My opinion where need not carry

Guest 808-South

Im not trying to insult. I apolagize if some is offended. I truely believe "wishful thinking wont keep you safe"but also a life full of fear the terrorist wins.

There is a difference in being scared and being prepared. I carry to be prepared not because I am scared. Bad things happen to good people so I am always prepared. If I was scared to be in a particular place, I just would not go there whether I was carrying or not.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team
Im at Dollywood, And I noticed a young man in his early 20's carrying OWB under his shirt. At first I noticed the bulge then when he bent over I noticed the bottom of his holster. My opinion there is places I feel there is no reason to carry. A kid friendly, family amusement park. Im sure (I hope) he is a responsible owner. But there is no reason to carry in Dollywood. Its his right, and mine also. But if something would break out in Dollywood bullets flying would cause too much damage to the innocent. Some of us need to learn to handle it with our fist. A old fashion ass woopin would be more appropriate.

If you believe the 2nd Amemdment is a right, then either it applies everywhere, or it applies nowhere.

Unfortunately from a legislative and case law perspective, we're in a grey area of "not quite a right, but you can purchase the privilege". Kudos to Dollywood for recogniznig rights

In all honesty, I feel if a man, feels he need to be armed in Dollywood he must be a coward. And if he lives with that much fear. This man should not be allowed to carry. I pray he never come to a situation because his fear will cloud his judgement. And innocents may be injured.

I shouldn't need to be armed on my way to the grocery store, or getting money out of the ATM. But I am. I don't carry a weapon because I'm scared. I carry a weapon because I believe that as a husband and a father I have a responsibility to protect my family.

Threats don't stop along neatly drawn lines. Bad guys have no respect for anything or anyone. Look at the number of parks, restaurants and public gatherings blown up in Israel over the last couple of decades. If someone really wants to make a statement, they're going to where the people are.

I mean no disrespect to anyone. But at a amusement park...really????. My firearm is my last resort. I guess I was raised different. But Im not afraid to take a ass beating. Many people now rather draw first.

Give some thought to what happens when you're on the losing end of that beating and the assailant shows no signs of stopping. What happens when you cross the line from ass-whoopin to getting killed? You don't have a weapon - you're dead.

Really, the above is a bit of a trick question. When you strap on a weapon, different rules apply to you. You have no business fighting, and I would argue have the burden to retreat - even if it causes you humiliation, hurts your pride, etc... You don't get the luxury of those things when you strap on a weapon.

I respect all of your opinions.I think he should of concealed it better.

Maybe so, but that's his perogative in the state of Tennessee, and it really doesn't sound like he did too poorly.

Im not trying to insult. I apolagize if some is offended. I truely believe "wishful thinking wont keep you safe"but also a life full of fear the terrorist wins.

Wishful thinking won't keep you safe. Sometimes no amount of thinking will.

It sounds like you are a new permit holder, and maybe have some thinking to do about carrying a weapon. It really comes down to this: When you strap on a weapon, you're either an asset to society or a liability. There's no in between. Just carrying a gun isn't a magical talisman. You have the responsibility to know how to run it, when to run it, and to hit what you're aiming at every time. That takes thought, training and discipline.

It's something that we all need to revisit on a regular basis.

Edited by MacGyver

As long as I can't predict where trouble is going to happen, I prefer to be prepared for trouble everywhere. I carry at WalMart, Home Depot, Food City, and mowing my lawn. I'm not afraid of being in those places. I don't sit down and try to calculate the possibility of trouble before I go. I assume trouble is a possibility anywhere I go. And it is.

Once I get my crystal ball fixed and can predict where trouble will happen, I'll just predict the winning Lotto numbers and hire someone to take care of my security.

Guest 6.8 AR
I respect all of your opinions.I think he should of concealed it better.

Are you one of those who get all concerned when

they see someone carrying? Anywhere? I don't

follow. You must think gun free zones work, also.

If you are that insecure about others carrying, you

might reconsider the value of your own permit.

I'll carry everywhere I legally am able, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact of the matter is he doesn't have to conceal his weapon if he choses not too. And if I recall he said that it was under his shirt. Often times thats all that conceals my 4" 1911. if I bend down you will see the whole holster, maybe even the gun itself. but again thats my choice. You, as a gun owner, are more aware of others around you carrying. Id bet a dime to a doughnut 90% of the people he encountered that day, had no idea he was carrying

I agree, it is a matter of choice and I am grateful we live in a state that gives us that choice. I personally choose to carry concealed for safety reasons. I feel open carrying is like hanging a sign around your neck that says "shoot me first." I would rather look like a lamb and fight like a lion, but that's just me..........

Ya'll go easy on 808 South. Ya'll are like a pack of dogs on a Jack rabbit.

Edited by Will Carry
Guest 808-South
Are you one of those who get all concerned whenthey see someone carrying? Anywhere? I don'tfollow. You must think gun free zones work, also.If you are that insecure about others carrying, youmight reconsider the value of your own permit.I'll carry everywhere I legally am able, thank you."

Nah, I dont get freaked out when I see another person carry. I meet many people (mostly the young) that carry they have this attitude that "if they cant handle the fight" they have thier gun to back them up. I believe in walking away first. Try to reason & settle first. My firearm is my absolute last resort, unless the situation warrants immediate firearm response. Ive only been in TN less than 6 months and is still learning the ways here.

Edited by 808-South
Guest 808-South
I agree, it is a matter of choice and I am grateful we live in a state that gives us that choice. I personally choose to carry concealed for safety reasons. I feel open carrying is like hanging a sign around your neck that says "shoot me first." I would rather look like a lamb and fight like a lion, but that's just me..........Ya'll go easy on 808 South. Ya'll are like a pack of dogs on a Jack rabbit.
I feel the same way about carrying. I prefer not to advertise.
I agree, it is a matter of choice and I am grateful we live in a state that gives us that choice. I personally choose to carry concealed for safety reasons. I feel open carrying is like hanging a sign around your neck that says "shoot me first." I would rather look like a lamb and fight like a lion, but that's just me..........

Ya'll go easy on 808 South. Ya'll are like a pack of dogs on a Jack rabbit.

Well don't get me wrong I carry concealed 98% of the time. I agree on those points. But I don't feel like someone 'printing' in public deems him an unsafe or impractical gun carrier. And I certainly don't agree with the thought of areas you don't need to carry. But if 808 feels differently that's fine.

Most people in here feel very strongly about why and how they carry. 808 just learned that first hand

Guest 808-South

I appreciate the mature conversation. If we all agreed on everything the conversation would be boring. Id like to be friends with many of you. Check out my profile. Thanks for the knowledge

Guest clownsdd

808, just name one type of place in the U.S. be it a hospital, amusement park, courtroom, daycare, church etc, that has not had some kind of violence....it happens and can happen anywhere. The saying " I only carry when I going where I think I'll need to is...

Edited by MacGyver
Keep it civil

It's all good talk and I hope ya'll don't take offense to my jack jawing. The longer I carry a concealed weapon, the less I care about printing. It all depends on where I am going. Unfortunately some of the most dangerous places I go, do not allow concealed carry. That is when you must make a choice. I would never encourage any concealed carry holder to carry in a place that it is not allowed.

In North Carolina that includes Theaters (A man was shot to death in a theater in Raleigh not long ago), Hospitals (there was a gang shootout in a hospital lobby in Durham this year) i could go on but you get the drift........

Couple of points that haven't come up yet that may be worth considering:

1. Some people choose to carry at all times where it is legal to do so. It becomes a way of life and putting on their holster is no more unusual for them than putting on their shoes. It's not that "I'm going to carry a gun to an amusement park." It's "I carry a gun with me, and I happen to go places, including amusement parks." There is nothing at all wrong with this and those people are within their rights and within the law. It's like carrying a cell phone - you want it there when you need it.

2. Related to the first point - perhaps the person you saw would agree with you, that he doesn't feel he needs the firearm inside the amusement park either. However, he has to walk to and from his car in the parking lot, and then leave there and drive somewhere else. It's not always reasonable to disarm yourself in your car, lock away your pistol, and then leave it there (susceptible to theft), and then rearm when you get back to your car.

I think you're still in the mind-set that there's something wrong with carrying a gun, and that it should only be done in special circumstances. I know, it took me a while to warm up to the idea myself.

It is perfectly legal as long as you have a permit and follow all of the laws about restricted locations.

I here ya 808 SOUTH! At least the guy could have the courtesy to conceal his weapon. I am very careful in places like that to make sure no one can tell if I am carrying or not. In North Carolina you cannot carry anywhere that you have to pay to get in. That includes movie theaters, ball games, ect. We just got a law passed that lets us carry in state parks and on game lands.

I have to agree with this. If the wrong person saw his gun, the next thing you know you have some screaming Lib. pointing at him saying he has a gun. No use drawing attention to yourself. Pocket carry or IWB.

Guest bkelm18

808, I agree. I only wear my seatbelt when I think I'll need it. I mean I think it is totally cowardly to wear it anywhere but the interstate. I mean think about it? Only real men can handle a car crash, so what kind of pansy would where one? I mean, really.

Oh yeah... :lol:

Good job calling people who carry cowards. I mean who in their right mind would want to protect their family everywhere they go? That sure takes the fun out of life.

I respect that. My weapon is my last resort. If you check my profile I chose to put down as my weapon that I carry is my mind & my heart.I guess I got alot of learning to do. I am humbled.

Obiously you started a ****storm, lol. You did impress me with this post though. I respect a man that can admit he was wrong and can learn from it. I'm 56 and still learning. Everytime I think i know it all, somebody or something humbles me and I learn yet ANOTHER lesson.

Guest 808-South
Obiously you started a ****storm, lol. You did impress me with this post though. I respect a man that can admit he was wrong and can learn from it. I'm 56 and still learning. Everytime I think i know it all, somebody or something humbles me and I learn yet ANOTHER lesson.
Thank you
I mean no disrespect to anyone. But at a amusement park...really????. My firearm is my last resort. I guess I was raised different. But Im not afraid to take a ass beating. Many people now rather draw first.

I've gotten too old to run or fight. That don't leave many options, if I can't walk away.

Guest 808-South

I grew up in a state where no one carries but the law. I know its different here in TN. I am learning this really fast. I am learning that the danger levels is different here. I joined this forum to learn more about TN. Ive always Loved firearms. And really apreciate the fact I can excersize my rights here in TN. I never meant to offend and If I did I apolagize again. The "coward" comment came from my upbringing, where Im from we handle things different. Now in TN, I will be carrying. First its my right. Second the threat level is different here. And third I want to be part of the reason a criminal thinks twice of victimizing a innocent.

I've gotten too old to run or fight. That don't leave many options, if I can't walk away.

Me too brother! I remember when I was young and could run like the wind and fight like a house on fire but time catches up to us all if we're lucky. I'm not even sure I could defend myself with a handgun very well.....but at least I'd have a chance and if I go down, I'll go down fighting.

To the OP:

I respectfully submit that if you feel that way, don't get a carry permit. Consider the reasons you applied for one; some of us wish to carry anywhere and everywhere legally possible. The HCP holder needs to stay away from a situation that some folks would choose to use their fists. We are obligated to have the better judgment and WALK AWAY. If you don't have that better judgment, don't get a permit and don't carry a handgun.

Carrying a weapon is a responsibility.

Edit: No offense taken whatsoever. I don't think most folks will be offended.. you're just probably in for more than you bargained!

Edited by Glock30