Tennessee Sheriff's Association

BigK

I got a letter asking for $25 to be a member of this outfit. I found their website & it looks like a legit org. I have no idea why a non-LEO would be solicited or why I'd want to be a member.

Anyone got any input?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From their website:

Who We Are

The Tennessee Sheriffs’ Association (TSA) is a non-profit educational organization recognized as tax-exempt under Section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954. Founded in 1971, TSA business is carried out by a director under the supervision of an executive committee composed of sheriffs from across the state.

What We Do

The TSA's purpose is to promote better and more effective law enforcement; maintain a high level of ethical conduct on the part of all sheriffs and their deputies; provide a forum for the exchange of knowledge and experience among all sheriffs; establish the highest degree of cooperation among the law-enforcing agencies in the State of Tennessee; bring the sheriffs of the various counties into close association and to promote cooperation in the conduct of the laws of Tennessee pertaining to the apprehension and prosecution of persons violating the laws of Tennessee; improve and encourage greater efficiency in the administration of sheriffs' offices and to protect the welfare and interest of the members of the association.

The TSA is not organized for financial gain or profit but for the benefit of all law abiding citizens of Tennessee. Money derived from honorary membership dues and donations is used to fulfill the above obligations; provide in-service training on a bi-monthly basis for sheriffs and chief deputies; provide a legislative liaison service for improving laws that protect the citizenry; disseminate educational information and material beneficial to sheriffs; operate a central office and assist in further upgrading and professionalizing county law enforcement.

Donations

As mentioned above, the association's operating budget is based on membership dues and donations. The more we have, the more good we can do. If you would like to make a tax-deductible contribution, please phone or e-mail us.

I know they are a legitimate organization because they actually do stuff for LE agencies, but I don't know much more. As far as the 2A, I'm not sure if they have any opinions or influence one way or another. Definitely something to check into before considering whether or not to donate.

I'd opine they likely used the HCP database to send out the solicitations?

- OS

Seems likely. I found these two old threads-

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/tennessee-politics-legislation/10024-letter-tn-sheriffs-association-mail-today-2.html

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/5934-tennessee-public-safety-coalition.html

Looks like they MAY not be anti-gun, but they're definitely not PRO-gun. I'd trash the application... unless you just really want to be cool and get that front license plate. It'd really set off an HCP badge.

Kidding, of course. :)

My 12 year old son got one a couple of days ago. He thought he was in big trouble, getting a letter from the sheriff, until he opened it and saw what it was. Our sheriff has made more than a few idiotic remarks in the past regarding guns. He isn't getting anything from me; not even a vote next election.

I got one too...Monday I think...I too was wondering how where the "organization" stands on firearms issues since as I think most of us know, it's not all that unusual for individual LEOs to be very supportive of private gun ownership/carry even while LEO organization leadership take a very negative stand.

If the organization is really doing good things to help law enforcement in the state I don't mind donating but I don't want to donate to an organization that supports anti-gun arguments!

Edited by RobertNashville

We got that solicitation from our sheriff, too. I have nothing against him, personally, but my first thought was, "Is this organization made up of the same sheriffs who lined up around Bredesen to support his vetoing the restaurant carry bill?" In fact, I seem to remember the Tennessee Sheriff's Association sending letters officially opposing the legislation.

The only thing I can find in a quick search that backs up my memory (which has been known to be faulty) is an article from Metro Pulse back in 2009. Yeah, I know - it is Liberal Pulse but still I would hope they didn't just make up this part:

The Tennessee Public Safety Coalition, which includes Knoxville Police Chief Sterling Owen and members of public-safety groups representing the Tennessee Association of Police Chiefs and Tennessee Sheriff’s Association, sent a letter to the state House last year opposing the 2008 House version of the bill. “Ladies and gentleman, firearms and alcohol do not mix! It makes absolutely no sense to us to allow persons to carry guns into establishments where alcohol-related fights are most likely to occur,” said the letter.
The entire article can be found:

Tennessee's

Now, probably all the sheriff's involved don't agree with that stance but that seems to have been the official stance of the organization. If they don't trust me to have a meal while carrying my legal firearm then f*** 'em and I sure as hell won't send them any money.

Edited by JAB
I got one too. I'll probably donate.

I donated to one at xmas time while in Cookeville the people were not with the police in any was gave me a sheriffs dept sticker I donated because I thought I was helping a family . They aggravated the crap out me for years after that even at home which I have no idea how they got . From that point on I donate only if I know who and where exactly my $ goes to. We have a local LEO that we donate to that helps needy families. No jams, jellies, stickers or license tags for me

I found these two old threads...

I must've "miss pelt" it when I searched, LOL.

I like to help the fire dept and LE orgs when I can. The thought of giving my hard earned money to a group that fought against restaurant carry or any other 2A effort makes me ill, though. I looked them up too and read most of these articles and old threads, I think I'll keep my $25 and they can keep their nifty card and stickers.

Now, probably all the sheriff's involved don't agree with that stance but that seems to have been the official stance of the organization. If they don't trust me to have a meal while carrying my legal firearm then f*** 'em and I sure as hell won't send them any money.

I think that was part of the debate last time this came up. The TN Sheriff's Association stated that they had no knowledge of the letters and that they weren't involved in any way. I think the Sheriff's Association is trying to stay out of politics.

I like to help the fire dept and LE orgs when I can. The thought of giving my hard earned money to a group that fought against restaurant carry or any other 2A effort makes me ill, though. I looked them up too and read most of these articles and old threads, I think I'll keep my $25 and they can keep their nifty card and stickers.

If you really feel the desire to do something, look up COPS (Concerns of Police Survivors). They do all sorts of stuff for the families of fallen officers. They have summer camps for the children, retreats for the widows / widowers, etc. They also put on classes across the country for LE agencies on how to handle line of duty deaths. I had the pleasure of going to one of those classes last month. Very informative. Great organization. And if you like nifty stickers, I have a bunch of here. PM me and I'll send you one. :D

They get your info from the hcp database. They are legit. I have donated to them for about four years. I also donate to the firemen. The TSA only ask for you to donate once a year. The firemen call like a jilted girlfriend.

If you really feel the desire to do something, look up COPS (Concerns of Police Survivors). ...And if you like nifty stickers, I have a bunch of here. PM me and I'll send you one. :)

A friend at work and I were just talking about COPS at work today. Definitely a top-notch outfit.

I was joking about the nifty stickers, LOL.

As a LEO myself, the TN Sheriffs Assn. is a legit organization. They do support

law enforcement activities, as well as charity work, etc. This part I agree with.

As stated in earlier posts, the org. hasn't always been friendly to 2A. Not all

members fall into this group, of course, myself included.

Use your own judgment as to how it balances out. I scrapped mine as I don't have

$25 to spare right now for this type of thing, and it's a bit too political for my taste.

JMHO

The cops call me all the time asking for money. I asked them why I pay taxes and got no good answer, so I told them to take it out of my last ticket and he hung up. The firemen call all the time wanting me to buy tickets to stuff like barry manilow or other horrible things --- why couldnt they sell tickets to the upcoming trans-siberian...?!

I need to start doing this. I wonder if I call random folks if they will give me money if I just ask? Apparently *someone* keeps giving money away, cause they keep calling, so I just need to get a master list of friendly rich folks....

Ill be back later.

As a LEO myself, the TN Sheriffs Assn. is a legit organization. They do support

law enforcement activities, as well as charity work, etc....

They say nothing about charity work online. Not a word.

There's one little mention of scholarships for law enforcement oriented students, but no info anywhere else about them, how to apply, whatever.

Color me unimpressed.

- OS