Worst Handgun you've ever owned....

Guest Keinengel

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd
Every 1911 I have ever had. I had a Colt series 80 stainless. I loaded a single round in the chamber and let the slide fall, then, when I inserted the magazine, it put a nice hole through the bedroom wall and bathroom door.

You did what? That is not how to load any gun. o.O

I respect that you don't like 1911s, thats fine. It also looks like you have only had both badly made or broken 1911s, and also only had full size steel ones.

A well made 1911 IS the most accurate gun you can find. I'm not talking about how you actually shoot with it, but the guns actual accuracy, taking the man's mistakes out of it.

Also, yea, a full size steel 1911 is heavy. Those who own a full size steel 1911 want a heavy gun, simple as that. They do make light ones though, lol. Pretty much every manufactorer out there makes alloy framed 1911s, they are just as light, or lighter than your polymer framed guns.

Many small ones as well (see my avatar- a very light weight, very small 9mm 1911)

You did what? That is not how to load any gun. o.O

Well, that opinion is irrelevant. Any gun that goes off when a magazine is inserted is garbage, and that gun was garbage. I recreated that a few times for a buddy of mine. Put a single round in the chamber and push a loaded magazine in....bam! Took it to a gun show. Told the guy what it did and sold it for $300. My buddy was the one who encouraged me to sell it for whatever it would bring. I was going to take it to work, clean my mill good and set it up in the vise. Then use a face mill to reduce it to chips and mail it back to Colt. He convinced me that was stupid and anger driven. He was right. I took the $300 and bought a cool little Iver Johnson .38 special target revolver and a several boxes of ammo. Good trade I think.

I understand other people have all the luck in the world with them I'm happy for them. Keeps good americans busy making the things. Accuracy is arguable and totally dependent on whose hands it resides in. Bench rest groups mean little to me as they are not indicative of real world accuracy. I can bench any of my pistols and group better than my shaky hands are capable of. After my bad experiences, I'll never be able to shoot one as I am now a bigot and refuse to accept them in any form. It's like my grandma always said, "That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla. One's no better than the other except to the tastes of the individual"

Jennings J-22

Gave $40 a couple years ago. Only rarely would it fire a 6 round magazine without a stovepipe, double feed, or some other malfunction.

Put a few hundred rounds thru it. Dispatched a turtle and a copperhead. Then one day it fired out of battery, and cracked the slide.

Dummy me bought another slide - back to square one!

1911 the MOST accurate? I suppose, sort of. After spending 10 times as much, its equally as accurate as any other accurate pistol, except the .45 acp has the ballistics of a catapult. At 50 yards, one accurate handgun is much like another, and yes, a good 1911 is as good as any and better than most. But at 100 yards, or 200, the caliber alone makes it a questionable claim that it is the MOST accurate. Magnum calibers and pistols that fire rifle rounds destroy the 1911 at longer ranges, even my cheap as it gets plr16 can hit a pretty solid group at 200 yards, and my desert eagle 44 can pass 100 yards accurately as well, I havent tried to take that to 200 with only fixed iron sights on it. If you want a really disturbing example, the bullesye 22s are a fraction the cost of the 45 and equally as accurate...

And those are the high dollar 1911s. Most of the less expensive ones are less accurate than a $200 makarov or revolver or other fixed barrel gun.

I love to shoot my 1911, it feels great and so on. But to say any of them are more accurate than any other gun that has had an equal amount of gunsmithing love applied, is just not fair. I am willing to bet if you dropped $1500 of pistolsmithing and parts replacement effort into any gun that it would keep pace with a 1911 all day long. And, if you take any 1911 out of the box that cost the same as the gun you want to compare it against, they will probably both be about equally inaccurate.

Is this really necessary? I've had some real lemons in my day but bashing manufacturers and models seems a bit lame.

I had a couple of "bad guns" but others I would know who had the same exact model would have no issues at all. There are allot of variables that can make a weapon unreliable from damaged, ill fitting components to the ammo itself. Yes there are some brands who put out less quality product than others but usually the pricing reflects that.

Charter arms explorer II, its a chopped down ar7 with a pistol grip and bears a resemblance to the old C96 broom handle, a .22 that looks like han solos pistol I'm starwars? Sign me up, sadly I saw this thing in a pawn shop in cleveland and got it for $140 out the door, it fired fine for 100 rounds with great accuracy but one day it just stopped firing, it was the strangest thing It would hit the round and leave a dent but not set it off, when I pulled the round out and tried to fire it through my trusty marlin it still wouldn't fire, I changed up the ammo brand and had the same result, then it started having stove pipes, I checked the firing pin and it was good, the internal striker hit very hard, so hard it shook the gun every time it failed to fire, I knew it was beyond my knowledge and I wasn't about to start sinking money into it so I traded it off for an iver johnson .32 (which I still can't find ammo for)

DIGI0003.jpg

I'm sure you can pick it out

And those are the high dollar 1911s. Most of the less expensive ones are less accurate than a $200 makarov or revolver or other fixed barrel gun.

This is getting silly.

Well, I'm a 1911 h8er and even I'll say that's somewhat of a stretch.

rossi 38 special i bought to learn my wife to shoot with. stupid thing would only fire every other round.took it back to the store and got my money back.

New gun or old gun? I had an old on do that, just needed a stiffer hammer spring. Of course if it was a new gun you shouldn't HAVE to do that.

taurus 605, first 6 worked good then the cylinder got hard to turn, clean it and it was good for 6 more,didn't matter what ammo

Is that the little 9mm revolver? I had one and it ate anything I fed it. I think mine was a 605I, not sure though.

Ruger p89 9mm. Never could shoot a full mag with out a problem. Set it back to ruger. Got new mags. Never did work. Ending up selling to a buddy that has also sent it back a couple time

Well, if you're not gonna have it fixed, if you ever get through Knoxville, I'll give ya 45 bucks for it sight unseen.

- OS

Awesome idea. Warranty on HP & KTs too.

I'll go $50 for a broken Hi-Point, and $100 for a broken/even kaboomed PF-9 (and a bit more for Chrome). Also would entertain a busted up P32, P11, PMR-30 or PLRs

Bert

Guest whtsmoke

mine was a 22 western revolver that i bought back in 1967 from herters for around 19 bucks, adj. sights even. the darn thing had parts made out of pot metal and i broke every spring in it, started making them out of hack saw blades, needless to say i took it apart and it went in different directions.

OK... Don't flame me here - I can't even believe I am saying it but my worst gun, ever, was a Browning Hi Power, 9mm. I bought it used when I was in the Navy in about 1985. I shot it and it was fine but a friend at the gun store showed me that it had been recalled for a safety probably... something was cracking (barrel I think). Anyway i had him send it off for. I ended up going on a deployment (6 months away). When I returned the gun still hadn't. I was due to transfer so ended up selling it to the guy who'd sold it to me (for a bit of a profit)! I turned aright around and bought a Browning A5 shotgun... now I REALLY wish I still had that gun!

OK... Don't flame me here - I can't even believe I am saying it but my worst gun, ever, was a Browning Hi Power, 9mm. I bought it used when I was in the Navy in about 1985. I shot it and it was fine but a friend at the gun store showed me that it had been recalled for a safety probably... something was cracking (barrel I think). Anyway i had him send it off for. I ended up going on a deployment (6 months away). When I returned the gun still hadn't. I was due to transfer so ended up selling it to the guy who'd sold it to me (for a bit of a profit)! I turned aright around and bought a Browning A5 shotgun... now I REALLY wish I still had that gun!

Very sorry. But as you can see...I must comment on this. PHHfffttt! ;)