this board. This is a result of TV and movies making everyone think that registration is normal. The same is true of carrying a firearm. When you see a pistol on someone's hip, the first thought that runs through your mind is that the person is law enforcement of some kind. The thought of non-LE carrying of firearms gets many people upset. So, open-carrying is useful to change this perception.

That said, from a personal viewpoint, I rarely open carry. I feel that concealed carry gives me a tactical advantage in the event I may need to use my weapon. The only times I carry openly is when I am going to a shooting event or other place where I would have the weapon in a holster anyway.

There will be a lot of debate about this. I don't advocate open carry either but I did it for the first time this past weekend in the Smokies while I was hiking. I had only positive experiences from it. One guy even talked guns with me for a long time. However, for most places open carry is a bad idea because it just draws unnecessary attention. Only advantage I can think of would be a quicker draw perhaps.

I open carried for the first time this weekend also. I had been running around town with my jacket on and was burning up in all the stores. So when I hit the grocery store, I ditched the jacket. Nobody noticed. At least not that I could tell.

The quicker draw is only marginal. At CIS' Advanced Concealed Carry class they timed us. From the buzzer on the shot timer to 3 shots placed in critical areas, including proper draw, my time was something like 1.7 seconds.

I'm an advocate of carry. Open or concealed is your choice.

i was at an AC class tonight

I didn't take the time to read all replies, I don't have a problem with oc but I don't do it. I sometimes use a blackhawk serpa but its always covered up for the most part. I quoted that specific statement to ask this... are you sure he wasn't a LEO, I mean most organizations I'm familiar with require officers to take armorers courses for the firearms they use? My cousin was gone to one this past weekend for some new ar15's his dept purchased, and he mentioned he had to recert for the glock and something else soon.

I didn't take the time to read all replies, I don't have a problem with oc but I don't do it. I sometimes use a blackhawk serpa but its always covered up for the most part. I quoted that specific statement to ask this... are you sure he wasn't a LEO, I mean most organizations I'm familiar with require officers to take armorers courses for the firearms they use? My cousin was gone to one this past weekend for some new ar15's his dept purchased, and he mentioned he had to recert for the glock and something else soon.

AC= Air Conditioning, I'll bet. :P

I usually dont OC but the main reason I dont is so that if I need to go somewhere that is improperly posted or (waiting for everyone to bash on me) some where that is properly posted but not othewise prohibited by law(school, federal building, etc.) I can. Concealed is concealed. I would feel much more comfortable OC'ing in a more rural area than in town.

I have never gotten upset when I see guys OC'ing but I believe that would depend on where and how they were exercising their right to OC.

Well, I have gotten upset on occasion at guys OC'ing when it is pretty obvious that they were OC'ing for all the wrong reasons (i.e. - to draw attention to themselves).

I have seen/known/observed folks OC'ing and it strikes me as almost kind of a "I was picked on in school, and nobody really takes me seriously, and now, by damn, I'm getting my respect !!" attitude or approach.

For the record, I am NOT talking about all OC proponents, but I bet you know in your heart some of the same type of people I mention.

I've found that the less people know about me and the less attention I draw to myself, the better off I am. I find this true in almost all aspects of life; not just carying a gun.

+ 1 and see my above remarks.............................

How can a person go shopping for clothes or groceries or anything OC unless it's a shoulder holster.I mean I wouldn't feel comfortable with a gun at 3 or 4 o'clock with my back turned to everyone while I look at a shirt or grab a dozen eggs.

I OC at home,at the ranch,that's it. If it makes you feel good have at it.

I carry on my belt and do try to cover it with a shirt are a jacket. sometimes it jumps out to catch a look around and if someone sees it I don't care. the only time it bothered me was when some little girl saw it and said look daddy the FAT man has a gun.