Setup cost for reloading

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the cheap smart reloader press 20.00 lee dies pistol carbide 35.00 lee ram prime 10.00 65 dollars you can load a pistol cartarige using the lee dipper system it works and works well .

for a better system a lee kit comes with more stuff but basic loading you can get it done withthe 3 items noted

if i were just starting out i would get the lyman expert kit you are going to end up with everything in it any way

My first reloading setup was an old Lee Hand press and Lee powder dippers. Today you can get that setup with some powder and primers for a bit over $100. There are several choices for a single-stage press complete setup from Hornady, Lee, Lyman, and RCBS ranging from $100-200. A set of dies, powder, and primers will run another $70-80.

Beginners should not start out with a progressive press. You need to learn too much and a progressive press makes things happen too quickly for you to understand where the dangers are. Even with my Dillon 550B, I still use my old RCBS RockChucker for some tasks. So getting a single-stage press first will not be a waste of your money.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been reloading for 30 years, and I'm still adding suff.

What he said. I've only been reloading for 3 years ... you are never fully setup.

Beginners should not start out with a progressive press. You need to learn too much and a progressive press makes things happen too quickly for you to understand where the dangers are. Even with my Dillon 550B, I still use my old RCBS RockChucker for some tasks. So getting a single-stage press first will not be a waste of your money.

Still use a single stage after 3 years. I do have a Lee Pro 1000 set up for 9mm, but prefer using a single stage to watch what I'm doing.

Unless you're using new brass, need to add in the cost for a tumbler as well. Also add in the price for calipers or another type of measuring device.

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
bad grammar :-)
Guest MERRILL

For loading for rifles, the classic Lee Loader works fine for me. About $25. For precision loading add about $ 15-20 for a Lee scale and all you need are components.

For pistols I use the Lee single stage press. I purchased the press as part of a kit that included all you need except components and dies for about $100. You can spend more, but why?

Guest HCRoadie

I bought A LOT of my parts and pieces used, but in perfect or in box condition. eBay was a great source to get gear. I have a bit more $ than some in my rig. I like tools and gadgets and stuff. I'm probably $400 to $500 in, and using a USED Lee Loadmaster. But I am having fun and make very accurate/consistent ammo for my .223, in addition to a good quantitly of 9mm, .45 ACP, .380ACO, 38 Special, and .357Mag. Also, Here is a link to a cost calculator. There are many like this one out there

Handloading Cost Calculator

Guest TackleberryTom
It depends on your definition of being "set up." I've been reloading for 30 years, and I'm still adding suff.

Totally agree!!

Beginners should not start out with a progressive press. You need to learn too much and a progressive press makes things happen too quickly for you to understand where the dangers are.

Too quickly? You can load one case at a time if you want. I don't agree with that at all. Buy a progressive if you want plan on shooting alot. My first was a Lee pro1000 with .45acp dies. Came as a package from Midsouth for $170 bought a digital scale and a few other acc for the press. $200 & 2hrs later I had 50 rounds to test.

I have loaded more than 2500 rounds so far on it. I have shot all but 50 of them. I know what is happening every time I press down on the lever and every time I pull up on the lever. My press didn't come with a blindfold, I see and hear all that is going on with every bullet.

If you are looking for ULTRA accuracy you can remove the auto powder measure and dump your pre measured powder down the die if you want. You can run one case through at a time if you like as well. (I do recommend that until you have all the dies set up)

I also highly recommend buying a vibratory bowl case cleaner/polisher. That will make your brass look like new.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Factory ammo is assembled by machines with very little human oversight, I watch every bullet I make, I know which one I trust more.

I bought A LOT of my parts and pieces used

+1. I buy all the used dies, bullets, and brass I can. This is a great savings, especially when you can find a large lot someone is getting rid of. I bought almost 30 boxes of .257 bullets a while back for $120. I sold 6 boxes of that lot for $60. I now have more than 20 boxes of bullets for $60. A lot of them are Nosler, and are near $30 a box new. $20-$25 per die set used is normal, while they are much more expensive new. Same thing for brass.

Totally agree!!

Too quickly? You can load one case at a time if you want. I don't agree with that at all. Buy a progressive if you want plan on shooting alot. My first was a Lee pro1000 with .45acp dies. Came as a package from Midsouth for $170 bought a digital scale and a few other acc for the press. $200 & 2hrs later I had 50 rounds to test.

I have loaded more than 2500 rounds so far on it. I have shot all but 50 of them. I know what is happening every time I press down on the lever and every time I pull up on the lever. My press didn't come with a blindfold, I see and hear all that is going on with every bullet.

+1

A Dillon 550 can be used to roll 400 rounds an hour, or it can be used as a slow, deliberate, single stage press. Most people who work full-time and shoot ammunition in significant quantity will soon appreciate a progressive reloader, especially if they shoot hanguns. Any competent person can safely operate one.

With some help, I just got started reloading myself. I don't have everything I want, but I have everything I need. I saved brass for a long time, so I wouldn't have to buy any then I got:

$125 - Lee Deluxe Reloading Kit (Turret Press with Auto Index, Auto Disk Powder Measure, Safety Scale, shell holder, primer pocket cleaner & other case tools)

$ 35 - Lee 3-Die set for 9mm

$ 17 - Lee factory crimp die (optional)

$ 23 - Lee Saftety Prime System (press mounter primer feeer)

$ 63 - Frankford Arsenal Master Kit (tumber, media, media seperatory, and brash polish)

$ 7 - Powder measure riser (keeps powder measure from bumping primer system)

$270 Total for equipment

I wish I had looked around for used equipment, but I got too impatient. I could have gotten used progressive outfit cheaper.

I would buy the Lee hand held primer over any press mounted one. The reason is with a press mounted one you are tied to the press. With a handheld one you can prime anywhere. I have several press mounted primers but almost always use the hand held. I will sit and watch TV while I prime cases. Another advantage is they are cheaper as well.

Dolomite

I would buy the Lee hand held primer over any press mounted one. The reason is with a press mounted one you are tied to the press. With a handheld one you can prime anywhere. I have several press mounted primers but almost always use the hand held. I will sit and watch TV while I prime cases. Another advantage is they are cheaper as well.

Dolomite

Dolomite

You gave me the same advice, but I had already bought both. I only started using the hand primer this weekend. Not only is it portable, like you mentioned, but it also seats the primers more consistently.

i like a camdex it has 3 hoppers 1 for primers 1 for powder and 1 for bulllets works great would i recomend one for a new reloader no

while i have a 550 dillon i load most of my ammo on a single stage press either a lyman or most of the time a co-ax press

i do load most of my pistol ammo on a dillon square deal b or a star dillon copied star just got an ammo load to load 45 acp

with all that said you can start reloading with a lee kit that uses a hammer for about 25.00

i do recomend starting with a single stage press yes i know lots of folks tell you get something faster well i sell reloading stuff

every day some a few can do that mostly with lots of mentering as far as buying reloading stuff you will never get enough

by the way the lee priming tool is the best way to prime by far dont expect to save alot of money reloading because it will make you shoot much more

i like a camdex it has 3 hoppers 1 for primers 1 for powder and 1 for bulllets works great would i recomend one for a new reloader no

while i have a 550 dillon i load most of my ammo on a single stage press either a lyman or most of the time a co-ax press

i do load most of my pistol ammo on a dillon square deal b or a star dillon copied star just got an ammo load to load 45 acp

with all that said you can start reloading with a lee kit that uses a hammer for about 25.00

i do recomend starting with a single stage press yes i know lots of folks tell you get something faster well i sell reloading stuff

every day some a few can do that mostly with lots of mentering as far as buying reloading stuff you will never get enough

by the way the lee priming tool is the best way to prime by far dont expect to save alot of money reloading because it will make you shoot much more

Want to sell your 550?

Guest TackleberryTom
dont expect to save alot of money reloading because it will make you shoot much more

You are absolutely right. I shoot 10X what I did before I reloaded.

Hmm, I think I have some new loads I need to try right now.

You gave me the same advice, but I had already bought both. I only started using the hand primer this weekend. Not only is it portable, like you mentioned, but it also seats the primers more consistently.

I didnt like the handheld at first but it has grown on me. Once I moved from stuff that can stay on the press (turret press) to calibers that require trimming and so on, its usefulness became more clear. I dunno about handling explosives while watching TV, but then again, its still fairly new to me too and I prefer to dedicate all my attention to the task for now. For a single stage, the hand tool looks even better than for my setup, definately worth it as they are fairly cheap.

Just found out that bass pro is going to be doing some seminars this weekend. I'm going to attend so that I can finally see first hand what is involved. I'll likely pick up a kit afterwards as well.

Well I got out of it exactly what I wanted. I got to see the process step by step. Now I have a much better idea of what people are talking about when I read these threads. I also understand better what I need to get started.