Just got done painting my gun

so i decided to color in the etchings on my gun and instead of using crayons i used nail polish instead. i with with a color called Twilight by Petites found at Walmart. I wanted something that was somewhat noticeable but wouldnt stand out like a sore thumb. in real life it gives it almost a ghost flame look.

2dvr1ap.jpg

2hdcrkk.jpg

2damuf7.jpg

211ns6h.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like it, sometimes the crayon method really stands out, more so when you see than in pictures.

I guess i like the crayon method on the M&P 15-22 because it is a bit toyish to begin with, but on the XD the nail polish looks pretty darn good.

nice job!

Guest BEARMAN
ok, what am I missing? are you talking about coloring the letters/insignia's? Maybe I missed something...

Yes, explain it in further detail, please.

I haven't seen it done like that either, always thought they just came that way from the factory.

What keeps it from coming off, when you clean your gun?

Yes, explain it in further detail, please.

I haven't seen it done like that either, always thought they just came that way from the factory.

What keeps it from coming off, when you clean your gun?

The old trick was to use a crayon. Works great for safe queens but not for carry. While this way works, when you get solovents/cleaners.degreasers on it, you have to redo it as it's only wax.

With the nail polish, it has the possibility of lasting longer than the wax but many have said with general use and abuse, you'll still have to touch it up regularly. Not quite as bad as crayon but looks a helluva lot better. I've seen red, blue, white, silver, pink, yellow....hell, every color under the sun used on everything from AR's to .22LR's........I remember someone took an old 1911A1 and had the lettering airbrushed gold with a silver outline. The slide was black. Looked good actually...doubt it lasted long with use.....:D

yeah i used a fingernail polish of a metallic silver called Twilight from Walmart

i applied it and let sit for 30-45sec then used a papertowl dipped in acetone free nail polish remover and went over to remove the residue

i then took newspaper and did the same thing again as to clean up further and the newspaper wont dig into the engravings and pull it out.

it comes from the factory all black.

people use crayons but i find that cleaning removes it and if you shoot it a lot and the slide gets hot enough it could melt the wax so thats why i used nail polish

Guest BEARMAN

Thanks for the tip, GGP2JZ. I think i'll try that procedure on my mil spec Springer.

BTW, you did a fine job on your pistol, looks very good.

Guest 10mm4me

I did my G19 w/white spray paint. It is way more durable than nail polish or crayon and will come off with a scrub brush and degreaser.

Instructions:

1. Apply degreaser to a Q-tip & wipe area to be highlighted thoroughly.

2.Wipe dry, apply paint to Q-tip, rub over entire area filling in the recesses, don't worry about getting extra on the surface.

3. Let dry for 5 min.

4. Apply rem-oil or any gun lube to a Q-tip and wipe areas good, this will remove the excess while leaving the paint in the recess. Wipe dry and enjoy a cool looking, easy to do, mod to your piece.

Never considered, or even seen, this before. I've used nail polish, chalk and model paint on sights but never considered putting makeup on my pistols. BUT... I can see how a an affordable mod would appeal to alot of people. I will try the nail polish method on my Saiga's safety designators. Used to use chalk on my AR, before I turned to the dark side, so I could monitor others shooting it.

"This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine, the one with the midnight blue lettering..." :death:

Here are the results of Forsters gold fill kit on my M&P40...

M&P1024.jpg

It uses brass powder and a hardener that took a little experimentation to get right, but it wasn't too bad. I'm happy with the results and it holds up to use and cleanings well.

Thanks! It's my favorite pic of the ones I took of it, but have some more here if interested...

http://www.ohmtown.net/hippy/pistol/

I tried wax first to see if I would even like anything in the inlays, but after the first range visit sporting the new colors a splatter of molten Brick Red Crayon let me know pretty quick that wax wasn't the way to go. I like the color options nail polish would seem to offer - let us know how it holds up.

• 2 weeks later...