Surefire 60rd Mag ... Are they out of their minds?!

• Administrator

I've been reading bits and pieces about this mag for the past few months and thought that surely the price point would fall considerably once they hit the street. Apparently not as I've received several advertisements from various vendors who now stock them at the low low price of $170-ish. :)

Are Surefire out of their damn minds?!? I think I'll just buy eight standard 30rd mags instead of one Surefire 60rd mag and just get proficient at swapping them, the way every other AR shooter has been doing for the course of history. Definitely not for the average shooter, nor was it meant to be I presume.

SureFire High-Capacity Magazine, 60-Round

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Reloader's Bench in Mt Juliet when the Surefire rep came through. He had one of these with him. It certainly seems like overkill. It was very well made and solid. It was not gimmicky. It's like, quad stack. I wonder how much it weighs, full. The link you provided shows they also have a a 100 round version. Scary. Not sure I'd want all my eggs in one basket in case of a jam.

• Administrator

Granted these are designed for squad light weapons where reloading in the heat of things is not exactly something the operator wants to have to do. However, I'm sure that there are going to be gear whores who buy them up simply because it's the most "elite" new thing you can dangle from the underside of an AR platform. I won't begrudge a man the chance to spend his money his way, but it's just going to seem extremely silly to me the first time I see one of these at a range.

was watching the outdoors channel on cable and a show about three gun shooting came on. One of the competitors was using these and swore by them. he seemed to have no problems with them. Of course SureFire was one of his sponsors so just might have been some free advertising for the company

• Administrator
One of the competitors was using these and swore by them. he seemed to have no problems with them. Of course SureFire was one of his sponsors so just might have been some free advertising for the company

I'd say the odds are pretty good that it's in his best interest to swear by something provided to him for free by a sponsor.

However, I'm sure that there are going to be gear whores who buy them up simply because it's the most "elite" new thing you can dangle from the underside of an AR platform. I won't begrudge a man the chance to spend his money his way

And this is why the price will stay high. Too many trigger happy (with money) gear queers out there. They will sell these at this price. I can see their place, and I can see a justified higher price, but that's a bit excessive.

i would expect the price to ever down. all surefire items are high dollar. at some point i do believe all the top 3 gun gunners will have them. it is about time management and not making mistakes, not having to make a reload saves time and the chance to screw up a reload. it is also a much smaller package than say a Pmag with a extention. beta mags have issues in houses and close tight areas.

If folks will pay $250 for a Beta then these must be a bargain, right? ;)

I've gotten several of the Nordic Pmag extensions in goodie bags from matches and they are wonderful things.

Betas can be had for $130 now. They were the rage a decade or two ago but now they are cheap.

In a squad automatic role I would rather have a Shrike than an AR with a high cap mag. They were vapoware for a while but are shipping now. It can use belts or magazines. It is lighter than the SAW we are currently using. It is more reliable. They use a standard AR lower so the controls are familiar to most who would be using it. And because they are just an upper than can be swapped out easily if there is a failure immediate action won't fix.

They are pricey but the .gov can afford it. For me I couldn't justify it unless I aleady had a MG lower.

Dolomite

Guest drv2fst
Granted these are designed for squad light weapons where reloading in the heat of things is not exactly something the operator wants to have to do. However, I'm sure that there are going to be gear whores who buy them up simply because it's the most "elite" new thing you can dangle from the underside of an AR platform. I won't begrudge a man the chance to spend his money his way, but it's just going to seem extremely silly to me the first time I see one of these at a range.

This from a guy who dedicates space on his forum for Zombies. ;)

Of course they are silly for 99.9% of us but you are going to want one when the zombies come after you. But at that price, I guess I'll be swapping out 30 rounders as fast as I can.

I have been watching these since they were announced. I figured they would find a relatively small void and fill it. My guess is they they already have enough projected sales to justify releasing the product. I'll probably get one just for giggle effect, once the price settles in.

Gear whores...please don't tell my wife I am a whore:)

Guest Sgt. Joe

Now that is one Sure Fire way to put some rounds down range.:)

I cant say that I would not like to have one or two or five of them but the price is far too much IMO.

I doubt that I would ever pay that much for one of them unless I ever pay the price and get the permission:rolleyes: to have a full auto AR.

Since I dont have any intentions of doing that at this point in time I will just have to stick with my Low Capacity;) 30's:rolleyes:

Even with a full auto I dont think one could put more than 3 or 4, maybe 5 at most of the 100 round mags through it without giving the barrel a good while to cool down.

A cool idea and concept and really "About Time" as far as our military goes but on the civilian semi-auto side not so much so IMO. I am sure that they will sell plenty of them though, they certainly have the :cool:"Kewl":cool: factor going for them. But for me that money sure is a lot of ammo or standard mags.

Maybe if the price drops to half what they are asking now I would reconsider but I too doubt that will ever happen.