Knoxville Walmart has AR's

Bud's does not charge shipping. Their price is their price. The only additional fee is a 3% credit card fee.

As far as transfers go there are several shops in the area that charge $20 than a $10 TICS fee for a total of $30.

And as I said the Walmart price was $897 at the East Towne Walmart. There are still local shops that sell comparable rifles for $100+ less.

Dolomite

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just went down to Milan walmart and they also have the bushnell ar. I am new to the ar world. Are .223 and 5.56 interchangeable. A friend in the TN Guard told me a 5.56 receiver would shoot .223 and a .223 receiver wouldn't take 5.56. Is this true.

What could you buy a similar rifle for at an LGS?

3 options: Save a few bucks from Bud's or other reputable internet broker; get questionable service after the sale at WM; or spend a few more bucks local.

I would simply eliminate WM from the decision making process.

Imagine this: your WM EBR breaks, you stroll into the hunting dept, slap it down on the counter and request it be repaired under warranty. The clerk points out the owners manual comes with an insert that says 'do not return to retailer, call 800-328-7448 for warranty inquires and repairs'

Good luck, sir.

Local isn't always more. A local shop has quality AR rifles for $750. They are a custom shop that also sells their brand of AR rifles. And this isn't always abnormal. I have known several smaller shops to have guns cheaper than the big box retailers or Internet sights. The small, local shops have the ability to set their own price or give discounts. Most big box retailers or Internet sights are set in their pricing unless they are price matching.

Dolomite

Wonder if their return cashiers would blink if you tried to return one...

People forget Walmart claims the lowest price. But, what they actually do, is put a price lead item out (like a $10 coffee maker) to bring you in, but really make $ when you buy the better, more expensive similar item (like the $30 coffee maker with a timer...not discounted, and most likely marked higher than their competitors.)

And, due to how they do things, the price you pay is typically 3 to 4 times what their total cost was (purchase, shipping, stocking, store cost, shrinkage, etc.)

Back in the day, I worked there and they sold branded toilet paper for $0.64 a 4 pack roll, and the cost listed them as 0.14 for each pack...

Just went down to Milan walmart and they also have the bushnell ar. I am new to the ar world. Are .223 and 5.56 interchangeable. A friend in the TN Guard told me a 5.56 receiver would shoot .223 and a .223 receiver wouldn't take 5.56. Is this true.

In a nutshell, 5.56 & .223 are dimensionally the same. .223 came first, and was around for a while - then the military decided they wanted a faster cartridge for use. The 5.56 was developed, just think of it as a hot .223. Barrels stamped 5.56 will accept/shoot .223, as the chamber is intended for the higher pressure 5.56 cartridge. Some barrels will be stamped both 5.56/.223, but that is no different from it being stamped just 5.56. If barrel is stamped ONLY .223 you should NOT shoot 5.56 through it, as it is likely not designed to withstand the pressure of a 5.56 load.

Yes and no to what you said.

The 223 Remington started out as a 222 Remington Special. The Special was later renamed the 223 Remington but not after some design changes. The 5.56x45 designation only came around after the then experimental 223 Remington was adopted by the military.

Although the .223 Remington designation was around before the 5.56 designation the 223 was developed from the ground up as a military cartridge. It was long after the adoption of the 5.56x45 that a civilian version ever showed up in the market as the 223 Remington. The 223 was originally designed for use in the then new Gene Stoner design. Prior to the final design of the 223 there were tests that involved what later became the .222 Remington and the .222 Remington magnum. The .223 was developed based upon a combination of several cartridges and designed to fit the AR action. Even the 222 Remington and the 222 Remington Magnum were experimental cartridges that were later released as a commercial caliber.

The original 223 was a whole lot faster than anything used today. As a matter of fact since going away from the 55 grain bullet velocities have dropped significantly as well as the catridges effectiveness. And then there is the cahnge in twist. Since making the bullets heavier and the twist fast the cartridge has went from a decent performer to a miserable performer when compared to its former self.

The only difference between a 223 chamber and a 5.56 chamber is the throat. The 5.56 has a longer throat to allow the extra psi to drop before the bullet engages the rifling. There is nothing to do with strength differences as you can take a 223 chamber and cut the throat to 5.56 dimensions.

And if you look at most of the popular calibers today they all started out as a military cartridge before being released as a commercial loading.

Dolomite

Yes and no to what you said.

The 223 Remington started out as a 222 Remington Special. The Special was later renamed the 223 Remington but not after some design changes. The 5.56x45 designation only came around after the then experimental 223 Remington was adopted by the military.

Although the .223 Remington designation was around before the 5.56 designation the 223 was developed from the ground up as a military cartridge. It was long after the adoption of the 5.56x45 that a civilian version ever showed up in the market as the 223 Remington. The 223 was originally designed for use in the then new Gene Stoner design. Prior to the final design of the 223 there were tests that involved what later became the .222 Remington and the .222 Remington magnum. The .223 was developed based upon a combination of several cartridges and designed to fit the AR action. Even the 222 Remington and the 222 Remington Magnum were experimental cartridges that were later released as a commercial caliber.

The original 223 was a whole lot faster than anything used today. As a matter of fact since going away from the 55 grain bullet velocities have dropped significantly as well as the catridges effectiveness. And then there is the cahnge in twist. Since making the bullets heavier and the twist fast the cartridge has went from a decent performer to a miserable performer when compared to its former self.

The only difference between a 223 chamber and a 5.56 chamber is the throat. The 5.56 has a longer throat to allow the extra psi to drop before the bullet engages the rifling. There is nothing to do with strength differences as you can take a 223 chamber and cut the throat to 5.56 dimensions.

And if you look at most of the popular calibers today they all started out as a military cartridge before being released as a commercial loading.

Dolomite

I actually knew most of the detailed history, but I guess where I was wrong is I thought the 223 was originally a civilian round gone military. I mainly wanted to point out to the poster I quoted the need to know differences so they don't blow their gun up, and for simplicity sake.

...and I didn't want to type everything up either, which you have done a fantastic job of doing!

Thanks....I am a very experienced gun owners so will try very hard not to blow anything up. I have never done anything in .223 / 5.56. I have more experience with the bigger calibers and was always curious about the difference in the two. Everything I own is lever action or bolt action and I am looking to expand into something more fun to shoot.

What Walmart was it? North Knox?

The one at East Towne mall, Kinzel way.

If you are in the market for an AR give a local shop a look before buying from Walmart. If you must buy from Walmart go back through this thread and find the cheapest Walmart price. Then let the store you are buying from know the price and the store for the lower price. They may not match competitors but they will match other Walmart stores.

I seriously think you would get a comparable product for a lot less buying from a local shop. PM me if you want a recommendation.

Dolomite

I'm not looking for a new AR. The way you described the lady working at the store I thought it was the woman at the Clinton Hwy store. I tend to set back and listen to people at the gun counter. It's funny how the clerks and customers go at it sometimes and the woman at the Clinton Hwy store doesn't hold back.

I'm not looking for a new AR. The way you described the lady working at the store I thought it was the woman at the Clinton Hwy store. I tend to set back and listen to people at the gun counter. It's funny how the clerks and customers go at it sometimes and the woman at the Clinton Hwy store doesn't hold back.

I like going to any place that sells guns just to hear the ridiculous BS from both sides of the counter. Haven't been disappointed yet. :)

One thing that is amazing is one of the workers in the sporting goods section of this Walmart comes across as a staunch anti gunner. I have spoke to him on several occassions. I was there when he has said hollow points are only good for killing and maiming and that they shouldn't be sold. He also said a 45 auto shouldn't be in the hands of civillians because it is such a destructive caliber.

I am sure his views have cost the store some sales.

Dolomite

Just think of how many people have played with and since it's Wal-Mart ABUSED the rifle before you buy it.

I bought a Savage .243 from Wal-Mart years ago. I HAD to take the one on display. I was told that is their policy?

My rifle was fine...But just imagine the people (Wal-Mart People) that have screwed with it before you buy it.

Just think of how many people have played with and since it's Wal-Mart ABUSED the rifle before you buy it.

I bought a Savage .243 from Wal-Mart years ago. I HAD to take the one on display. I was told that is their policy?

My rifle was fine...But just imagine the people (Wal-Mart People) that have screwed with it before you buy it.

I've bought one .22 rifle and was there when a friend bought a rifle. On both occasions They did not give either one of us the display.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk