Glock Modifications

Sandman

So I did it. I have decided on a Glock 30 for my EDC. It is 100% stock. The first mod will be night sights. What all have you guys done to your Glocks and how do you like it? Heavy springs, 3.5# connectors, etc...Should I even mod it or follow if it ain't broke don't fix it theory?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like everyone likes the truglo's. What colors does everyone have?

Not everyone, I loathe truglo's, they look like x-mas trees to me and are just distracting as could possibly be. Also, it's been proven that bright tritium in the rear is actually worse than nothing at all as it messes with your eye's abilities in low-light (different colors is more of a hindrance than good too).

Like others have said better sights is the first change most make, but I'd steer clear of ones that are gimmicky and do a bit of research on what sizes/widths work best with your eyes (OEM front is a fat .140" in a .150" rear notch, crappy light-bar-to-blade-width-ratio, try a .115" with a .150" notch to even as thin as a .090" with a .125" rear notch and you'll swear you somehow got better eyes). Tritium night sights don't come any thinner than a .125" so if that's the way you choose to go check the width on the rear notch before you order, any narrower than a .150" notch with a .125" up front is cramped and slow IMHO. The less complicated your sight picture is the better your brain and your eyes can focus on keeping the front blade centered and steady, too much going on or bright distracting sights will most likely never be as consistently accurate (this is why so many pro shooters use all-black irons).

Glock modifications can run the gamut from almost nothing to "sky's the limit", got to shoot it some before you find out how you want to proceed, what you choose to do depends on you...

Edited by CK1
Guest Guy N. Cognito
Also, it's been proven that bright tritium in the rear is actually worse than nothing at all as it messes with your eye's abilities in low-light (different colors is more of a hindrance than good too).

That's an interesting factoid that I'd like to research more. Do you have any links that substantiate this claim?

That's an interesting factoid that I'd like to research more. Do you have any links that substantiate this claim?

Heard of Google? Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not going to track down every article I've read about it for you right now... Look up how our eyes work at night and it starts to make sense, think I searched "human sight + night sights" or something to that effect, the jist of it has to do with how our eyes collect ambient light so we can see in low-light, closer, brighter light sources get more visual priority and use more of our eyes limited available energy to focus and see clearly, and you want to be focusing on the front sight (which is not as bright in a lot of NS sets since it's further away) and the real problem is it's instinct so it cannot dependably be trained out, your eyes can end up staring at the rear (instead of the front sight and/or threat) whether you like it or not... the "complicated" vs "simple" sight picture theory has more to do with our brains, "simple" gives more "horsepower" to really focus on the front sight and/or target as or brain has less to take-in and decode, while "complicated" draws more energy...

I was surprised myself when I really looked into it...

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Heard of Google? Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not going to track down every article I've read about it for you right now... Look up how our eyes work at night and it starts to make sense, think I searched "human sight + night sights" or something to that effect, the jist of it has to do with how our eyes collect ambient light so we can see in low-light, closer, brighter light sources get more visual priority and use more of our eyes limited available energy to focus and see clearly, and you want to be focusing on the front sight (which is not as bright in a lot of NS sets since it's further away) and the real problem is it's instinct so it cannot dependably be trained out, your eyes can end up staring at the rear (instead of the front sight and/or threat) whether you like it or not... the "complicated" vs "simple" sight picture theory has more to do with our brains, "simple" gives more "horsepower" to really focus on the front sight and/or target as or brain has less to take-in and decode, while "complicated" draws more energy...

I was surprised myself when I really looked into it...

......which is why the Truglo Green / yellow sets work so well in low light conditions. Yellow tritium is dimmer than green, so the front sight is not only brighter, but the contrasting color makes the front sight nearly impossible to confuse with the rear.

Contrasting color night sights are available from almost every manufacturer, and can solve the front / rear confusion that some believe exists.

I have wide notch Heinie Slant Pro sights on both of my Glock 19's and love them. If I were setting up those two pistols right now, I'd do Warren Tactical sights, black in the back, and a tritium vial in the front. Add a Glock 34 slide stop, and I'm done.

Johnny:_____________

Pick the nite sites you like (...we use whatever is on sale when we are looking; trijcon, ameriglo, meprolight, etc...). I would recommend looking at as many as you can. I cant really tell any difference in them, they all do exactly what they are supposed to do.

We also add the decalgrips grip panels (...the sandy ones...) to the gripframe, and install an all steel guide-rod and spring (...captured or non-captured, dont care which...) in the stock pistol (...i just dont like plastic type parts on a guide-rod; but that's just me...).

The final touch is to order an Allen Miller kydex pocket holster for the beastie to be housed in. We shoot it to make sure it works (...they always do, hehehe -- that's why they are so great...) and put it in service. The glocks dont need much monkeying with; they aint like the 1911's.

All this from an old time double action smith and colt 1911 snob.

Have fun,

Leroy