NRA stickers/etc....t-shirts........

How do you guys feel about NRA stickers on vehicles? Does this increase the chances someone will break into your vehicle looking for guns? I really like the NRA license plate here in TN but i'm afraid to order one based on the logic listed above.

Also, while were on the topic, how do you feel about glock stickers or any other firearm stickers? Do these stickers have the same affect as the NRA stickers?

And......gun t-shirts. Do these make people look twice for a concealed weapon? If i wear a glock t-shirt does that draw more attention from people who may not approve of firearms. :tinfoil:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a car I can see all sides of this. Either it's an invitation, a deterent, or neutral. When it comes to clothes I think it's a bit more along the lines of the "shoot me first" shirt. When I wear stuff like that it's stricly at the range.

understood....i intended both parts to be a hypothetical question. I would like to add a small NRA sticker to the truck but i dont want to replace the windows every two weeks

Personally, I'm not as worried about it on a car. I think it's a very different social dynamic being in a car, compared to being on foot.

Now, a parked car...I can see the invitation to break-in angle. But then the question is: will they break in on an assumption or only if they've maybe seen you stow it. I'm inclined to believe the latter is more likely. In a car, driving around, I see it as a possible deterent.

On foot, wearing gun logos, strolling the mall, I think it's a "shoot me first" sign.

I think these are good things to consider.

On a car I can see all sides of this. Either it's an invitation, a deterent, or neutral. When it comes to clothes I think it's a bit more along the lines of the "shoot me first" shirt. When I wear stuff like that it's stricly at the range.

But you are HIGHLY over thinking 99.9% of criminals in the US. Most to all criminals are just plain stupid. They get caught doing stupid things like hanging around the place they just robbed, spending the money two blocks away, admitting to the cops everything when they could have kept their mouth shut and stayed out of jail. Heck, just look at the TV cops.

When criminals are committing crimes like armed robbery, they are nervous and the adrenaline is flowing. Even if they are casing a joint, they are not thinking clearly and miss details like what's written on someone's clothing. IF they DO notice it, it seems like studies from criminals have said that criminals normally like to avoid people that they know have firearms ready to use. It's the simple law of. "no gun=no getting shot=better chance of walking away alive."

It's the same reason you don't normally see cops getting jumped even though they have uniforms on and open carry. Of course, if everyone open carried, and more people carried period, crime would probably drop (at least robbery in public) like a rock. You might be able to take on one guy with a gun, but 5 people in the store armed ain't good odds.

BTW, I've had an NRA sticker on my truck for over a year with no problem. Even parked overnight in downtown Atlanta with no problems. Criminals are more interested if you have a stereo in your car that they can see is worth stealing (or something else valuable left out in the open.)

Edited by macville
But you are HIGHLY over thinking 99.9% of criminals in the US. Most to all criminals are just plain stupid. They get caught doing stupid things like hanging around the place they just robbed, spending the money two blocks away, admitting to the cops everything when they could have kept their mouth shut and stayed out of jail. Heck, just look at the TV cops.

When criminals are committing crimes like armed robbery, they are nervous and the adrenaline is flowing. Even if they are casing a joint, they are not thinking clearly and miss details like what's written on someone's clothing. IF they DO notice it, it seems like studies from criminals have said that criminals normally like to avoid people that they know have firearms ready to use. It's the simple law of. "no gun=no getting shot=better chance of walking away alive."

It's the same reason you don't normally see cops getting jumped even though they have uniforms on and open carry. Of course, if everyone open carried, and more people carried period, crime would probably drop (at least robbery in public) like a rock. You might be able to take on one guy with a gun, but 5 people in the store armed ain't good odds.

Well, there's that. Maybe I'm not thinking like a tweeker. Maybe they're more impulsive/desperate and are more likley to break into a parked car on the "sticker = gun assumption". I think the only way you get some good stats on this is to ask the criminals.

understood....i intended both parts to be a hypothetical question. I would like to add a small NRA sticker to the truck but i dont want to replace the windows every two weeks

I see cars daily with Obama/Biden stickers on their cars, and they still have their windows intact. :rolleyes:

I understand where you are coming from with those questions. Personally, I don't ever think about it. While I don't own any of those type shirts, I would have no problem wearing one out in public. I doubt anyone would really notice or care for that matter. It seems to me that most people are lost in their own little world when they are out in public. For those who might notice and have a dislike for firearms, well, they can get bent. You have a permit and a right to carry a firearm.

I had stickers for a long time on my car. NRA, Friends of NRA, Range USA and never had an issue. I think it MIGHT be an attraction for the right criminal, but there is no evidence to support a targeting theory.

On clothing I did read an article a few years ago that mentioned shirts, hats, and even the "shoot me vests". His ideas leaned more towards sticking out than advertising. Especially with the vest. Alot of people are oblivious to certain things, but then again in a world of fashion, some things do draw attention to you.

That's not to say I don't wear my Keep TN Zombie Free shirt with pride. :rolleyes:

An NRA sticker on a bumper does not mean there's a gun in the car.

Wearing a Glock shirt does not mean you have a gun in your pocket.

Pulling up your pants does not mean you have a gun on your belt.

Wearing a Rocawear shirt does not mean you're a rapper.

The first three are not going to cause you to get shot by a criminal.

The last is not going to cause you to get shot by a west coast fan.

A purse or computer bag left in sight is more likely a target than a vehicle with a gun related decal. The auto break-ins I've experienced had no gun related identification on windows. In a truck a pistol was not taken while breaking the dash to get the radio.

I don't like stickers of anykind on my vehicles. I don't even like the logo that the dealer puts on the back of the car showing where you purchased it. I do have a UT Alumni license plate frame but I don't have a front plate of any kind. I'm the same way about clothing items. I don't like to pay to purchase an item that is an advertisment for a company. Call me cranky. I'm really going to be bad when I get old(er).

My range bag does have a Midway logo on it but I figure the same bag without the logo would have been $100 and this one was only $39 so I got a discount for the advertisment.

I had on my rear window in my truck " I'll keep my gun, freedom, gun and you keep the change" bumper sticker from the election. I removed it before making a couple of trips to fl. due to concerns of traveling.

I did get stopped by local LEO for a headlight light at 5:00 am the officer had a grin on his face when we walked up ask for license I told him I had a HCP. He didn't run a check said I looked OK just said get my light fixed I promised I would I and told thanks I that I didn't know it was out. Which repaired that day. I didn't know it was out because my running lights still worked. The sticker was new at the time.

Edited by laktrash
wrong wording
Guest Phantom6

I have two NRA decals on the back glass of my truck. A member decal and a decal that says "I Am the NRA and I Vote". I had heard folks talking about being worried that markings such as these may bring unwanted attention to their vehicles by the criminal element but I don't think that carries a lot of weight. After all, if the large door sheilds with our logo (same as my avitar), name and the mention of pistol, rifle, shotgun and instructor training didn't get the miscreants evil juices flowing I can't think of much else that could.;)

On a complimentary note, I park this truck in front of my home and on the shed door at the end of my car port I have a B-27 target with a large ragged hole where the "X" used to be. My wife and I bought this home 6 years ago and our home is the only house on our block that hasn't been broken into or had items stolen off the property. Of course we have a security system and video survelance system but we don't advertise the security system with the little yard sign so as not to give anyone any hints about how to by-pass it and you really have to look hard for the cameras.:)

I don't like stickers of anykind on my vehicles. I don't even like the logo that the dealer puts on the back of the car showing where you purchased it. I do have a UT Alumni license plate frame but I don't have a front plate of any kind. I'm the same way about clothing items. I don't like to pay to purchase an item that is an advertisment for a company. Call me cranky. I'm really going to be bad when I get old(er).

My range bag does have a Midway logo on it but I figure the same bag without the logo would have been $100 and this one was only $39 so I got a discount for the advertisment.

+1
My rule is to maintain a low profile. Give away as little information about yourself as possible.
+1
Guest tnxdshooter

BTW, I've had an NRA sticker on my truck for over a year with no problem. Even parked overnight in downtown Atlanta with no problems. Criminals are more interested if you have a stereo in your car that they can see is worth stealing (or something else valuable left out in the open.)

According to a tactical book I read you should never take on an active shooter. You should always try and get out of the store first and get away safely. It said to only use your gun as a last resort and to take a tactical vantage point.

They get caught doing stupid things like hanging around the place they just robbed,

Or robbing the place where they currently work without wearing a disguise. LOVE that one. Darwin at his best right there.

As to the OP: I wear gun-related shirts regularly. I go somewhere several nights a week right after work and I wear whatever I have on. Very rarely does anyone ever seem to notice. I also have had one gun related sticker (although not an NRA sticker, but there is a picture of a gun on it) on my car from some years now and it's never been a problem.

Edited by robbiev

While I hate bumper stickers of any kind, I did put a small Hero Gear sticker in the corner of my back window. Since I live in the Nashville area, VERY few people know what that is. However, I was visiting my sister in Franklin County a few weeks ago, and got pulled over on Hwy130 for going a bit faster than was prudent. The officer saw my sticker, and the first question he asked me was if I had any weapons.

Mac