FFL refused to do transfer??

CM1021

So I called a local FFL today that I have done a transfer with in the past and because he has good prices on his fees...so I call him to make sure the fee is still the same and get it all set up and he asks what I'm wanting. I tell him what I'm wanting then he said he wont do it because he carries a lower that is nowhere near the bcm I'm ordering!! This is the second time he has given me a hard time about doing a transfer!! Has anybody else ever had a shop refuse to do a transfer? I mean if I was wanting something he had in stock or something even close it would be different but he can't touch the lower I'm wanting!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only problem I've experienced in this area is when it's something the dealer can get or has on hand. It's never been a problem when it's something older, out of production, etc. I can see the point; why should they lose money on a sale of something they can readily get for you? On the other hand, why would they want to turn down the transfer money? It's a difficult spot.

I've heard of many shops refusing to do a transfer if it is an item they keep in stock. I just did a transfer at Guns and Leather not too long ago and it went great. I had a buddy do a couple before me and he ran into a situation where what he was going to order online was something they had in stock. Guns and Leather gave him a discount to match the online price and he ended up buying the weapon from Guns and Leather. Some of these smaller gun shops seem to get offended at the idea of folks going online to find firearms, but it comes down to money. Why would I pay $600 for something I can find online for $400? I'm all about supporting local businesses, but those businesses also need to realize that the consumer landscape is changing and they need to figure out how to change with it or go out of business.

One local business charges over $100 for transfers whether they have the firearm in stock or not. The mere question of doing an FFL transfer incited animosity from an employee there. I will never step foot in that establishment ever again. People wonder why small businesses are being beat out by wholesalers... it isn't just because of the better deal.

Well the problem I had is that he just had a plum crazy lower and a delton lower in...neither of those touch a bcm!! And he said he wasn't going to do the transfer because he had two lowers in I could buy!!

You need to find a new FFL.

If you see yourself coming to middle TN anytime soon, you can have the guys at D&T Arms do the transfer for you at $10 transfer + $10 TICS = $20 OTD.

I've done I think 3 or 4 with them without ever an issue. Good group of guys there and worth the drive :D

Guest Aces&8s
Well the problem I had is that he just had a plum crazy lower and a delton lower in...neither of those touch a bcm!! And he said he wasn't going to do the transfer because he had two lowers in I could buy!!

Check with Tri-Cities Gun Depot in Elizabethton... They will probably be happy to do the transfer.

It's his business. He can do whatever he wants.

If you think about it long enough, were you to be in his shoes, what might you do?

Lose a sale for a transfer fee? When you could have sold something?

Find someone who doesn't mind losing business or doesn't sale those items. I doubt the

transfer sales business makes him that much money, anyway. The one I use doesn't have

a retail store, so he doesn't mind.

My suggestion, go take your business elsewhere. Then after your purchases, come back with a copy of the receipts, and show him how much $$$ he lost.

Then advise him you will no longer buy there, and will tell all your friends, and everyone on this forum, about his lack of customer service.

Simple: He wants to sell stuff, then he should try to be easy to deal with. Yeah, a transfer fee might not be much $, but being polite and giving good customer service might just win you a new customer.

Acting like he did, just ended a customer relationship. Do that too often, and you don't have a business.

Edited by HvyMtl

I just recently applied for an FFL. The profit margin on guns is so small that I would think a $25.00 transfer fee would equal about half the profit of a gun sale without the dealer having to invest $500 in the gun first. It may not be as good as selling a gun but a few transfers can pay the light bill until you can sell the gun. Plus if you can keep a customer coming in he will probably find something else to buy like ammo, holsters,another gun,etc.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
There is a FFL on here who liked the fact he was on Bud's FFL list. He said it gives him more business.

That is something these FFL's need to do is realize that they might be loosing out on additional accessories after the transfer.

Dolomite

The "add on" or "attachments" are what retailers strive to get when a customer is in their store.

This. A transfer is easy money - and often a higher margin on low cost guns than what the store would often make if they inventoried the item. I'd be just as happy paying a higher transfer fee on a high dollar gun just so as to avoid the tax bite! a $2000 gun = nearly $200 in sales tax!

I just recently applied for an FFL. The profit margin on guns is so small that I would think a $25.00 transfer fee would equal about half the profit of a gun sale without the dealer having to invest $500 in the gun first. It may not be as good as selling a gun but a few transfers can pay the light bill until you can sell the gun. Plus if you can keep a customer coming in he will probably find something else to buy like ammo, holsters,another gun,etc.

I try to buy from forum dealers. Before I buy I send them an email or PM and ask them if they have what I want or if they can get it, and a price.

Sometimes that works, sometimes they don’t even respond back, and sometimes they give me a price that makes me laugh. :rolleyes: The last three guns I bought from Buds or CDNN were because the forum dealers didn’t have them.

I use a shop that doesn’t stock many guns, but apparently does a pretty good transfer business. If I email him and he can get it for me at a decent price; I do that and don’t have a transfer fee.

I can’t blame these gun dealers for not wanting to do transfers. And they can’t make $25 on a gun sale and keep a store open with employees.

i was in a gunstore today and he refused to do a transfer from cdnn.after the person left i told him how stupid that was now he has missed a chance to have a buyer in his store 2 times doesnt add up yo me.sell him some ammo or holsters or cases something.i later saw the guy he said cdnn found him a dealer to do transfer for 20.00 now that dealer has chance to sell other things to the buyer

IMO,

Well, the local shop's got the FFL and we don't. Factor in the cost of getting an FFL ourselves and go through all the hassle and expense.

We could get in a situation where a local shop would do the FFL transfer for a fee that will make up the same profit they'd have if they ordered the item in to sell to us at their markup. Just price the FFL transfer service for what the market will bear. If we don't want to meet that price for the FFL transfer we'd shop elsewhere and they wouldn't lose money on the transaction. Everyone's got to eat.

Generally, we ought to be willing to pay a few dollars more for an item from a local shop as the local shop doesn't charge us $20 every time we ask a half-hour's worth of advice about something. It is the height of bad manners and just bad business to burn up counter time from a shop and get good advice, and then order it online for a better price. And, people DO that, all the time. "I'm just watching out for myself to get the best price." No, not really. You're burning up a shop's time-is-money for no return on their part.

IMO.

Businesses aren't successful in terms of single sales. They are successful through repeat business and word of mouth.

I had a similar experience at Tennessee Gun Country, where they wouldn't do transfers for private sales. I thought this was odd and so I inquired about it. I had my preconceived notions when I asked, but the person at the counter explained to me about some new requirement from the ATF that requires some additional paperwork for doing transfers of private sales. I expected to get a line about how internet sales are the devil and how I have no right to shop around for a deal, but the person I spoke to was very polite and made a good point. I shop at Tennessee Gun Country all the time still.

Now, a few years ago I went into Grandpa's to inquire about an FFL transfer and the person there was rude and openly hostile towards me when I asked. As far as I'm concerned that's bad business/customer service/customer relations and I haven't stepped foot in there since.... not even for camping gear.

IMO,

Well, the local shop's got the FFL and we don't. Factor in the cost of getting an FFL ourselves and go through all the hassle and expense.

We could get in a situation where a local shop would do the FFL transfer for a fee that will make up the same profit they'd have if they ordered the item in to sell to us at their markup. Just price the FFL transfer service for what the market will bear. If we don't want to meet that price for the FFL transfer we'd shop elsewhere and they wouldn't lose money on the transaction. Everyone's got to eat.

Generally, we ought to be willing to pay a few dollars more for an item from a local shop as the local shop doesn't charge us $20 every time we ask a half-hour's worth of advice about something. It is the height of bad manners and just bad business to burn up counter time from a shop and get good advice, and then order it online for a better price. And, people DO that, all the time. "I'm just watching out for myself to get the best price." No, not really. You're burning up a shop's time-is-money for no return on their part.

IMO.

If it were just a few dollars I would tend to agree. But it I can save 100 or more I will order online.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I go to this joint that will get me anything that they can't or don't normally order for 10% above their cost plus tax and background. If I have to ship it is $15.00 plus the actual cost of shipping. If it is something "weird" that they don't normally handle through one of their distributors they will do a transfer for 15.00 admin charge and the 10.00 background check. Plus I get a 10% discount on everything in the store with my retired military ID card. Why go anywhere else?

I go to this joint that will get me anything that they can't or don't normally order for 10% above their cost plus tax and background. If I have to ship it is $15.00 plus the actual cost of shipping. If it is something "weird" that they don't normally handle through one of their distributors they will do a transfer for 15.00 admin charge and the 10.00 background check. Plus I get a 10% discount on everything in the store with my retired military ID card. Why go anywhere else?

That's awesome, and they get their 10 percent above their cost, you get what you want, they're your supplier, you don't shop elsewhere, and everybody eats.