Gas Prices

strickj

I pulled up to a pump today and the sign on the road said 2.94, at the pump that was the cash price, use a card and it was 3.04. I went across the street and got it for 2.94 with my check card. Of course, after I got a fill up it was 2.91 down the road. Should have checked gas-buddy.

I will gladly pay an extra twenty cents a gallon for non ethanoll gasoline. Ethanol easily cuts my MPG by 10%. My yard equipment all runs way better on real gasoline, the quads as well.

I used to know of three stations that sold it around here. Now none of the three do.

if my truck could run on vodka I could hedge my bets a bit.

Obama will be thrilled when gas costs 5 bucks a gallon.

Wealthy people are not concerned, an extra fifty bucks a week per car they have ( kids and such) is nothing if you have millions. The guy making 12 or 14 bucks an hour and raising a family will be killed by it happening.

Like I said Obama will be thrilled by it. more people that are dirt poor, the more that look to the .gov for help.

iAnd I believe OS is spot on. If there was a magic pill for MPG we would have seen it by now, and paying out the wazzoo for it too.

Edited by Mike.357
I pulled up to a pump today and the sign on the road said 2.94, at the pump that was the cash price, use a card and it was 3.04. I went across the street and got it for 2.94 with my check card. Of course, after I got a fill up it was 2.91 down the road. Should have checked gas-buddy.

I'm all for the lowest price but try not to beat yourself up over three cents a gallon. I used to until I did some math. If you bought 20 gallons at the 2.91 price instead of the 2.94 you would have only saved 60 cents. Yes it is 60 cents but is that enough to get all worked up over??? Now if the gap was bigger, yeah, I'd be squawking and looking for a cheaper place.

Don't get me wrong however, I'm all in favor of way cheaper gas all around :D

Edited by hardknox00001
Impending sign 'o the times in more ways than one perhaps -- when push comes to shove, you (and livestock) can eat corn but not gasoline.

Then again, we can drink the ethanol; maybe we'll just turn into a nation of non-driving poor Russian style drunks, "shine" instead of vodka.

- OS

We can make ethanol out of virtually anything, just sayin

The reason it is associated so often with corn is because ethanol is often a by product of other production processes that use corn.

While higher gas/oil prices are immediately seen at the pump, they can also be seen in about everything else. Just think about how much within our society is derived from oil. I work in the chemical field and I can tell you that we are experiencing price increases like nothing I have ever seen. It seems like every week prices are going up. We are forced to come up with cheaper alternatives, and if that is not an option, we have no choice but to pass the price increases on to the manufacturer using our products. The manufacturer then passes those prices on to the consumer.

We can make ethanol out of virtually anything, just sayin...

But I don't think we grow enough of anything else to make it in volume.

Brazil is the only other big producer, and they use sugar cane, option we don't have due to climate.

Meaning in volumes suitable for fuel. Russia uses spuds for its cheapest vodka.

- OS

Dear God in Heaven...WE are supposed to the ones who will preserve liberty, justice and American exceptionalism for future generations?

Today’s generation has sold out their kids, grandkids and even their country. Most are price buyers. They don’t care where a product came from or what it does to our economy; as long as it is cheap.

Our economy is collapsing and it is on us. We can’t blame China, Japan, the government or anyone else. Look in the mirror.... and take responsibility.

• Administrator

Meh.

I refuse to stress about something I can't control, and I can't control gas prices. What I can control are other spending habits and I can re-prioritize activities that cause me to use fossil fuels. By doing those things, the rising cost of gasoline really isn't much of an issue. Europeans have been paying $5+ per gallon of fuel for quite a long time now. It didn't somehow wipe them off the map.

:D

Today’s generation has sold out their kids, grandkids and even their country. Most are price buyers. They don’t care where a product came from or what it does to our economy; as long as it is cheap.

Our economy is collapsing and it is on us. We can’t blame China, Japan, the government or anyone else. Look in the mirror.... and take responsibility.

:D

At what point do you think gas will hit the 5.00 mark(nat.avg)?

No one can predict such things but I don't think it will hit $5/gal as a national average this calendar year. Perhaps it will get there in California or New York where prices are always higher. Five dollars is a significant psychological mark and as it approached people would seriously begin to cut down their usage which would keep the demand down, thus the prices from rising that far. OPEC drives supply and geopolitics could have a say, too. As has been noted, Europeans have been paying $4-5/gallon for decades. The Brits also pay through the nose and workers strike over a hike in gas prices. Think that might happen here?

... Europeans have been paying $5+ per gallon of fuel for quite a long time now. It didn't somehow wipe them off the map...

One major diff -- Western Europe developed extensive mass transit long ago.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

- OS

True. back in the 70's when I was schlepping around Italy gas was going for about 2.50/gal based on the exchange rate. However I never drove a car. It was all trains.

- OS

That's because European cities have had huge populations for almost 1,000 years or more. Americans have always been freedom loving individuals who don't like to be tied down, so the automobile proliferated here like nowhere else. The Founding Fathers of America didn't plan for subways and such with a population of only 7 million for an entire country in 1760, let alone a single city. If we'd had large populations nationwide rather than in only a few concentrated areas when the technology for mass transit came about, then we may have more abundance of mass transit.

That's because European cities have had huge populations for almost 1,000 years or more. Americans have always been freedom loving individuals who don't like to be tied down, so the automobile proliferated here like nowhere else. The Founding Fathers of America didn't plan for subways and such with a population of only 7 million for an entire country in 1760, let alone a single city. If we'd had large populations nationwide rather than in only a few concentrated areas when the technology for mass transit came about, then we may have more abundance of mass transit.

The founding fathers really have nothing to do with it. Prior to say WWII, most Americans did live in fairly centralized areas. The subdivision and commuting boom started in the 50's based on cheap oil and gasoline and has exploded to the point that now, as a nation, we are in for some dark times when it comes to energy.

Our entire economy is based on oil, from heating in the North to driving 20 miles one-way to work everyday everywhere else, from the plastic bottles people insist on drinking water out of to the plastic bags they carry stuff home from the store in. This nation has failed to embrace new technology and perfect it. Our answer has always been to search for more non-renewable energy sources, regardless of the environmental impact. Cheaper alternatives would exist if the businesses that hold the fate of our economy, out mere existance would not only invest in them, but start using them.

We hear about all this "well, if the libs and EPA would just let us drill in (fill in the blank).... or we need to strip mountain tops for cheap coal...or, or, or. Personally, I do not want to live in a wasteland just to satisfy out greedy needs or see future generations living in a desert. Fossil-based resources on this planet are a finite commodity. They aren't making any more.

/Rant

Well, then define greed. Our use of petroleum has made us into the most powerful nation

on the planet and has propelled us technologically. We will always seek new technologies to

replace old ones. One of the problems is how it has been made into an evil commodity and

so politically charged. When governments attempt to control commodities is where we are

straying. We have been told so many lies and suppositions about our energy reserves, they

have become to be assumed to be the truth. I don't buy it.

Guest mosinon
Well, then define greed. Our use of petroleum has made us into the most powerful nation

on the planet and has propelled us technologically. We will always seek new technologies to

replace old ones. One of the problems is how it has been made into an evil commodity and

so politically charged. When governments attempt to control commodities is where we are

straying. We have been told so many lies and suppositions about our energy reserves, they

have become to be assumed to be the truth. I don't buy it.

I'm not sure I can buy into that notion. Our energy reserves are huge if you count coal and nuclear but not so much for oil.

Our use of oil had made us a loser in the trade wars. The trade deficit wouldn't be a trade deficit if we didn't import so much oil. The idea that we can pump enough oil out of American reserves to keep it cheap is, sadly, laughable. It isn't the regs getting in the way, it is the fact that we don't have a bunch and what we do have is comparatively expensive to get out of the ground.

Could nuclear and electric cars alleviate the problem? Perhaps

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8668319287834598272#

Granted this is atleast 3 years old, but what he said happened. Lindsey Williams has been on Alex Jones the past couple of days 22nd and 23rd.

Globalists To Hijack Middle East, Cause Food Riots and Spike Gas Prices - Feb. 21, 2011

Nwo to Target Iran & Saudi Arabi Next, Oil to Hit $200 a Barrel - Feb. 22, 2011

China Rising and The Way of Life Here in America Will End!! - Feb. 23, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpd2fCjJi0Q

Lindsey Williams The Energy Non Crisis Edited by StreetWK05