Macon County Fair experience

Our county fair is this week, and today was the day for entries in the fair competitions. As I went to help a neighbor carry a huge pumpkin there for the competition, I thought I'd bring along a piece of my leatherwork and enter it in the crafts competition while I was there. I had a plastic toy revolver that fit it perfectly, so I put it in the holster because it didn't look right empty. When I got there, the ladies recording entries were not impressed. One even suggest she wasn't sure anything like that would be allowed. This is Macon County for goodness sake! Boy have things changed since I was a child.

IMG_1004.jpg

Here's what I entered, except the real Model 29 was replaced with a plastic copy. I can already see I won't do any good, but I was proud of it. Perhaps it will get me some business anyway. I never dreamed anyone in my hometown would take that type of attitude about guns and gun related gear. I guess the years of the media constantly beating their anti gun drum have taken their toll everywhere.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That a nice setup but that's bad to hear. I can remember the days of riding around up there with a rifle rack in the back window of my truck and not a word being said. Heck I wasn't even 18 then either.

Looks good, Greg!

I'd have voted for it :eek:

Too bad we have folks like that. They have a "classifieds" radio show on 102.3 down here, and a guy called in to sell two rifles, and the hosts were like "errrr. . . . .uhhhhh . . I don't know if that's ok".

They finally let him run his ad, and he had more calls requesting his number than the other sellers, even the guy selling his 50cc scooter. :D

Congratulations

Maybe the lady checking it in just could not believe it was hand made because of the quality of the craftsmanship.

I try to see the good in people, I really do, but sometimes I have to stretch space and time to do it.

I try to see the good in people, I really do, but sometimes I have to stretch space and time to do it.

I don't believe there is very much "bad" in people. Most of it boils down to ignorance and apathy. I don't think the lady meant any harm, she just seemed very uncomfortable.

.....and my neighbor won the largest pumpkin,,,,109 lbs.:up:

Any chance you could get me some seeds from a monster Pumpkin like that or would it even matter?

I wonder if the seeds would contribute to grewing bigger pumpkins or if it just has more to to do with the carry and fertilizer they get?

Any chance you could get me some seeds from a monster Pumpkin like that or would it even matter?

I wonder if the seeds would contribute to grewing bigger pumpkins or if it just has more to to do with the carry and fertilizer they get?

I probaly could, but he just bought giant pumpkin seeds at the store. He had a miracle grow drip set up for it, had a shed built over it, and pulled off all the blooms after the pumpkin began to grow. If they are a hybrid, then I doubt the seeds from it would do any good. I don't know if they are hybrid or not.