Fake Rolex

Guest strelcevina

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it matter? If I see what appears to be a Rolex, I know the person is a moron - either for spending that much on a watch, or for wanting to look like they spent that much on a watch.

You're correct - bottom line is the same either way

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
Been on this earth a little while, travelling most of the time and the only reason I remember this is because I was able to compare some low end fakes to his high end one. We meet later and I asked how his fake was holding up because one of mine had died. That is when he told me the story of the dealer. I remember comparing his to others trying to figure out if the extra money was worth it. And seeing as well as feeling the difference was obvious. His job was worth way more than the $2000 he would have got from the watch. Most charges would have cost him his clearance, especially something like a theft.

Dolomite

Um I may have missed something but... Where was the theft? I mean it is one thing to misrepresent an item...Its another for a dealer to not believe you on an items lack of authenticity when you inform them it is a fake.

Um I may have missed something but... Where was the theft? I mean it is one thing to misrepresent an item...Its another for a dealer to not believe you on an items lack of authenticity when you inform them it is a fake.

He said he was worried about about selling it.

I have never sold any of mine or even tried to represent them as anything. I gave a few as Christmas presents to people and let them know they weren't real.

Dolomite

I have never been a 'watch' person. I have an internal clock that is almost always within five minutes. I do however happen to have a Bulova that was an anniversary gift from work.

I don't wear it.

Both of my cell phones have clocks on them.

I guess I don't get it.

People don't "need" high end 1911s either, a High Point will do same job. Some people appreciate a hand-crafted item they can pass on to their children.

I thought we where talking about watches, not something important were a person's life might depend on it same day.

I agree, you can not compare a high end 1911 to a High point, but this thread was about a time piece.

Edited by vontar

I wear an atomic, solar powered Casio G Shock everyday and when it wears out I'll replace it with another one. Turns out I'm a Casio kind of guy and I haven't worn my Rolex in years. And yes, Rolex's do "tick", but they tick many times per second and it's imperceptible at a distance. One way you can sometimes tell a real one from a fake is by the weight. Real Rolex's tend to be quite a bit heavier than the average fake. But I don't know of any way to tell a decent fake from the real thing at a distance.

I thought we where talking about watches, not something important were a person's life might depend on it same day.

I agree, you can not compare a high end 1911 to a High point, but this thread was about a time piece.

Of course I know the thread is about watches, but I was trying to speak in terms folks can relate too. Next time I'll make sure not to mention guns on TGO. :)

Personally, I don't even own a Rolex (Although I must admit I own an automatic mechanical swiss watch), but I'm not going to pass judgment on someone just because they like something different than me. That's the great thing about America we all have the opportunity to work toward what having what we like and we don't have to like the same stuff. I've got no plans to buy a 1911, but I'm not going say someone is an idiot because the like a really heavy gun with less capacity than a .45 Glock or M&P. They happen to like something different than me, big deal. I can respect the craftsmanship even if it's not my style.

If you think the 1911 analogy is wrong just click here and check out the pic on the left:

Ed Brown Products, 1911, parts :D

Edit: Lest you guys think I'm some watch snob, I actually like the G-Shocks too. It just so happens that I work in a field that requires me to wear suits and wearing a digital watch with a suit would be like using an Uncle Mike's with a $2,300 custom 1911.

Edited by JReedEsq

It just so happens that I work in a field that requires me to wear suits and wearing a digital watch with a suit would be like using an Uncle Mike's with a $2,300 custom 1911.

You could always wear an Omega X-33. It is what I wear daily.

• 6 months later...

I'm sorry OP but you're wrong and the cyclops is not a dead giveaway, neither is the movement.... I've had my fair share of "Replica" or "knockoff" Rolex's and a few were "franken" meaning they were built with either all genuine parts or partial. There are also some true "fakes" that have everything correct... from the look to the second hand sweep, even the serial numbers.... But now there are even movements that look IDENTICAL! At one point I had a Rolex Deep Sea Dweller replica that was so good, a pawn shop offered me $6,000. I simply refused and explained it wasn't real all while they insisted it was. I took it in to show them so they'd know these highend fakes are now being mass produced!

Tell tell signs(most of time): Date magnification, font, rehaut engraving(around bezel inside),smoothness of sweep, weight....

The #1 tell tell sign though.... the color of the metal used. A genuine Rolex uses a high grade Stainless steel which is MUCH brighter than the cheap 316 SS used my most replica factories.

The only way to truly know is to have it looked at by an authorized dealer/service center and let them check the serial #'s with the factory.

Does it matter? If I see what appears to be a Rolex, I know the person is a moron - either for spending that much on a watch, or for wanting to look like they spent that much on a watch.

This would be my first thought as well. Sorry if it offends anyone. I never found the Rolex watches to be attractive in any manner. My cell phone has a clock that is always accurate, and even automatically changes time zones.

We have a Howard pocket watch that belonged to my great, great grandfather. My father thinks it was purchased about a century ago. In the back of it, we found two receipts. One was where it was sent in for repair in 1927 I think. The other was the original purchase receipt, sadly undated. The price was $60!!! I wish he'd have bought a farm with that $60 and passed it down rather than a pocket watch.

Strel did make some interesting comments. And start some wild arguements, that's for sure.

I'm pretty much with gregintenn, really not into watches. Havent worn one in so long I can't remember when. Way too many ways to find the time around me to spend money like that (Rolex) on a wrist ornament.

I did once almost buy a Rolex Submariner. Walked in to well-known jewelry chain some years back, and started counting out money...then I realized what I was doing and left. Haven't regretted it one bit. JMO

A Rolex is an automatic watch. Personally, I do not like Rolex. I prefer Omega and Breitling. I think they make better watches.

I scratch my head at those who buy fake watches. Either buy the real thing or buy a less expensive but better quality watch than the fake watch. It seems that some who buy those fake watches are trying to impress other people. Don't, because nobody really gives a crap about what kind of watch you wear.

I agree 100 percent and add Doxa to the better ones!

I agree 100 percent and add Doxa to the better ones!

I really like the military edition PVD Sharkhunter. I have been looking at several PVD watches for quite a while. I don't know what it is, but I really like the black finish.