So I am getting rid of my Glock

I think it is time.

I had purchased it because that is what I used overses when I was working. I wanted to carry the same firearm when home as when overseas to prevent any muscle memory confusion. Now that it is apparent I will probably not go back overseas for work because of a helicopter accident I am looking for something to replace my G17 as my primary carry gun.

I like the Glock for its reliability but in all honesty I do not like the trigger as well as the feel of the gun in my hands. I am a decent shot with most guns including the Glock but I can shoot better with most other platforms. I believe the reason for this is in the trigger.

I know I can lighten the trigger but that only addresses one issue I have. There are a few other issues as well. It doesn't feel right in my hand is one and another is the fact I would like to shoot reload using the cheapest bullets I can to practice, ie cast lead. Again I can fix it with a new barrel but I don't want to put any more money into a gun I can't shoot as well as others and doesn't feel as comfortable in my hands.

I sold a 1911 to fund the purchase of the Glock. I have carried a 1911 on and off for years. I feel comfortable with cocked and locked carry. Because of this I think I will go back to a 1911.

I am setup to load 45 ACP as well as 9mm and honestly a 1911 in 9mm has intrigued me for a while. I like the reduced recoil as well as the extra rounds but I am not dead set on a 1911 in 9mm. I have other guns in each caliber so I will continue to reload for each.

Other than 1911 what other full size platforms in 45 ACP and 9mm should I consider purchasing as a Glock replacement? I am undecided on gun as well as caliber but I want to stay way from a DAO or striker if possible.

This thread is not a thread trying to sell my Glock here. I will not respond to "How much" PM's. I am just trying to feel out the waters for anything other than a 1911.

Thanks

Dolomite

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hk P30... bar none the slickest thing I've put my hands on in years. If you haven't held, or shot one... you should do yourself a favor and do so before committing to anything else.

I bought one recently, and I'm a glock guy... my glocks are jealous, and are making less frequent appearances in my range bag.

You have more than a few options to choose from now... variants with or without safety, standard or "longslide," LEM or standard SA/DA. 9mm or 40 cal. If you are stuck on 45acp, then check out the HK45.

Anyone carry the Taurus 24/7"

I like the features as well as the long 5.25" barrel to squeeze a little more velocity out of it. Plus 12 rounds of 45 ACP is a plus.

Dolomite

I carried a 24/7 Compact. 3.3" barrel I believe. I sold it to another TGO'er and have regretted it since. Here is the skinny

Pros: loved the trigger, rubber grips were very nice, high capacity mags(17+1) and it was flawless through 500 rounds.

Cons: it was not very accurate, like.....at all. This was basically the only reason I sold it. However I wish I had kept it around as a camping gun or truck gun.

Hope this helps!

Guest coldblackwind

Given my experience, I have 2 glocks, a sig P6 (single stack version of the 226), 2 1911's, a beretta 92FS, and an HK ups .40 compact that would all fall into the area of 9mm/.45 (provided you got the hk in a different caliber). I usually carry either a snubnose .38, or a glock 30, but if I had to pick from the others, I would go either 1911, HK, or sig. These are the ones I have found to fit me best, be the most accurate, and the most reliable.

You might want to check out the CZ75, CZ85, or CZ P01. Excellent ergonomics, reliability, accuracy, and durability. And since you seem to like single-action pistols, you might want to look at the Browning High Power. 13+1 rds from factory mags, and an unbeatable reputation. The current Argentine ones are good quality, lacking only a decent finish. Add an extended safety and slide release and you will feel right at home.

My pusher put a Kimber in my hand and I now have 2 3 inch, a 4 inch and 2 5 inch models and the Glocks are in the safe. I am waiting for a specific configuration in 4 inch so I can have a six pack. My wife loves her Sig P239 in 40 but I am trying to get her to shoot a Crimson Ultra Carry II. I heard good things about the Sig P220 and being a Sig fan I am buying one soon.

Guest Bronker
I was gonna say... don't forget to fondle a CZ before you buy. I really like my P01 (9mm), and you're not giving up any reliability.

:popcorn:

Have had a couple of CZ75 variants and currently own...and adore...the SP-01 Phantom.

Very smooth shooter, and by far and away the most accurate pistol I own.

My first choice would be to go back to the 1911, a Commander or Officer model. Not sure what you're going to find there in 9mm, and quite honestly I don't know that I would trust a 9mm 1911 for carry. I'd stick with the .45 acp. If you're really wanting 9mm, I'd look at the Baretta M9.

Guest jimothy

You may want to opt for a Glock "SF" (slim frame)

Im waiting on my G20 SF much nicer feel....

I'm not that great with a handgun just yet, I mostly shoot rifles, but I do alright with my Wife's G26 and I love that 33 round clip!

I had some fun shooting up a dvr box, wonder if I can get tech support on it now that it's mostly holes LOL

I picked up a nice Colt Compact 1991A1 in 45 ACP. It came with 1 factory mag and 2 MecGar mags. It also came with about 50 rounds of ammo and a cheap holster. It is wearing Hogue finger groove grips that will be gone soon. If I don't find any at the show tomorrow then I will be ordering them as soon as I get home. I am wanting slim line grips. I am also going to look for a decent OWB holster. I didn't really look today because I hadn't bought the pistol until after I left the show.

I appreciate everyone's recommendations

Dolomite