Why did you start carrying?

Here from another atv rider. I got mine mainly because one time i was riding with a group of friends and some drunk guy kept harrassing me about my new atv at the time, it about ended badly. Luckily i was with friends at the time. The other main reason was since i moved out here in the country, my mother was worried about my safety. Plus i always wanted one. Only weapon i had prior to getting my handgun was a 22 rifle and a bb gun.

I am working on my gun collection gradually though.

I had already owned firearms and had planned on getting my permit right after I turned 21 but I never really got around to it right away. I was in a speech class and the teacher tried to tell us that if the victims at Virginia Tech had been able to carry firearms it would have done them no good and probably caused more harm. I decided to make my last speech of the year be about examples of permit holders stopping shooters and how criminals don't care about the law. I figured the best way to be prepared for the speech would be to actually take the class instead of just reading about it.

If you were wondering, I DO obey all laws concerning carrying and I do NOT carry at school. Also I got a C in the class that was supposed to be an easy A because I got the last word in on the gun haters.

If you were wondering, I DO obey all laws concerning carrying and I do NOT carry at school. Also I got a C in the class that was supposed to be an easy A because I got the last word in on the gun haters.

That "C" would be in a frame on my wall.

I grew up, married, had kids, and realized that the world is full on crazies.

This. I never worried too much about my safety when I was single, and I often put myself into ridiculously dangerous situations when I was young and dumber than I am now. But now I feel the responsibility of protecting my wife and kids, as well as protecting myself so I can continue to provide for them.

i can say that alcoa has some big cops and not fat. i got lunch the other day and 4 came in they had to have been around 6'5" and were in great shape.i would have not wanted to mess with them .i am 5'9" and go 200 pounds and they made me look tiny.

Guest sneakboxer

I grew up in a very small town (>2,500) and handled firearms since a young child. I joined the Coast Guard at 18 and my first cutter was homeported in downtown Detroit. Need i say more... I had a permit and pistol legally in my belt or glove box 15 days after my 21st birthday.

Other reasons would include:

My right, random crazy people, protect my family, grandfather if law changes, carried one at work,

I like stories so here we go. I'm posing a question as to what made you start carrying? It could be a simple as you believe everyone should be armed or as complex as you were attacked...I know some of the people's stories on here and would love to hear yours.

With that said, I started carrying after one event happened in my life. It happened when I was driving in Nashville. I was trying to exit off the interstate and didn't see a car in my blind spot. I swerved back in my lane and waved an apologetic wave. At the exit, the car blocks the road and 4 gang looking members jump out with bandanas covering their face and act like they are gonna shoot me...I got my permit the next week.

Oh geez! Don't you hate these gangs?

I'd be re-thinking my priorities man. Lots of places post, lots of places don't. Go to the other ones.

There's not much you can do in the city...my employer posts, which includes the grounds. No guns in cars, which means disarmed status to and from work, 5 or 6 days a week. I coach youth sports at a Nashville-Muni facility 3 days a week - no guns on premises - again, disarmed by local statute. Between working / coaching in Metro, and then living near Cool Springs, I'd have to become a hermit to keep my gun on me at all times. It's a less than optimal situation, but until I can reach a spot in life where I can buy some land and live a good ways out of the city, that's the reality I (and many others on here) have to deal with.

There's not much you can do in the city...my employer posts, which includes the grounds. No guns in cars, which means disarmed status to and from work, 5 or 6 days a week. I coach youth sports at a Nashville-Muni facility 3 days a week - no guns on premises - again, disarmed by local statute. Between working / coaching in Metro, and then living near Cool Springs, I'd have to become a hermit to keep my gun on me at all times. It's a less than optimal situation, but until I can reach a spot in life where I can buy some land and live a good ways out of the city, that's the reality I (and many others on here) have to deal with.

Yep, about the same for me. Well, except for the coaching part. Employer prohibits on their grounds, including parking lots, so that's 5 days a week no carry. Every once in a while I'll have an opportunity to carry on the weekends. But if I'm going out with the wife I like to have a beer or glass of wine with a meal (or at least have the option), so that's a voluntary choice to not carry. I usually stick around the house on weekends anyway, in which case I can carry all I want but I didn't really need a permit for that. :P

Ok I gotcha now. Yea that sucks. I thought you meant more "choice" places like restaurants.

Guest archerdr1

I have many reasons, but my main two reasons are named Dylon and Maverick. they are my 2 and 4 sons. When I got married, I had guns in the house and would take them with me when I went to visit my parents in Mississippi but had to wait until I crossed out of Alabama to load them. If we walked around Chattanooga I carried a pocket knife and felt ok b/c I had plenty of knife and hand to hand combat training, but still would have rather carried a gun. When I would walk around Highland Park at midnight I carried b/c I was friends with most of the night shift police at the time and they told me that if I was going to walk at night to carry a gun. Got my permit shortly after we had our first son. When I held him for the first time I told myself I need to get my permit b/c there is nothing I would not do to protect him.

I'm a country boy, and I've always liked guns. I found myself forgetting I had one on my belt, and going into town for something. Probably wouldn't cause a problem here, as most everyone knows me, but I thought it wouldn't take but once for me to have a lot of trouble on my hands. My wife expressed interest in a handgun carry permit, so I thought that would be a good opportunity for both of us to get legal. Sometimes I carry, and sometimes I don't. I don't go many places where I'm scared of trouble. My wife, on the other hand, doesn't leave the house unarmed. I'm proud of her for that.

Ok I gotcha now. Yea that sucks. I thought you meant more "choice" places like restaurants.

It's not the best situation, but at least I've got a job, so I'm not about to get incensed over the issue. There's too many people out there that are just as capable as I am trying to get by on unemployment while trying to find work - if my employer tells me no guns, I salute. When metro does it, there's no recourse.

Erin Go Bragh, Cead Maile Failte, Cha dèan cas làidir nach ith brù mhòr.

It's not the best situation, but at least I've got a job, so I'm not about to get incensed over the issue. There's too many people out there that are just as capable as I am trying to get by on unemployment while trying to find work - if my employer tells me no guns, I salute. When metro does it, there's no recourse.

Erin Go Bragh, Cead Maile Failte, Cha dèan cas làidir nach ith brù mhòr.

Definitely understand that. Sláinte!

Guest DylisTN

John Lott's book "More Guns Less Crime" Before that I would not have bothered to get a permit. I avoid dangerous places, so my personal risk is vanishing small. But Lott's book convinced me that concealed fire arms make the victim selection process so difficult that overall crime is reduced. So, all of the folks who carried were defending me, just by being armed. So I now believe it is selfish not to carry. I still don't put on my seat belt.

Guest Russell

These are all very good reasons I see posted here. I understand and agree.

I got married and had a son last year.

I support my freedoms and the principles our country is founded on.

I got into doing security for private events, and have no interest in doing unarmed jobs.

I'm planning law enforcement as a career.

I was a boy scout, and have been a volunteer firefighter for years, my fire/ems training has been critically helpful in situations that have come up and I always plan to be prepared.

Most importantly... people are crazy.

I don't drink but the song has it right...

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy."

Be safe,

- Russell

1. Panic of 2008, no ammo in store. This led to getting my permit, and better arms.

2. On the job encounter with an unstable customer, who came too close while making a rather bizarre suggestion. I took a step back and raised my clipboard. He then offered me a piece of chewing gum! This later made me realize a clipboard was woefully inadequate for self-defense.

3. Christian/Newsom murders, and other violent incidents - some closer to home - led to my decision to carry daily.

Edited by ttocswob
grammer