TN train related family activities

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

I have a son that like many young boys is into trains. We moved here just a few years ago now and I don't know of any good attractions to take him to. It would be a plus if we could ride on them and not just see them.

Anyone know of any that are good?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac
I have a son that like many young boys is into trains. We moved here just a few years ago now and I don't know of any good attractions to take him to. It would be a plus if we could ride on them and not just see them.

Anyone know of any that are good?

It's not in TN, but Bowling Green has a train museum that is a very short distance from you.

Historic RailPark And Train Museum, Bowling Green, KY

Guest HvyMtl

Tennessee Central Railway Museum, Nashville, TN. (also, go to Centennial Park in Nashville to look at the last Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis steam locomotive, a 4-8-4 static display.)

Tennessee Valley RR Museum, Chattanooga, TN (check website for steam dates)

Kentucky Railway Museum, New Haven, KY (last L&N Steam Locomotive- Active. Check website for steam dates.)

Come one down to chattanooga, its got a lot of train stuff. The railroad museum has rides and lots of goodness, and the national cemetary has the resting place of the andrews raiders, and the incline almost counts (it may or may not be of interest to you, but if you can ride it in the fall its a nice view of the leaves and such). The area also has daily commercial trains that you can get stuck in traffic watching at a variety of locations, all for free!

....My wife, Mother in-law and Sister In-law took a ladies day out trip on the TN Central Railway Museum just last month. Left nashville and looped around Monterey and back. Was a heckuva lot of fun they said.

TC Railway Museum .....

This is a neat place!! Highly recommended. Depending on how old your son is; ya need to put out an APB to some of our brother TGO'ers to allow his to see a locomotive up close and mabee even get in the cab. I would recommend this for the bigger kids --- say 8 or 9 up. There is also a great place in chattanooga called the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (...Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum - chattanooga, TN ...). It is a wonderful place; highly recommended. For the ultimate in railroad coolness; here is the place:

Cass Scenic Railroad State Park . Its a long way away; but it is truly a great thing!!

Have fun!!!

leroy

Not as cool as some of those others, but there's Red Caboose Park in Bellevue. It's on Hwy 70 between Old Hickory Blvd and I-40. It's what the name says...a park with a red caboose in it. You can't get in the caboose, but the play area is pretty good for kids up to about 10 years old or so.

A fellow TGOr and our wives took the long trip, Copper Hill Special in the fall of 2010. Great all day trip.

oldogy

We want to do the long trip one day. "The Loop" is a fun trip. The cars are comfortable and the loop where the train crosses over itself is worth the price to see. We lucked up and had an entire car to ourselves.