Will anyone admit to..............

bayouvol

Will anyone admit to carrying a Hipoint for a concealed carry weapon? Even just one time? I have shot one and it was as accurate as any other pistol I shot that day. I know most people on here have better guns but is there anyone who has carried a hipoint for self defense?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in this thread.. I wonder how long it will take this to become a HiPoint bash fest? I'll say this: If I could afford nothing easier to carry (note I didn't say "better"), I'd carry one. I would have no problem with using one for range plinking or even a car/truck gun.

I've shot two HiPoints and they both launched lead projectiles at the target with reasonable accuracy. I actually kind of want one of the 995 carbines in 9mm (or 45ACP if they're ever released).

Guest mikedwood

I have owned one and never could get it to feed more than 3 rounds. I think it was the mag and I wasn't willing to pay for a mag on a $100 gun. Anyway had the mag worked I wouldn't have had a problem trusting it. It was certainly accurate enough and trigger was OK. I actually love the sights on them.

EXCEPT the weight of those things is HEAVY! The .45 full of .45 ammo is a weight set for Hans and Franz. Even the C9 loaded would be quite a load for the rest of the day in about an hour. That's why I like the G26 I guess. It's just light enough where I can carry it all day long and forget it's there most of the time. My Sig P220 I'm ready to take it off about 4 pm.

I was joking with Phantom6 at his store when I was helping him put up the Hipoints for closing that we should make a HiPoint workout video "Sweating with the Bullets" Two Hi-point .45's and the work out DVD for $349. What a deal!

I wouldn't mind having a carbine. However the pistols are too ugly for me to ever get past. I don't care how good of a reputation they have for accuracy and ruggedness. They are just too buggered ugly.

It took me over a year of contemplating and then another year of owning to get over how ugly a Glock is. I don't think I could get to the point of liking a Hi Point pistol.

Guest Broomhead

I will admit that I do own and, up until recently, have carried a HiPoint C9 as my CCW. I have put well over 5K rounds through it and trust my life to it. They aren't pretty, they aren't light, but they are damn accurate, reliable, and inexpensive. Plus they have THE best customer service in the business, not to even mention the no-questions-asked, any owner warranty.

BTW, the 4595 (.45ACP carbine) has been released.

I have HP C9, but wouldn't think of carrying it.

Not so much because I doubt it would do the job if called on (although I certainly don't have same degree of confidence in its reliability as an XD), but because it's absurd to carry something that bulky and heavy that only fields 9 rounds of 9mm.

I also have HP 995 carbine (the original, even uglier than current carbine), which I like VERY much, and WOULD consider it as a "carry" gun for EOTWAWKI suburban hedgerow action. ;)

- OS

Have not carried a HP but I did carry a Jennings 9, that is just because I found it on the road and had to carry it home.

The cheep gun for carry now is the makarov I stated carrying again because the ammo has gotten a lot better $85 new back in the 90's

Guest Verbal Kint

Honestly, never even seen or held one in real life. And don't regret that at all. lol.

That's kinda like dating women, but screening and meeting only the ones with gonorrhea and syphilis. Granted, that works for Strick... but most of us just don't go there. :cheers:

I've never tried one of their pistols. If I had, I'd fess up. I did own one of their carbines for... a week? Just awful. Wouldn't feed anything.
I have owned one and never could get it to feed more than 3 rounds. I think it was the mag and I wasn't willing to pay for a mag on a $100 gun...

Feeding probs on HP pistols and carbines are almost all mag related.

Feed lips get spread too much, round sits down horizontal instead of tilted slightly upward.

Generally just need to bend feed lips closer together.

- OS

I'm glad to see there was someone who carried (admit to) one. I really liked the sights and they were fully adjustable. If you can carry a 4 inch 45 then it seems the weight would be no different. I'm thinking of buying one to take on horse trips and short runs to the store. I think you could tuck in iwb and be alright.

...If you can carry a 4 inch 45 then it seems the weight would be no different.

C9 weighs 34 oz. with 8+1

XD SC 9 weighs 32 oz with 13+1 rounds, and thick as it is, it's much more concealable due to shape.

.45 1911s, are VERY flat, and highly concealable because of that.

The barrel is not really much a factor for concealment, the gun butt and overall thickness are much more important.

And really, at 2.5 lbs or less, weight isn't too much of a factor in a well made holster and belt.

- OS

Guest mosinon

I also have HP 995 carbine (the original, even uglier than current carbine), which I like VERY much, and WOULD consider it as a "carry" gun for EOTWAWKI suburban hedgerow action. :D

- OS

I've shot that carbine and I liked it VERY much as well. I'd feel good with that thing next to me if I was defending the house against zombies. I don't how much one of those things costs but I have asked OhShoot if he was willing to sell it. Price is not always indicative of usefulness.

I've shot that carbine and I liked it VERY much as well. I'd feel good with that thing next to me if I was defending the house against zombies. I don't how much one of those things costs but I have asked OhShoot if he was willing to sell it. Price is not always indicative of usefulness.

Mosey, T&T had some of the original stocked ones like mine at the gunshow last week, still $199.99 brand new, same as I paid back when.

- OS

I also have HP 995 carbine (the original, even uglier than current carbine), which I like VERY much, and WOULD consider it as a "carry" gun for EOTWAWKI suburban hedgerow action. :cry:

- OS

I agree. If only they made mags with a greater than 10 round capacity. My 995 didn't like the 147 grain ammo I tried in it (the length of the ammo seemed to be an issue - didn't want to feed reliably) but has never balked at any 115 grain ammo - including some that had such hard primers that even my P95 needed double strikes to fire a few of them. I just tried the one kind of 147 in it - WWB JHPs - and haven't tried any more because I generally buy 115 grain stuff, anyway.

I bought a HP 9mm pistol for my mom some time ago - maybe 18 months to two years or so back. She was relying on a .22 rifle for HD and I wanted to get her started into pistols but didn't want to spend a fortune in case she didn't like shooting 9mm (she has lifelong experience with long guns but less with handguns.) I thought that if she took to it, we could always trade it for something better, later.

Well, forget trading. She loves the darned thing and I don't think she'd part with it even though she has since bought other pistols. In fact, she qualified for her HCP with it and apparently shot better than anyone else in her group. I have to admit that I like the thing, myself - especially the sights. Those sights make it pretty easy to keep all shots on an 8-inch target at 25 yards.

Not sure I'd want to carry one, though. Quite apart from the size/weight/bulk issue, I'm not sure how safe it would be to carry with a round chambered. I've even heard from more than one source that HP, themselves, recommend against carrying with a chambered round. A carry gun without a round chambered isn't very useful, IMO. I'd have no qualms about using one for applications where the need to chamber a round before using wouldn't be as big an issue, however (as a vehicle gun for backup, etc.) There is a good chance I'll eventually get one of their pistols in .40 and maybe in .45 just to have those calibers covered without getting into them in any big way.

Edited by JAB
... Quite apart from the size/weight/bulk issue, I'm not sure how safe it would be to carry with a round chambered. I've even heard from more than one source that HP, themselves, recommend against carrying with a chambered round. ..

Well, most manufacturers suggest something similar. Many warn of discharge if dropped, when their guns have passed even Kali's drop safety tests.

HP basically says no gun should even be loaded at all until ready to use. Right.

Ruger says to not have one in chamber in my Mini 14 except when ready to fire. Right.

Kahr says to unload gun immediately after using. Right.

I see no reason why HP isn't as safe as any other gun in that regard. More so than many, if you use the manual safety.

The only gun I own, AFAIK, that really isn't drop safe with one in the chamber is my Remington 870 shottie.

Surprising how few folks know that most, if not all, pump shotguns CAN fire if dropped, even with the safety on.

- OS

I dont think it possible to conceal a hi-point handgun.

My C9 is smaller than my XD45 was and I could conceal that.

In honor of this thread I CC'd my C9 on the way back from the range Sunday. Even stopped at a store along the way. My pants stayed up and no one noticed I was carrying.

I only own one gun that I'd call pretty and it's my Hi-Point C9. :D Ok, I couldn't even keep a str8 face while typing that.

Ok, sure, it's big and its ugly and its heavy and my friends make fun of it when they see me with it, but so was my my ex-wife and I actually married her. In the Hi-Point's defense, at least it does its job pretty well. In fact, I've owned it longer than I was married to my ex and I'm still not sick of shooting the pistol.