HiPoint C9 range report.

Guest Xring04

Guest Xring04

Well after years of wanting one, but never finding one at the right price, I finally brought home a HiPoint C9.

Grand total paid....$119.24.

I found mine used but in like new shape at a pawnshop, and home with me it went.

Right off the bat.... Yes, I know it is ugly. It's too heavy and the trigger is horrid, yet for way less than I have paid just for sales tax on other pistols, I hoped I had a working gun.

As soon as I got home I grabbed 200 rounds of ammo, made a couple targets and headed out the door to shoot. I figured I would shoot till it malfunctioned and I assumed it would not be out in the heat too long.

IMG_4535.jpg

My first target ... not too good and the sights seem to be a bit low. 9 shots @ 10 yards.

IMG_4536.jpg

Second target is on the left.

IMG_4538.jpg

After getting used to the trigger, I decided to shoot the pistol as fast as I could and see if it malfunctioned. It worked flawlessly. Pic of muzzle after 200 rounds.

IMG_4540.jpg

All in all I am impressed with the cheap pistol. Sure it's not up to Glock,Hk,Sig quality but it works.

Field stripping the pistol (which is not recommended by HiPoint) is a pain in the rear, and had me searching for small parts that shot across the garage. After finding all the parts, cleaning and reassembling the gun was very simple.

In summary I am pleased with my sub $120 purchase.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap would not be my description of a HiPoint C-9 or other HiPoint product, I’d sooner use “inexpensive†instead. For all of their ungainliness, bulk and weight they work. The fact that they are a simple blowback design coupled with a heavy massed slide helps, I’m sure. However,having examined a few of them fairly closely I will point out the barrels are of a very high grade steel with excellent bores, rifling and chambers. That’s a pretty high degree of sophisticated machine work in my book, pretty is as pretty does. I may never purchase one of the pistol’s but somehow I believe one of the HiPoint carbines is going to end up belonging to me. By the way, you wrote an excellent range report that say's volume's about your pistol.

Edited by TNWNGR
Guest Lester Weevils

Congrats! Better shooting than I do with about any pistol.

Used to think they look ugly but changed opinion. Once you know what to expect they look fine. Kinda like that ole gal. :D

The first Hi Point 9mm I shot a friend got for 75.00 used from some "dude." I bought 500 rds of Russian ammo. We had two mags and a 12 pack in rural Stewart County. We loaded those mags as fast as we could. Shot 500 rds in an M9 target at center mass 15 meters, both of us retired Army. Never a bobble and when we were done we lookd at each other and said, "S....!!!!!!"

Then I got a Hi Pont 9mm carbine, shot it and was talked out of it. Got another carbine and was talked out if it.

Due to a volunteer job I have I have chopped up more Hi Points than most people in TN would have a chance too. I would rather chop up a S&W or Colt. The HI Points are a b.... to cut up and are hard on the chop saw blade.

I don't want to buy one but I would love to shoot a .45 Hi Point pistol, then pound tent pegs with it.

Cheap would not be my description of a HiPoint C-9 or other HiPoint product, I’d sooner use “inexpensive” instead. For all of their ungainliness, bulk and weight they work.

Excellent point, I respect your perspective.

I've heard them bad-mouthed so many times it's not funny. I assume those people are just ignorant about these guns. I'm guessing they figure that any gun that costs under $200 OTD must be crap, but they're wrong.

I went to a training class back in May and the instructor said someone brought one of his HCP classes. The instructor had never even heard of one and several people in class laughed and said they were guns for criminals. I was glad to hear the instructor say the guy with the C9 shot as good as anyone else with no malfunctions.

I have the 995 Classic carbine and have been very pleased with my purchase, $175 OTD for nib. After break in of 200 rounds, no FTFeed / FTFire / FTE I did a lot of research on the brand and aside from the "my buddy had one that exploded" stories, I never did find a verifiable HP kaboom. I have shot a C9 and didn't like the trigger either. For a handgun of it's weight, the only draw back I see is ammo capacity. Jeff Quinn / GunBlast did a nice write up on the 995 TS carbine and recommended it as a viable home defense carbine. Congrats on your purchase and don't forget about the lifetime no-questions-asked warranty. If you are into light gunsmithing, HP will send you the parts to replace in the event of breakage so you don't have to ship it back to HP.

Guest Xring04
Well, I don't think you can go wrong with that price. Congrats.

As a side observation, what kind of watch are you wearing in the pic? The band looks identical to an Omega Seamaster.

Good eye.

P1000416.jpg

Guest Aces&8s

I love my 995 carbine, and my C9 pistol now resides at my dad's house... just gives him a little extra protection to back up the shotty, should the need arise. Both have been very good guns, worth every penny I paid for them.

I've bought C 995 out of curiosity. I wanted to try straight blowback carbine, but could not afford Beretta Storm. I did not have any malfunctions. I like the trigger pull. After 1000 rounds I found no visible wear on the rifling. AK-47 shows the wear after 1000 rounds. I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy. The minimal number of moving parts also contributes to high reliability. The only bad thing about C 995, I can not mount a scope. There is no mounting point integral with the barrel/receiver.

I consider C 995 smartly designed and reasonably built from high quality steel and alloy.

.... The only bad thing about C 995, I can not mount a scope. There is no mounting point integral with the barrel/receiver. ...

Original stock model? It comes with a weaver scope base. You remove the peep sight assembly to use it, scope base screws fit into same holes. If you didn't get one 'cause you bought rifle used or something, call HP, they'll probably send you one free.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOyBq_O0cq5Hnmej3nETomi0hXejJEZGSMigu7jUw_py85vvVh

New one already has rail, you just remove peep sight assembly.

HiPoint995TS4Xcarbine.gif

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
is the HP pistol (and carbine, I guess) SAO design? The trigger looks like it, but you said the trigger was bad, what is the story on that? Bad compared to a $1500 1911?

Yeah, "single action" striker, in that slide must be cocked each time.

Trigger on C9 pistol and 995 carbine aren't horrible. Not quite Glock/XD level, way above a Sigma, way below most 1911s.

The HiPoint .40 pistol has trigger pinch for me for some reason, but the 9mm doesn't. Never shot the HP .45, or the carbine in .40 or .45.

- OS

I have a c9 and have had few problems with it. The main problem I have with it is that my hands are large and it is easy for my thumb to hit the mag release button when drawing the pistol. I also hate (HAAAAAAAATE) that it has a magazine disconnect..... But that seems to be the "cool" thing to do with pistols nowadays.

Yeah, "single action" striker, in that slide must be cocked each time.Trigger on C9 pistol and 995 carbine aren't horrible. Not quite Glock/XD level, way above a Sigma, way below most 1911s.The HiPoint .40 pistol has trigger pinch for me for some reason, but the 9mm doesn't. Never shot the HP .45, or the carbine in .40 or .45.- OS
Eh I consider the glock trigger to be horrible :) If I touch it and it does not go bang, I am not really thrilled by it. I didnt expect a tuned 1911 trigger on a $100 gun but was curious if it was like a cheap/sloppy/gritty "out of the box" 1911 trigger.

I bought a C9 last year. It's a definite love/hate thing for me. I love the ergonomics (with a Hogue slip on grip) It fits me just about better than anything. I love how it shoots, very accurate, very low recoil (due to the weight, I guess) I love how easy it is to maintian, throw it back in the toolbox after every range session & it still functions flawlessly! I love the fact that it just works, all the time, every time.

I hate the single stack magazine & low capacity. I hate the fact that it weighs slightly more than my truck. I hate the fact that it simply will not reliably feed hollowpoints, no matter what brand or what I do to the magazine lips. It simply adores American Eagle FMJ Flat nose though. It sees a lot of action with the AE FMJs too. I believe I've got over 1000 shots through it now with maybe 1 or 2 FTE (In all fairlness, probably me wobbly-wristing it though) I've never had a single FTF using it & it'll pop a Coke can at 20 yrds all day long.

All in all, I give mine an 8/10 Very good gun, but could be better in a few key areas. I would definately, 100%, however, rely on it working if & when I ever needed it to. It lives on my nightstand & I sleep like a baby.