8rnd mags not working in 1911?

Ok so I bought a 1911 a while back and ordered a few mags from cdnn, 2 7rnd, 2 8rnd, and 2 10 rnd. The 7's and 10's work great but the 8's nose dive into the feedramp and are a bitch to insert with the slide closed, ie 1 in the chamber. All the mags are the same manufacturer but it looks like the followers on the 8's are different. Anyone have any thoughts other than toss them and try a different brand?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ONLY 8-rounders that I've had 100% reliability with, in a variety of 1911s, are McCormick PowerMags.

This includes ACT/Novak (crappy feedlips), Wilson (weak-ass springs), etc.

The new Wilsons advertise stronger springs, but I haven't tried them.

I've recently been testing/using NightHawk 8-rounders (in only one 1911) and have had 100% reliability.

Edited by TN-popo
Ok so I bought a 1911 a while back and ordered a few mags from cdnn, 2 7rnd, 2 8rnd, and 2 10 rnd. The 7's and 10's work great but the 8's nose dive into the feedramp and are a bitch to insert with the slide closed, ie 1 in the chamber. All the mags are the same manufacturer but it looks like the followers on the 8's are different. Anyone have any thoughts other than toss them and try a different brand?

Why not swap the follower from a working mag. If it works order some followers.

• Admin Team
I've recently been testing/using NightHawk 8-rounders (in only one 1911) and have had 100% reliability.
You bought a 1911? I knew something felt off driving through Smyrna the other day.

In all seriousness, to the OP I like Wilson Combat 47Ds and ETM mags. I've never had a problem with either.

Edited by MacGyver
You bought a 1911?

:)

Just a play gun (John Harrison Custom Springfield 5" Bobtail).

I've always had a 1911 soft-spot...and owned a bunch over the years.

PS. Do you still have the pink hat?

Edited by TN-popo

What brand are these?

look at Tripps research if you want to replace the guts. They have great mag kits and great mags for that matter.

to the OP I like Wilson Combat 47Ds and ETM mags. I've never had a problem with either.

I agree with this. But just so you know the ETM mags have proprietery springs and followers. so if sometime down the road you need to rebuild you HAVE to use ETM stuff from wilson. Not a big deal just FYI

Guest NashvegasMatt

8's always have internal spring issues, correct me if I'm mistaken, but the 1911 was meant to hold 7+1... right?

8's always have internal spring issues, correct me if I'm mistaken, but the 1911 was meant to hold 7+1... right?

Nash is correct, the original box length is for 7+1. The different methods of squeezing 8 in the tube have met with varying success. The MCM/Shooting Star follower designed by Devel compresses to allow that 8th round. Some of the newer 8 round designs do away with a fixed floorplate and have the baseplate attached to a slightly longer tube allowing 8 rounds. These will stick out the bottom of a stock gun a bit, if that matters for your use.

My advice would be to hit up your buddies for as many different types of new or like new (they do wear out) 8 rounds mags as you can and see what works in your gun with your ammo.

Hilton Yam has an excellant article on 1911 magazines and what can go wrong with them.

1911 Magazines

They weren't high dollar mags, but I used to use Shooting Star 8 rounders along side the factory Colts in mine and never had an issue. Have you checked to see if it might be the lips at the top of the mag. I've seen some that had to be bent inward or out slightly to keep the shells angled correctly. Just a thought.

Edited by luvmyberetta

Every 1911 to Mag relationship is different. Sometimes certain mags just won't feed reliably in any certain 1911. Thats just the way it is, 7, 8, 10 rnd all can cause issues. I dont think your problem is 8rds, as much as it is the mag to gun relationship. Some 7rd Kimber mags dont feed right from the factory.

Every 1911 to Mag relationship is different. Sometimes certain mags just won't feed reliably in any certain 1911. Thats just the way it is, 7, 8, 10 rnd all can cause issues. I dont think your problem is 8rds, as much as it is the mag to gun relationship. Some 7rd Kimber mags dont feed right from the factory.

I fully agree with Lumber_Jack. Gun/mag tolerances vary heavily from manufactures to guns. I've had Colt, S&W, Taurus, Springfield, and Kimber 1911's in different barrel lengths, and the one constant is that mags that work in one won't necessarily function in the others.

I've had the best success with mags from Colt and Springfield; and the worst with those from Kimber. I got 3 kimber mags with my Ultra Carry II and had issues with them all. Bought some Wilson 47D mags and not had a problem, at least mag related.

I will say for me that the 47D is my mag of choice. I try to get a couple regularily, and as long as they continue to work for me, I'll keep using them.

I like the mec gar mags, haven't had problems with them. I haven't tried out kim-pro tac mags, anyone had experience?

I have two of the Kim-pros and 4 Wilsons, and haven't noticed a difference in performance between them, but I've put maybe 800 rounds through my .45 since I got it, so don't take my word like it was chiseled in stone or anything. Does anyone know if Kimber even makes their own mags? The Kim-pros look an awful lot like McCormicks, and re-branding mags is a common practice, e.g. Sig / Mec-Gar.